1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Advice

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Hostexpot78, Apr 16, 2015.

so im kinda new to building websites. But i built won it focuses on a wide range of topics from news/real estate/stock market/tech/finance. Im still working on getting content but would like some feedback/thoughts and some advice.

website is
    www. wealthhour. com

Hostexpot78, Apr 16, 2015 IP
    Well, you've got a lot of layout concepts that to be frank, just don't work together and have some major accessibility failings. The biggest of these failings is the use of fixed metric (aka px) fonts so the layout is not elastic and does not auto-grow to the user preference; likewise the light grey on dark gray footer lacks sufficient colour contrast to meet legibility minimums.

The use of webfonts is kind of a pointless waste of bandwidth for what's pretty much just a generic sans-serif font, and on the whole is more likely to hamper usability no matter how pretty you might think it is.

The vertical alignment of the right-most column of stuff past the full width "images for nothing" garbage feels out of place compared to the other content next to it, that first heading pushed down for seemingly no good reason. (or is that space for an advert that's blocked here?).

That big ugly full width images for nothing area also has severe colour contrast issues making most of the text impossible to read... and generally speaking it feels knee deep in "gee ain't it neat" scripttardery that just makes the site slower to load and harder to use.

Pulling up a document outline the use of numbered headings is utter and complete gibberish, hence non-mouse navigation can be a bit painful - there's no H1 for all those H2 to mark the start of subsections of, you have H4 with no H3 for them to be subsections of, it's just nonsense and that means before I even LOOK under the hood, well... I smell turdpress.

It's 48k of markup to deliver 3k of plaintext and maybe a dozen content images -- that's easily three to four times as much code as should have been used on such a simple site; though entirely typical when "gee ain't it neat" scripttardery meets turdpress, with a liberal sprinkling of "giant images that take too long to load, but aren't they pretty' -- basically it needs a healthy dose of reality check and to be a bit more content oriented. You don't see massive images and perfect width design elements on a lot of major successful websites for a REASON.

Overall it seems to take FAR too long to load, and the reason is clear. 2.3 megabytes in 39 files. This likely stems from the use of images too big to belong on a website in the first place, images for things that shouldn't have images. (your images are 1.4 megs and 24 files of that count -- leaving me wondering 24 images for WHAT?!?)... but far worse is the train wreck of ineptitude that is the 474k of JS in 8 files and 400k of CSS in 6 files which is a SERIOUS case of FOR WHAT?!? -- naturally though this is to be expected when garbage like turdpress is used to squat out a site... and lemme guess (again before I even see the code) some bootcrap and jQueery thrown at it for good measure making SURE the site sucks?

Finally popping the bonnet, the suspicions are confirmed... in the traditional "If you don't know what's wrong with this:"
    <body class="page page-id-3615 page-template page-template-page-templates page-template-front-page page-template-page-templatesfront-page-php custom-background siteorigin-panels full-width template-front-page custom-background-white single-author">
    <div id="body-wrap">
    <div id="wrap" class="">
    <div class="page-header">
    <article class="block block-navigation-top">
    <nav class="nav-desktop container clearfix hidden-mobile">
    <div class="row">

<div class="top-menu">
    <ul class="main-menu pull-left">
    </ul>
    <ul class="main-menu pull-right">

<li class="search">
    <a href="#">search<i class="fa fa-search"></i></a>
    <form class="search-box form-dark" action="http://wealthhour.com">
    <div class="inner">
    <input class="form-control" name="s" type="text" placeholder="SEARCH">
    <button><i class="fa fa-search"></i></button>
    </div>
    </form>
    </li>
    </ul>
    <div class="navbar-right topnav-sidebar">
    </div>
    </div> 
    </div>
    </nav>
    <nav class="nav-mobile clearfix hidden-desktop">
    <div class="main-menu pull-left">
    Code (markup):
    You may want to back away from the keyboard until you are actually ready to build a website.

Apologies if that seems harsh, but in terms of accessibility, functionality and usability what you have is the typical disaster that happens when a bunch of off the shelf parts are just slapped together any-old-way. Given your content isn't particularly unique or better than what other sources offer you NEED to do it better than everyone else, and your choices for tools and shortcuts aren't going to provide that.

I always figure it's better someone tell you that so you are at least aware of the problem BEFORE you paint yourself into the corner.

deathshadow, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  3. Hostexpot78

Hostexpot78 Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the criticism, I'm just getting into building a website so I'm half knowing what I'm doing and learning along the way.

Hostexpot78, Apr 16, 2015 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Really!?!

The thing that should be first and what the design and development need to be based on is the last thing you are going to do. I would suggest you spend enough time learning the basic of development as you are a long way away from taking on the task, and during that time you could also develop or find some content so you have some idea of what you are building the site around and what the content needs; instead of later just forcing content into a design that may not optimize presentation, usability and accessibility.

COBOLdinosaur, Apr 18, 2015 IP
  5. Hostexpot78

Hostexpot78 Member

Best Answers:
    @COBOLdinosaur i have content i meant I'm getting unique content up on the site. I just added fluff content to see the layout. Im fully aware of what kind of content ill be adding to the site. Since the first time i posted this thread I've fixed:
    *speed loading time( took 8 seconds to load now takes 1.9-2.5 seconds to load in the united states)
    *Compressed and optimized the images
    *Fixed the h3 with no h4 issues
    *Fixed the full width apperance (use to show stretched on different browsers.)
    *minified JS and CSS files
    *Some article pages took long to load, majority of post take .5 mill -1 second to load.
    *Slowly removing fluff articles for unique content.

Hostexpot78, Apr 18, 2015 IP
  6. Magercy

Magercy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well done. It's nice to decrease load time in US but other countries important too, especially if you are getting visitors from around the world. I think you need to start to use CDN, it might be very helpful for decrease load time around world, almost in every major city. Watch this video about CDN:

Magercy, Apr 19, 2015 IP
  7. Hostexpot78

Hostexpot78 Member

Best Answers:
    @Magercy Im using Cloudflare as my can right now I'm thinking about switching to maxcdn instead.
    I recently had a problem where load time was 15 sec-30 sec to load but go it fixed. I also removed a redirection off the site so 0.300 seconds removed.

Hostexpot78, Apr 21, 2015 IP