1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

web design software?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by jenny1985, Dec 27, 2009.

What do you web designers use to design websites?
    dreamweaver? or any others that people use

jenny1985, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    A text editor. Specifically, vim. I own Dreamweaver from a few years back, it was given to me, installed it but never used it. Most people I hang with who do use DW only use it in code view and nothing else.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  3. 123funda

123funda Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver and MS Front Page both are best but I 'll prefer Dreamweaver

123funda, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  4. smiffo

smiffo Peon

Best Answers:
    I only used to use software as a kid, now I've set up my own Fedora server I use VIM. Not a fan of control panel editors either. The only thing I find it quicker for is laying out tables etc.

smiffo, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  5. jonno_81

jonno_81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any open source editors? I agree with most posts that I prefer to code in plain text files, but I'm trying to edit a site that has loads of divs and tables, so it would be quicker to use an editor...

I can't afford the $2000 for dreamweaver, especially because this is for maybe one site. I did find NVU which I didn't think was that user friendly (also found Kompozer, but that seems to be just a rebranded version of NVU)

jonno_81, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  6. My220x

My220x Member

Best Answers:
    I code using Notepad++, I don't see the point of an editor like Dreamweaver if I'm only going to use it in code view.

My220x, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  7. slickpr

slickpr Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not that expensive its only 399 or 199 for the upgrade, buy an old version on ebay or so (its like $50) and then buy a upgrade.

I am a very advanced Developer, and i still love to use dreamweaver for HTML / PHP etc. Mostly in codeview but the code suggester is not bad either, i would defiantly suggest DW for beginners since the WYSIWYG editor can be really helpful!

slickpr, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  8. anllyy

anllyy Peon

Best Answers:
    I use dreamwaver, I think that is the most basic thing you need to use. And I use moyea Playerbox to do webplayer for me. Use Flash Video MX Pro to convert video to FLV.

By the way I am running a small blog and use a lot of video to attrach visitors.

anllyy, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, another of these threads.

If you are looking for a WYSIWYG - DON'T - the crap websites WYSIWYGS churn out are complete ***** RUBBISH... What that means is that Frontpage, the artist formerly known as frontpage, editing in Dreamweaver's preview pane - DON'T

Even when using Dreamweaver just as an editor (congrats on spending $300 to a grand on a flat text editor, way to go) it teaches horrible coding habits, so one needs to stay away from it's templating system too. Worse, it's templating system can CAUSE rendering errors in IE thanks to it's placement of comments. (... and yes, I said COMMENTS can trigger rendering errors in IE)... this is why the number of well coded websites made in dreamweaver, even by people using code view I can count on one hand, the majority of them doing half-assed outdated crap like javascript for image rollovers, clearing DIV, clearfix, fixed metric fonts, fixed width layouts and all sorts of other nonsense.

As a recently departed friend was fond of saying... Well, check my signature. ANYONE who tells you to use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Microsoft Web Expression, or any other fat bloated pile of trash WYSIWYG probably sleazes out half-assed crap for websites and doesn't know enough about web development do be giving you advice. You want to sleaze out a design worth less than a sheet of bog roll that's a complete accessibility /FAIL/ and is a train-wreck cross browser, that's about the only time Dreamweaver is useful.

Learn HTML, CSS and maybe PHP, and go grab any flat text editor. Lord knows there are enough of them MORE than powerful enough to handle HTML/CSS. Notepad++, Edit+, Crimson Editor (My favorite because it lets me turn some annoying *** off!), Win32Pad, gEdit --- Hell, usually you'd be better off with just plain Notepad than anything Dreamweaver brings to the table.

The best software for web design sits not on your hard drive, but between your ears.

deathshadow, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  10. MakingThisSucked

MakingThisSucked Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well said deathshadow.

I'm just starting out.. i know basics of HTML and CSS.. and i've already figured out that the WYSIWYG programs are terrible.. coding it in notepad and checking it in my browser (both IE, and FF) looks different then the WYSIWYG view.. so their not even WYSIWYG... although i do once in awhile jump into Expression Web for quick reference to attributes and such

MakingThisSucked, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  11. styleg

styleg Peon

Best Answers:
    i use DreamWeaver, it makes editing pages much easier!

styleg, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  12. lonewolff

lonewolff Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad for everything.

Comes standard with all versions of windows ever built :)

lonewolff, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  13. poonama

poonama Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Raptivity Web Expert along with Dreamweaver for website creation. Raptivity Web Expert allows me to add various interactions to the web page like panning cards, flip book etc that too without any programming!

poonama, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  14. garbin

garbin Peon

Best Answers:
    I use dreamwaver, I think that is the most basic thing you need to use.

garbin, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  15. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was taught with dreamweaver so I have always stuck with it. Notepad does the job just as good tho.

HuggyStudios, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Well, that would explain the accessibility /FAIL/ of the absurdly undersized fixed metric fonts, nonsensical heading orders, non-semantic markup, presentational markup, absolute URL's on a flat directory site, and 56k of markup for 8k of actual content on gamecapo.com

EVERYTHING I've come to expect from someone using Dreamweaver - and a stunning advertisement on why NOT to use it.

deathshadow, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  17. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    (g)Vim and gEdit, depending on how lazy I am. Gimp plays a part of course.

lawlz ++

Whenever I'm checking out some web site's underwear (don't worry only web devs do this), if I see any of that MM_swap garbage, I know who not to recommend to someone for coding.

If "garbage" hurts anyone's feelings, just think it in a sleezy French accent, and you'll feel better. Gar- BAAZS. : )

Stomme poes, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    How about fershimmeled? Schlock? Hekdish? Shmutzik? Cockamamie farkocktah drek?

deathshadow, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  19. Pipert

Pipert Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop and notepad++.

Pipert, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  20. -webmaster

-webmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Notepad ++

-webmaster, Dec 28, 2009 IP