1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Jaberg Hermann, Sep 9, 2021.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice and guidance.

I would like to build a website but I've no idea where to start. I know what I want but just need to get an understanding where to start.

I know many people will say that it will be easier to pay someone else to do it but web design really interests me. I know it's going to be a really long road but I've got to start somewhere.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of what I need to learn.

The website I wish to build will be a dynamic website with a login portal for members/clients.

Up to now I've worked out from websites that I've visited that .aspx or PHP is required but I'm not sure which one.

Also HTML and CSS Style sheets.

Am I right in saying that if I used PHP I would use SQL but if I used aspx I would use sharepoint?

I'm a bit lost how it all fits together.

I don't want to be spoon fed I'm just looking for a bit of guidance.

Jaberg Hermann, Sep 9, 2021 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Back in the eighties I read a book by Laura Lemay as I remember. The title was learn html in just a week or something on that order. I read it and created my first web. Web design and development has come a long way since then but a good paper back is a starting point.

Check out your public library, they probably have a good selection of books you can use and/or check out the offerings at a community college near you. Once you get started and hopefully interact with other web geeks who will be able to offer some good ideas.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Smyrl, Sep 9, 2021 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd say stay away from asp.

PHP and MySQL will get you a long way BUT look at the Content Management Systems (CMS) that already exist and add your flair to the designs they ship with.

sarahk, Sep 9, 2021 IP
  4. clairedelunex

clairedelunex Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried both , I thinking asp is complicated.
    If you follow this order HTML -> CSS -> PHP
    Php wiil be so easier than other back-end language.

clairedelunex, Sep 15, 2021 IP
  5. c1lonewolf

c1lonewolf Member

Best Answers:
    Why use a title like "Website Design" and claim, "I know many people will say that it will be easier to pay someone else to do it but web design really interests me." Only to lead into all the other stuff. One has nothing to do with the other. Website Design deals with designing the overall look and feel of a website, front and or back, for the visual audience. Website Development deals with everything else.

javascript, php , asp ,c , c++ etc are all processing languages and have nothing to do with actual web design only web development and the only thing design oriented about mysql is "designing" the database correctly to maintain and connect to all the information. Content Management Scripts(CMS) are a dime a dozen on the net simply download one from a free site and they'll even setup the database for you and give you a basic template which you can play with and manipulate to your hearts desire.

c1lonewolf, Sep 16, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. Hafeez_CreativeHead

Hafeez_CreativeHead Peon

Best Answers:
    Create a design from scratch meaning and develop with html and css :)

Hafeez_CreativeHead, Sep 25, 2021 IP
  7. Dan321

Dan321 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try googling different possible techniques you can use to make your website.

There will be something that eventually will trigger your design flare!

Don't give up hang in there and it may take a while before you find the design flare!

Remember everyone has it including you!

[​IMG]

Dan321, Sep 30, 2021 IP
  8. gnu

gnu Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, HTML and CSS are a must when you start. You can also learn Git (a very nice CSV), Django (Python) or Ruby on Rails (Ruby) to build interesting web applications. Not all is PHP.

gnu, Oct 17, 2021 IP
  9. Andrii Ozemko

Andrii Ozemko Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest paying someone. Let me explain why I think so. I am a software developer; I am familiar with C#.NET, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and something else. And it is enough to build such a dynamic website. You need to spend years learning all you need to develop such a website. So it can be reasonable if only you want to be a professional software/web developer. Otherwise, it is better to find a skilled developer and pay him. Sorry, I understand this post can demotivate you, but it is better to provide you with an understanding of complexity.

Andrii Ozemko, Oct 17, 2021 IP
  10. gnu

gnu Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true. However, he also can buy a hosting+domain, install WordPress (automatic), choose a WP theme and start writing posts. I mean, if he only wanted to build a website to publish some pages or posts, WordPress would be enough, without requiring knowledge of web-dev technologies. I only want to mark this counterpoint.

gnu, Oct 17, 2021 IP
  11. shalom_m

shalom_m Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it is really a matter of what you want to do:
    1. Create a functioning professional website (go to a professional)
    2. Generate a functioning few pages on the web (try WIX, WP or any other website generator)
    3. Learn how to craft websites – start with HTML and CSS, graduate to JS and PHP and top it off with some other, more powerful back office languages.
    The last option is the longest but most rewarding, the first gives you the fastest rewards (and may be the cheapest).

shalom_m, Nov 19, 2021 IP