1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Design & HTML Learning

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Roni3381, Feb 19, 2013.

Hello I want to learn about web designing and HTML but i have not resources can any one tell me a website , books or videos tutorial for learning

Roni3381, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  2. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are vast amounts of resources freely available. You managed to find your way here easily enough right?

Download Notepad++ (Found here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.3.html) and a virtual server. (Found here: http://www.wampserver.com/en/)

Then experiment using tutorials online. Start off with a simple "Hello World" template and work yourself up using your own initiative.

I think everyone has their own preference on how they learn, but learning hands-on is a great way to start.

scottlpool2003, Feb 20, 2013 IP
    comanche82, indyonline and GMF like this.
  3. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    karthimx, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  4. scottlpool2003

Best Answers:
    scottlpool2003, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  5. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Meh... w3schools isn't as bad as w3fools wants it to be. They still have a long way to go, but it seems that they try to improve...

Anyways: Why not go with www.htmldog.com ?

Seems to be a solid site, that teaches HTML and CSS basics.

GMF, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  6. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you suggest any other good site better than w3schools if you learn please share that site rather than commenting on other.

karthimx, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  7. Graphic_Studios

Graphic_Studios Peon

Best Answers:
    I think w3schools is good i learned a lot from this website i started from scratch n learned a lot from it.

Graphic_Studios, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  8. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend the HTML Dog over w3schools too; its much easier to follow along because you're building actual sample website as you work your way through each tutorial section on HTML Dog verses w3schools examples. W3schools is still a good reference site for learning HTML and other programming languages tags. W3schools would be a much better reference site for learning programming languages if the examples were easier to follow along like HTML Dog has their website set up.

Also a lot of the programming books on Amazon can be brought relatively inexpensively if you purchase and download the Digital version (if available) to your iPad, Kindle HD or use Amazon Cloud Reader.

muffet, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  9. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think best way of learning is by experience. Open photoshop and experiment with all the tools, trying to design a simple site. Then get Dreamweaver and start coding your design. Search Google for examples. After you finish your first page, everything will be easier.

webcosmo, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  10. scottlpool2003

Best Answers:

Did you really just advise to start off by opening Photoshop and then move on to Dreamweaver???

Don't start with Photoshop and most definitely don't even contemplate using Dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG for that matter.

You were right by experience though. Experience is key with most things and its no different here. Ask any experienced web designer or web developer if they'd recommend Dreamweaver, 98% of them would say HELL NO! It writes useless code and limits you.

Download Notepad++ and start writing markup basic stuff, headers, footers, write your content and then style it, play about. Its all free! Download Notepad++ and WAMP and you have a free local website to play with.

Once you grap HTML and how to organize your content properly, then move on to CSS to add some sexy style to your content.

I don't believe Photoshop is needed for much more than creating banners, advertisements etc. You can still have a great looking website without the need to create the whole thing in Photoshop.

And don't forget, its about what you present to your users, so organization should come above something looking pretty.

scottlpool2003, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  11. Mario Poon

Mario Poon Peon

Best Answers:
    http://tdever.com, there you can find some good tutorials for web development, webmaster topics and related news, hope this helped

Mario Poon, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  12. John325

John325 Member

Best Answers:
    According to me, w3schools.com is the best place to learn all the web design courses.

John325, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  13. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can learn HTML, CSS, Web Design and other latest technologies from this website www.w3schools.com The example and learning method are easy for non technical person. I hope that will help you to learn more about web design

creativewebmaster, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  14. John325

John325 Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with this.

John325, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  15. -0-

-0- Active Member

Best Answers:
    This was a great read. Thank you.

I wish there was something like w3schools that actually gave the right information at least most of the time.

-0-, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  16. John B.

John B. Member

Best Answers:
    I learnt HTML and Java basic at w3schools.com .I think its cool, but it is always good to check other options.

John B., Feb 23, 2013 IP
  17. -0-

-0- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well...I mean, if you are completely new or forget some simple syntax or something and want to check...there is lots of easy to access information pending what page you are on there...and the try it editor is not completely horrible , again for simple things

However, the problem is...especially if you are new to this, (which I was a few years ago) and you start learning from w3schools (which I did), you don't know from what you are learning there, what to distinguish as right and wrong and as far as I was concerned, they were a school and I was a newb. I also did not know when I first started that they were not in any way affiliated with W3C.

Anyways...when you learn things the wrong way it is always harder to relearn to do something the right way because it is almost impossible to unlearn something once you experience it and assume it to be fact.

-0-, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  18. B_Hermelijn

B_Hermelijn Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone entitles to their own opinion, but to a certain degree, the statement of scott is the truth of how most web designers / web developers are.

Ask any web devolopers/web designers and they will tell you the same thing that dreamweaver is not the best way. As for w3schools, you can start there, but I would suggest checking out other resources before settling for w3schools alone.

As time went by, they continue to improve, but some of their codes are still considered as bad practices. So I wouldn't take every single bits of code and just re-apply the same thing, instead I would explore and experiment with each code and see what each of them does etc.

Tools that have already been mentioned above:
    Notepad++ (For best practice, do yourself a favor not to use dreamweaver)

For learning html/css:
    css-tricks.com
    http://learncss.tutsplus.com/
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

And lastly, start using that inspect element when you're at a web site. That way you will learn how they dev's coded their websites, and what the codes does etc.

Have fun!

B_Hermelijn, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  19. vicky110

vicky110 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to start your own website so first you have to learn about HTML than go for CSS (cascading style sheet) & Java script for form validation.
    You can give a very attractive look by Photoshop you can learn Photoshop by many online tutorials, I always use learnphotoshopcs2.blogspot.
    in It’s easy to navigate.

vicky110, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  20. Raghu Kanchiraju

Raghu Kanchiraju Member

Best Answers:
    Codeacademy.com is the best!

Raghu Kanchiraju, Feb 24, 2013 IP
    comanche82 likes this.