1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website design philosophy?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Alto Pluma, Jan 19, 2014.

What's your design philosophy when it comes do website design? Do you follow what works or do you try to stick to what you want to convey to the world? Thoughts are very much appreciated.

Alto Pluma, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip Active Member

Best Answers:
    Half of both. What works + some flashy features that will add flavour to the website.

meetdilip, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  3. slime

slime Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your content and audience. You design around that. If you do it any other way then you are doing it wrong. But of course it's not always possible to design with content in mind, which in that case you draw from past experiences and new inspiration. You mimic what looks good, what works, what's trendy, and always with a pinch of your own style.

Really just need to see the product from the eyes of your users. Once you can relate to their experience you will be able to cater to what they need to get them to do what you want them to do. Colors, white space, balance, hierarchy, and more all come to mind when making things pleasant. Like they say, the devil is in the details and sometimes your users won't know why they like something they do, but that's because you, as the designer/developer has paid attention to the details and know what they want, things they can't put into words.

slime, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  4. hipindi

hipindi Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally, I follow what works (the trend) but somewhere, I try to insert some personal touch.

hipindi, Jan 19, 2014 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That's ... vague, not certain I understand that part of your question at ALL.

My design philosophy though is CONTENT FIRST -- content dictates the markup... markup and content dictates my layoutS -- and yes, that's PLURAL!!!

It's why I don't waste time dicking around drawing goofy pictures in Photoshop as that's the road to /FAIL/ if you are planning on elastic semi-fluid responsive layout and/or give a flying purple fish about accessibility. That nonsense is typically putting the cart before the horse, and just encourages halfwit flashy garbage that typically has no business on a website in the first place; see fixed width equal height elements, fixed height background images, massive background images, fixed width banners, as well as scriptardery like image sliders and accordions.

Take content or a reasonable facsimile, mark it up semantically, bend that markup to your will with CSS to make your layoutS (again, PLURAL) adding semantically neutral containers (DIV, SPAN) when/if needed, using colors that *SHOCK* follow the accessibility guidelines so people can actually READ IT, then and only then going into some goofy paint program to make the non-content images to be hung on the layout (if any - thanks CSS3!)... then and only then enhancing the page with scripting -- following the unwritten rule of javascript; if you can't make the page work and be useful without scripting, you have no business adding scripting to it.

But that's because I place a much higher priority on function than I do form. Not saying you can't make a pretty site, but starting out thinking "what's it going to look like on screen" is back-assward dipshit idiot garbage that results in broken inaccessible train wrecks.

deathshadow, Jan 20, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both but I do what works first and use what works as a foundation. It has to work to get out there and make it into searches, if not it is just a personal vanity page no one looks at.

averyz, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  7. sweatseo

sweatseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think content is the king first to plan content and then layout your design should support content.

sweatseo, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  8. John Michael

John Michael Member

Best Answers:
    I think best way to start design your template you need to ask from your client what he want and for what he make his/her website. You can see example from internet and also include some ideas in design from your own side. Take content from your client and start making your design. If want to see example then i suggest you the best template site templatemonster.com.

John Michael, Jan 21, 2014 IP
  9. sweatseo

sweatseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    if client don't have content then ?

sweatseo, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  10. jamesmorrison926

jamesmorrison926 Peon

Best Answers:
    My website design depends on the main services and the keywords, for which i have to design a site. It depends on the Client who wants to design a website for their respective purpose. Sometimes i just have to create a good design on a single topic rather than worry for the content part. That can be generated later as per the per page requirements.

jamesmorrison926, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If they don't know what they want on a website, and cannot come up with anything resembling content during the construction phase, they probably shouldn't HAVE a website... as then anything you do for them (like the goofy graphics one hangs on the content) ends up little more than dumping a can of shellac on a pile. No matter how pretty or good a design ends up, if they don't have content or cannot think of content, what purpose does it even serve?!?

Of course, that's why I think off the shelf templates are a truckload of manure... since they aren't designed for the end users content, you end up shoe-horning things in any-old way or designing content for the layout instead of the other way around. Again, completely back-assward thinking.

deathshadow, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  12. visualwebcreation

visualwebcreation Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There would be different factors to consider on designing a website. First and foremost is the nature of the website, is it corporate, creative or is it a blog website? Second is the audience, is it intended for businessmen or just readers? Third is the knowledge and standards on producing clean and effective websites. You must know these factors in order to help the clients on deciding the theme for the design. You can browse some websites at themeforest.net, they are really good!

visualwebcreation, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  13. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per my thoughts, Just read your customer mind and business nature before you start design.

creativewebmaster, Feb 5, 2014 IP
  14. John Michael

John Michael Member

Best Answers:
    Its depend on your client demand and web site . What your client want and for what you make this website. First verify the content and then start work on it. Because some people start work on template but they do not know for what purpose this web site will be made. Also use unique and quality content. To start work on template first see some example from internet and then start work on it.

John Michael, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  15. SKMoe

SKMoe Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, generally you want to think of the end user and design around that. You are really trying to display a lifestyle for the user. What ever you are selling or marketing you want the lifestyle to be on display.

SKMoe, Feb 24, 2014 IP