1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Warning - How namecheap dns causes 2 days downtime when you want to use another dns

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by webnetsecure, Mar 9, 2015.

I just got screwed because my site was getting popular so I moved it to a more serious DNS service. I have started with the built-in NameCheap DNS. I now have learned that because namecheap is programmed poorly every single person making this transition is hurt by 2 days of full to partial downage. I wrote about why namecheap caused this completely avoidable downtime due to a poorly programmed DNS system here: http://visihow.com/Warning:_Learn_How_Namecheap_Needlessly_Causes_2_Days_of_Painful_Downtime_when_Switching_from_Their_Built_in_DNS_to_Another_DNS_Server_Provider but the jist of it is that after you switch your SOA DNS, namecheap removes your DNS records from their server EVEN THOUGH CHANGES WILL NOT FINISH PROPAGATING throughout the internet for the next two days!! So requests coming to your server are answered by the old DNS at namecheap saying THERE ARE NO IPS DEFINED FOR YOUR DOMAIN. And you are down and there is nothing you can do about it but wait !!! Its is horrible. I am posting this to hopefully warn people to either avoid namecheap built in dns or move while their traffic is light and the downtime is not so painful.

webnetsecure, Mar 9, 2015 IP
  2. Nick PPC.BUZZ

Nick PPC.BUZZ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Strange. I use namecheap for some of my domains and while propagating they are responding with old records, not zero records. At least, as far as I remember. Maybe something broke

Nick PPC.BUZZ, Apr 16, 2015 IP