1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website design terminology question

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Steve Nordquist, Jul 5, 2018.

Hello all, I am in the learning stages and have a website development terminology question. So I am working on and learning how to create a site where users can purchase goods I will have for sale and be able to have them delivered but not right away. They will be going into a digital storage area and when they are ready the will be able to request the shipment of their current holdings. In order to for them to be able to complete this task and also be able to view their digital “shelf” what would that type of site be called and what would I need to search for in say a wordpress add-on or template search?? I’ve been looking under membership sites and how to create them but I’m missing the storage and viewing of their assets portion. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Skndivers

Steve Nordquist, Jul 5, 2018 IP
  2. worldintercom

worldintercom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello! If I remember rightly you need to create the online shop with delivery service. So, please explain do you need to use already completing solutions or do you want to create for yourself?
    If you want to create it then only one "website design" isn't enough.

Firstly, you need to develop a server side of you web-application for business-logic of your shop. It's a very labor-intensive process and it needs a knowledge definite technologies.

worldintercom, Jul 11, 2018 IP
  3. Auspaktrade

Auspaktrade Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try buying a template, it has everything integrated (Shopping cart, contact form etc.) and it wouldnt cost you more than 70 - 80$.

Auspaktrade, Jul 11, 2018 IP
  4. Steve Nordquist

Steve Nordquist Peon

Best Answers:
    Thankyou both for your replies. So a little more info to help the thought process. I would be selling physical items let’s say 10 separate items. Customers would purchase certain items and they would be stored in their “digital locker” and when they were ready to receive those items say a month down the road they would login to their account and press a “deliver my items” button to take delivery of those items. I would like them to be able to login at any time to see what they have purchased at any time if they like so I’m assuming a database is necessary. Is there such a Wordpress plugin in existence?? Thankyou again for taking the time I am researching every day to learn more this one just has me stumped thus far.

Steve Nordquist, Jul 15, 2018 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You'd start with a standard ecommerce site - so WordPress + WooCommerce would be one to review.

You then need to find out about addons for the site that allow delayed or scheduled shipping. I've never done this for a site, or used it as a buyer, so I'm not sure how it works and can't recommend a site to review. Maybe start with this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/order-delivery-date-for-woocommerce/ and you might need to code a plugin on top to allow for the delivery to be postponed/held.

Your question about needing a database tells me that you're not technically skilled so you may want to hire someone for the install and custom coding you'll need to get the site just right.

sarahk, Jul 15, 2018 IP
  6. Steve Nordquist

Steve Nordquist Peon

Best Answers:
    Sarahk,
    Thankyou for that quick response. You are quite correct as I am very new to the website creation world. I have been on computers since the Commodore 64 so I’m a quick learner just not well versed in the programming world. I am currently taking a WordPress course so I’m learning about the plugins and features and I’m fairly certain I will be seeking professional help just don’t want to be totally clueless when working with them and trying to describe what I’m looking to do. I agree with your approach and I’m going to follow your advice to see what I come up with. I guess the closest thing I could liken this to would be similar to Audible where you purchase items, they stay in your own personal library and you can access them anytime but instead of choosing an item in your library to listen to, you would choose an item in your locker to have delivered. Thanks again for your guidance.

Steve Nordquist, Jul 15, 2018 IP