1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website changes affect on DMOZ approval

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by raconnor, Oct 21, 2011.

I'm sure there are some others who have had this happen to them, so I was wondering if you could share your experience/thoughts on this:

Months ago I made a new website that deals with classified ads for real estate. When I made the site, I listed it appropriately and everything. A few months went by and I still was not listed in DMOZ--something I expected. However, after some time I decided to add to my site and it has evolved into something more than just real estate classifieds. It now has real estate news and other real estate resources. The classifieds still exist, but they are now at a subdomain of the main url I listed with DMOZ.

Since the website has started to change and new additions have been added, the DMOZ category probably no longer fits. Does this mean I now will never get listed into DMOZ since my site has grown?

Is there any way of contacting DMOZ and explaining to them the changes of my site? If so, would this help at all?

Sadly, I feel like because my site evolved into a much better site than just classifieds that I have effectively destroyed my chances of being listed in DMOZ.

raconnor, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont be concerned. At some stage when the suggested site is reviewed, the editor doing so will send it to the correct category. Editors can clearly see how sites have evolved and changed over time and your improvements can only enhance your chances of being included.

Bear in mind we have no idea when an Editor will chose to volunteer his time looking at the suggestions in that cat.....it may be a day, it may be a year or more, so just keep building a great site and promote it by other means.

Cheers :)

snooks, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Potentially yes!

The add page states that if you do not pick the most suitable category your site can be rejected or removed, which means if you actually improve on your site, and it changes to include more and therefore should go into a different category then you originally submitted it (even if it was YEARS ago) your site can be removed.

However, a GOOD editor will move it to a more suitable category, however if that editor does not have permission to actually add your site in the more suitable category the wait time starts all over again! Now if you update your site more and once again you change your focus, this may repeat it self, over & over and over & over again...

Fear not though, a link in the ODP is not what it used to be. Simply move on, if you get listed GREAT! If ya don't no real loss.

Qryztufre, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  4. indiagiftportal

indiagiftportal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i do not know more because i was submitted my site at 5 times but he is not approved so i am not know more about this.

indiagiftportal, Dec 11, 2011 IP