1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Watch the Noob Go to #1! A Must See!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rochow, Dec 8, 2006.

Firstly, I am relatively new to the website arena, with my first website going up in September, with no SEO work done on my site (unless you count the title tag and meta tags). It doesn't even rank #1 when you search google for the site name! See here (#2 is alright, but its my site name, not to mention in the URL, so it's pretty lame that its being outranked by some random site)

What I'm going to do
    I'm going to go work and get my site List of Free Proxies (might as well start using the anchor text now :cool: ) to #1 in Google, and hopefully Msn and Yahoo (although that is not my main focus) for the search term "list of free proxies".

Okay, maybe it wont be "so hard". Take into consideration though, I have NEVER done SEO before and my budget is less than $5 (hopefully ill spend nothing).

To do so, I need to knockout sites which have big PR's and are long established.

http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/cgi-proxy.htm
    ^ This for example, it ranks #2, is PR5 and alexa ranking over around 20,000

Why?
    Because I want to help people like me, who are new and have no clue what to do, or for those who know a bit, but might learn a thing or two that is useful.

I'm going to show, absolute step by step, how I my site has moved up the ranks. Hopefully people will be able to use the tips and tricks in this thread to boost their own SERP's.

So, first things first. If people could post some of their knowledge it would be useful to not only me, but everyone else reading this thread.

DAY 1
    I've just written up the thread. I heard about the carcrasher SEO comp, so i searched google to see who is leading, and this site came up being listed near the top http://www.watching-paint-dry.com/carcasherdotcom-seocontest/

I decide I'm going to learn by the best.

What I Implement
    - I change the title tag to "List of Free Proxies - Awesome Proxies" as I also want to rank #1 for "Awesome Proxies" because after all it is my site name.
    - I set the keywords to "list of free proxies, awesomeproxies, awesome proxies, awesomeproxies.com, awesomeproxy"
    - I completely redesign my entire site, using a similar look but which allows for better placement of h1 tages
    - I put a h1 tag of "List of Free Proxies" below the logo
    - All the text in the blue description box is using the h2 tag
    - I add "summary" and "title" tags to the table tags
    - I add titles, alt to the 2 images
    - I make the logo link to my homepage, adding title of "list of free proxies"

That's all I can think of at the moment

I purchased directory submission from genx_wan, which goes to 450 directories. So far, the approval rate for my site is around 50%.. so I'm hoping to get over 200 backlinks, all using the anchor text "List of Free Proxies"

Please write what you think about:
    a) the concept of what I'm doing
    b) if I've done anything wrong
    c) if there's something else I should do
    d) general opinions or anything else!

Thanks!

Homepage: List of Free Proxies

EDIT: THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING ME RED REP, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PUT IRRELEVANT THINGS LIKE "RETARD". :confused: :mad:

rochow, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  2. Morishani

Morishani Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking forward for updates :)

Morishani, Dec 8, 2006 IP
  3. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll update it every week. Anyone know how long it will take (at minimum) to get to #1?

Also, can some people point me in the direction of a site where I can check the rankings? I tried using http://www.googlerankings.com/ but it didn't seem to work for Google, although it did for yahoo and msn

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  4. LTEli

LTEli Guest

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney offers a great serps script you can find at shoemoney.com/serps.php I use it all the time, hope thats what your looking for!

Cheers!

LTEli, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  5. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep thanks.

UPDATE: My site has dropped completely out of the top 100 for "list of free proxies", where it was previously ranked #6. No idea how it even got to #6 in the first place, all I know is that its not there anymore. Hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  6. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 236 for "list of free proxies"

it shouldn't be very difficult at all...

m0rtal, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  7. moneymakingguru

moneymakingguru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    You might want to read this thread to help u abit..

moneymakingguru, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  8. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 1,250,000 for list of free proxies.
    Thanks MoneyMakingGuru

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  9. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    good job with the site!

scylla, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  10. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Put quotes around the keyphrase and it gives you a better idea. It shows you how many sites actually contain the exact keyphrase...so while 1,250,000 sites may contain the keywords "list" "of" "free" "proxies" they are scattered around the page and not the exact phrase.

Also do this: allintitle:list of free proxies and it tells you how many have those words in the title tag. Only about 900 come up ...then if you go : allintitle:"list of free proxies" you'll see there is only about 26 sites that actually contain the exact keyphrase in the title tag therefore not many websites are actually optimized for that keyphrase. Anyhow, good luck, shouldn't be too difficult :)

Btw, this is the way I always do it...you get a much better idea of competition. For example, when I started my Borat site there were only a handful of sites that contained the keyphrase "borat videos" with quotes but still millions without quotes. Since the release of the movie it has increased greatly but still do a search for "borat videos" with and without quotes and you'll see the difference is huge.

m0rtal, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  11. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought because people will not be searching using quotes, therefore ranking #1 for "list of free proxies" in quotes will not be very useful at all. Even if the other sites are inrelevant in comparison to mine, if they are still ranked ahead of me I need to beat them!

It may be easy, it may not be. Time will tell.

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  12. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you are targetting the phrase "list of free proxies"? The more we type list of free proxies in this thread, the more likely this thread will out rank you! You opened a can of worms for yourself here :) Good luck out ranking DP for the keyword list of free proxies...

BlueDevilMedia, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  13. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean mean person BlueDevilMedia :)

Pretty much yeah that could happen lol

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  14. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just missed the whole point of my post. I didn't mention anything about people having to search with quotes. I suggest you re-read it. Then do a search for borat videos with quotes and without quotes and watch for my site, tell me if there's a big difference in ranking :)

m0rtal, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  15. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Hum depends how much link building you put into it.

Seiya, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  16. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel for ya man...was thinking it before I read your last post

PEOPLE what he is talking about is competitiveness

SNIPPET

FROM; http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=187120

Soooooo.. play with -- list of free proxies -- not at all a tough term to nail now is it?

thegypsy, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  17. peaches

peaches Guest

Best Answers:
    Great advice on how to do it and how it works. Thanks. Also good luck rowscw - I know I just totally mispelled that but was too lazy to hit the back button lol.

Wow no live links really screwed up my quote...

peaches, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  18. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still a bit confused lol.
    I understand what you are saying, but at the same time, what I don't get is that even if I rank #1 for "list of free proxies" with quotations, I need to rank #1 for it without the quotations. It doesnt matter if the sites are #1,2 etc are irrelevant, fact is they are #1,2 etc. and I have to beat them, which will be the challenge.

Yeah nobody ever gets my name right, it doesn't bother me lol

rochow, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  19. Bulldog-Designs

Bulldog-Designs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder why your ranking went down after you attempted to optimize it. Maybe you de-optimized it :O

Bulldog-Designs, Dec 9, 2006 IP
  20. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    Your title should be "List of Free Proxy Sites" which will be more relevant to what you are offering

sarathy, Dec 9, 2006 IP