1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

We got listed in DMOZ with out submiting?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by emil2k, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    So I guess in my last DMOZ blog entry I will add a link to your DMOZ article and it should be all good :)

Blogmaster, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  2. emil2k

emil2k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe this guy is an editor he seemed to like it :)

emil2k, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    WebProWorld has a couple editors as moderators, some of which frequent DP as well.

Blogmaster, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  4. Jat

Jat Peon

Best Answers:
    I got two in DMOZ without submitting. I guess in some categories the editors do not have sufficient submissions and therefore they go looking sites themselves.

Jat, Jan 13, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors are always looking for interesting sites to add to DMOZ. Reviewing sites in the suggestion pool is not considered a priority by most editors, since the majority of these suggestions are generally lacking in quality and unique content. During this week, I added close to 100 sites, none of which were suggested. Please do understand; the editing in DMOZ is a hobby or a pastime for most. It is not a job, an obligation or a commitment of any sort. That is one of the reasons why editors are more inclined to look for the sites to list themselves than rely on the suggested pool.

riz, Jan 13, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    My favorite DMOZ activity was putting small towns on the map. Pick a small town with no category let alone listings. Google on the town's name and you can normally get 5 or 6 results even for the smallest hamlet. Only got defeated once - somewhere in Kentucky even the USPS had deleted from their databases. Same for movies and bands and prominent people with no category. Probably not what webmasters want to hear but maybe 65-75% of the sites I added had never been submitted. A large majority of categories have no submitted sites waiting for review - the unreviewed submissions are generally concentrated in particular commercial categories where no volunteer feels like treading.

brizzie, Jan 14, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When I first started I added 400+ sites where the development company was too damn lazy to submit them. The sites are all regional, and the owners probably wouldn't know what SEO stood for if you put a gun to their heads. It gave me good experience finding my way around to get the best category... I still add local companies when I find them and they impress me enough for me to remember their url when I'm next in editing mode.

sarahk, Jan 16, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  8. ImBae.net

ImBae.net Guest

Best Answers:
    i wanted to be an editor for DMOZ =\

ImBae.net, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  9. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's probably even higher than that.

I think it's the best way to do it. A few 1000 people trawling the net every now and then adding sites they like
    sounds better than all the rest of the ranting and raving you hear from webmasters.
    IMO They should completely scrap the submission process.

Solicitors Mortgages, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    That would at least align expectations with reality.

It would also finalize the victory of search engines over directories, as you could not get into DMOZ without first showing up in the search engine SERPS so that a DMOZ editor could stumble across your web site.

Will.Spencer, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  11. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Or by advertising in a magazine or newspaper, by having your URL on your vehicle, handing out business cards, on billboards, on television, by listing in a niche directory, having a link on a related site - or anywhere else an editor might see it. Most of the URLs I've found, I didn't find by using a search engine.

lmocr, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  12. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    As an edtor, it is the job I signed up for to make my categorie(s) of very high quality. This means going out and FINDING high quality sites, as well as having sites submitted.

90% of the listings in my category I added myself.

cianuro, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    Alucard and Jat like this.