1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web Interface extremely slow.

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by paneolo, Oct 27, 2004.

I'm at a loss as to what to do here.

I've got a Filemaker web that has dual 800mHz, 130MB RAM, Windows 2000 Advanced Server running Filemaker 5.5 Unlimited

The Filemaker Server is a 2.6Ghz, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Running Filemaker Server 5.5

The web interface for signing up is dog slow, taking up to 2-3 minutes to process a submit from page to page using the standard OG web interface. When I process a submit, the Filemaker web machine pegs one processor for the entire time it takes to submit. Many times the process just times out and the user experience is terrible.

I've got them both plugged into the same 3COM switch.

I could really use some help on how to speed things up.

paneolo, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmmm... are they running on the same subnet? Are you using the stock web files?

digitalpoint, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  3. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep, the stock web files act the same way as the optiskin interface. They both have the same problem. They are indeed running on the same subnet.

The address is https://register.aspect1.net is the optiskin interface and the stock files are at http://209.145.228.23/add.html

I've found about half the time you can make it through the whole transaction, but the rest of the time it just times out. Isn't that enough cpu power for the web server? Step one (choosing a login) to step two seems to work fine, but then after submitting the second page it times out quite often. If the second page makes it, then the third submit is almost always a timeout, even though the account does get created if you make it through the third submit.

If I uncheck the online signup option of "automatically create account via server events" will that help? Then, will the autotask machine then process the server event on the next loop?

paneolo, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The 2nd page will be different depending on your setup. What items does the user enter/select before it gets to the point of timing out? If the first screen is okay, it makes me think it's something Optigold is doing internally, rather than a misconfiguration of the web server.

As far as the server event, it may be... it really just depends on if that's what is causing the timeout internally for whatever reason. But either way, it would be better to fix the problem, rather than have automated tasks run everything.

5. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    Probably the easiest thing to do is have you try that url (see previous post) with some dummy information.

As a description however, after the user puts in a un and pw it quickly goes to the a page that asks for address and credit card info. Then it goes to a page where you choose the service, then the thank you page.

It' after you put in your address information and it goes to the choosing of the service that it times out. If you do make it to the section for choosing service, then it will often timeout on the next submit before it displays the thank you page.

paneolo, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How many total products do you have in the system would you guess? And how many of those are showing in the drop-down box?

7. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    144 Total products, and only 23 come up in the signup process as choices. (the same 23 show up three times however as I have the two additional service options turned on.

paneolo, Oct 28, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hmmm... that really should be fine. Any possible way you could try it with an empty Products_.fp5 file just to narrow it down to that or not?

9. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I tried the generic file that comes with the original download and it seemed to work much faster. I moved the web to a 2.4ghz machine and that helped as well. I also ran a recover on the products database. These all seemed to help for step 2. However, the step right after choosing a product and hitting submit so that you see the final thank you page is still slow. Any ideas?

paneolo, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is a sequence of events that could happen at that point...
    • Validate Info
    • Create Customer record and sub-records
    • Create Invoice
    • Process Credit Card
    • Trigger Server Event(s)

Probably what you will want to do is turn everything off... make it minimal and see if that helps. If it does, then start turning on one thing at a time until you are able to narrow down specifically what action it is that is slowing it down.

digitalpoint, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  11. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    Can you let me know where each of these options can be disabled?

Validate Info
    Create Customer record and sub-records
    Create Invoice
    Process Credit Card
    Trigger Server Event(s)

Thanks.

paneolo, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The first two cannot be, but the others are under the Online Signup web interface preferences.

digitalpoint, Nov 2, 2004 IP
  13. donet

donet Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this doesn't help much.... but FMP 5.5 is not multi threaded. So each login request will peg the web server. You can throw additional web servers at it by creating a web farm (it has been 2 years since I played with this and do not remember the specs to make it work). But the issue then is that is is round robin and someone will still have the lag.

However, the dual proc does help in terminal servering into the machine when it is pegged.

One of the things I always wondered about was if the products list that is displayable online is indexed anywhere in OG? This would help out. Also, with the result.txt (I think the first page after the customer logs in from the menu.html) Is there a way to show the previous invoices and payments by year? I have turned off displaying this info and then the web server screams....

Randy

donet, Nov 3, 2004 IP
  14. paneolo

paneolo Guest

Best Answers:
    I've turned off these three processes in online signup;
    Create Invoice
    Process Credit Card
    Trigger Server Event(s)

It has much improved the last step of giving them the "process complete" page. However, the page to display the list of products to choose from still takes about 40 seconds to open.

Do you have any other ideas as to why this would take so long for the product list to come up? Would it help if I didn't give any secondary or tertiary choices of products to choose from?

paneolo, Nov 8, 2004 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You could try... or if you want to have someone on our end test it for you, send support your Products_.fp5 file.

digitalpoint, Nov 8, 2004 IP