1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web Hosting Advice

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Charlie Miller, Jun 4, 2016.

Hey guys,

Looking for a relatively inexpensive hosting plan to host a few blog based websites. Would, for example, a hostgator baby/business plan (which both specify unlimited domains) be suitable/run at an acceptable speed?

Any advice would be great,
    thanks,
    Charlie

Charlie Miller, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  2. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if Baby plan can host multiple domains, if es, i was with hostgator and uptime was really good. Also next good provider is Namecheap and also "Big" plan at instantcpanelhosting.com can host 3 domains. Have experience hosting Wordpress blogs there.

postcd, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  3. Host Capitol

Host Capitol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many, many providers out there. Check reviews and use caution - you cannot expect the same levels of support from a "giant" hosting provider as you would get from a small-mid sized hosting company.

The exact plan you would need depends on your requirements.

Host Capitol, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I have been told on other boards, the answer is yes, they will be suitable and run at acceptable speed. The complaints I see and have been told about HG pertain to their very long support response times and not anything with the hosting or speed of the servers.

I cannot speak about HostGator, but generally hosts that off "business" hosting plans allow more resource consumption than basic shared hosting plans. As both the Baby and Business plans are the same price, with the Business offering a dedicated IP address, that seems to be the better deal. But you only get that deal if you pay for 3 years upfront. Otherwise, the business plan is more expensive.

billzo, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  5. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My web dev has his own private server and he charges $5 / month. If you're interested, PM me.

jv1999, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  6. ulterios

ulterios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you like headaches and stress, don't use an EIG web hosting company like Hostgator. They used to be good till EIG bought them, now they have the same horrible support (same support that does iPage, Fatcow & the other EIG brands) and you run a chance of them trying to pull a scam on you like they did with me and countless others.

Namecheap (as mentioned by another member) is a great choice for hosting and their prices are great but their service and support is awesome! Check them out.

ulterios, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  7. DCTS Solutions

DCTS Solutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I personally generally try to get my own server, granted a dedicated server is pricey however if you find a good deal then it might be worth it since you can host unlimited domains, it's just a matter of filling up the server(s) hard drive space more than anything. Hostgator just resells for Softlayer the last I recall so they are just basic help, their pricing is higher for monthly compared to yearly. Yeah you save money on the yearly but your throwing at least $75+ at them just to save what maybe $5, where you could find a good hosting that can offer the same yearly price for month and not be fighting to get your money back if your not happy.

DCTS Solutions, Jun 4, 2016 IP
  8. Charlie Miller

Charlie Miller Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, some really helpful posts. Namecheap offer a 'professional' package for just £14 a year, that seems ridiculously cheap to me, will that just result in a slow website? thanks again

Charlie Miller, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  9. wpcycle

wpcycle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well the two are in coloration of each other.

Good host......quick support response AND resolution.
    Bad host......long support wait....resolution?????????

Most good and reputable hosts will fix an issue within 3-60 minutes...of course depending on the issue.
    With HG...the amount of customers and overall quality of everything behind them due to the buyout...you will have to wait a long time just to be acknowledged before having any issues looked at.

wpcycle, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  10. ulterios

ulterios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, actually their servers are faster than the others I have used. I have multiple accounts with them with many sites and they are all faster than they were at other hosts, and I have used many. Plus their support is the best! ;)

ulterios, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  11. Fredi

Fredi Member

Best Answers:
    There are different companies are offering different hosting plan. You should not stick with two or three companies. You should do a research to get the best option for you. You may take a look here to get detail comparison among different hosting provider http://www.hostingreviewbox.com/hosting-reviews/

Fredi, Jun 7, 2016 IP
  12. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    First: find a hosting provider with locations near where your main market is. If you're making a website to serve French people, in France, get a hosting provider located in France, not the US (this goes for any place, really - even within the US you can benefit from having hosting close to your market, if you're providing services or information to a select, smaller market).
    Second: if you're gonna host multiple domains on the same server, make sure whatever package you're getting allows this - most hosting packages (especially the cheaper ones) does not allow multiple domains with multiple landing pages - multiple domains are usually not a problem, as long as they all point to the same server / installation of Wordpress (or whatever you wanna use).
    Third: don't look at price alone - you get what you pay for, and cheap is usually not equal to good.
    Fourth: I would probably look into buying a VPS, instead of basic hosting. VPSes usually have better hardware, more resources, and can usually provide you with as many installations and domains pointing to it as you can fit on the allotted harddrive quota. I'm personally using DigitalOcean and am very happy with them. However, if you're gonna use a VPS, you should know a little bit (okay, a lot, if it's an unmanaged VPS) about server setup, as you'll have to do most of the work yourself.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 8, 2016 IP
  13. kix_mc3

kix_mc3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    kix_mc3, Jun 8, 2016 IP
  14. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    yes baby plan is really very good for startup you can go with this plan to host unlimited domain.

seoaceindia, Jun 8, 2016 IP
  15. Charlie Miller

Charlie Miller Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Perfect thanks, some great information. I think initially ill stick to shared hosting, at least while i learn about VPS. Thanks again.

Charlie Miller, Jun 16, 2016 IP
  16. Usykko

Usykko Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you have any payment methods requirements? What server location are you interested in?

Usykko, Jun 22, 2016 IP