1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

website design

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by benjones82, Jun 18, 2005.

is there a course you can take online to learn about webpage design.
    was thinking of going to college in the evenings to do it but id rather do it on here

benjones82, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I think you are better off reading online tutorials, forum posts and purchasing a few good reference books. Unfortunately, in this field, by time book is published it is obsolete.

The quality of online education seems very poor at this point. Schools have thrown together online courses not to be left behind. My friend who teaches online took a course that listed streaming audio and video as topics. The program tools referenced in online course were no longger available. Companies had been gone out of business or been bought out by other companies. She e-mailed instructor numerous times and never received an answer.

Good luck.
    Shannon

Smyrl, Jun 18, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  3. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    HI Benjones,

I agree with Shannon...you can go far just working through free online tutorials at your own pace. Do a Google search and you'll pull up quite a few. Webmonkey is a good place to start.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/frontdoor/beginners.html

Have you done any web stuff at all? Did you want to learn code from the ground up or try to use an editing program like Dreamweaver?

Dreamshop, Jun 20, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I agree as well :) The college courses cannot give you the on hand practical skills that you can aprrehend in forums where you can meet dedicated and successful individuals.

But then again: maybe I am biased because I hated school so much. I cannot stand it when professors go on and on about things that won't even benefit you in your carreer. Some of the most successful people never finished college and what sets them apart from the rest is determination and motivation and no school in the world can inject you with that.

Blogmaster, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  5. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had two people call me in the last month for help in learning web stuff. Both of them are taking classes at community colleges and said they felt that the teachers were glossing over much of the basics (like how to actually upload and go live with a site once you've created it).

*shakes head*

Dreamshop, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have seen things like that myself. The best coders and most creative designers are often self tought. You can't kill creativity or motivation. But you cannot teach it either.

Our education system is seriously bad. Like my highschool years. All the money being wasted on nothing. I should have gotten a job when I was 14. At least it would have tought me some discipline earlier in life.

Blogmaster, Jun 22, 2005 IP