1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Warning for osCommerce users (anyone here using it?)

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by ddmd, Nov 19, 2010.

ddmd, Nov 19, 2010 IP
    SEMrush
  2. gaddisjw

gaddisjw Peon

Best Answers:
    It applied with all other scripts as well, if you won't change admin folder then there are more chances to getting hacked.

gaddisjw, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  3. visuallemon

visuallemon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    its doesnt just about admin folder. yea guys run away from osc and come to magentocommerce family.

visuallemon, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  4. fire

fire Peon

Best Answers:
    osCommerce used to do well back in the day then become so unorganised and cluttered with bad programmers that it's a giant mess of spaghetti code.

Now osCommerce does work. But anyone would be far better off getting an osCommerce based fork such as ZendCart or OSCMAX, which are generally more secure and come with more useful features by default.

fire, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  5. Shibin Sreenivasan

Shibin Sreenivasan Active Member

Best Answers:
    We work with OSC, Zen cart, Creloaded, Magento etc. above 60% of the requirements come for OSC and now a days we can see huge push for magento.
    Magento coding is not that easy when comparing with OSC.
    When security is concerened, i belive all of them are secure enough to run a web shoppe.

Shibin Sreenivasan, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  6. Cobalt64

Cobalt64 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whilst there are loopholes in many online applications, the vast majority of so-called "hacks" result in poor security and configuration on the part of the site owner/developer.

The problem will always arise with software like osCommerce which has gone through so many revisions since it was first developed. Yes, the majority of these revisions have improved matters, but along the way there have been contributions for practically anything you could wish for, and whilst these are generally "vetted" a little, even if only by fellow OSC users, it only takes a little mistake or oversight on the developers part and it could result in all sorts.

I say this as I've worked with OSC for many years with various clients, and whilst it is by no means the best piece of kit out there, it is widely used, has as good a support base as you could expect and, by and large, does a job. Indeed Magento is a better bit of kit by a long chalk, but it's also much more difficult to work with, so until a few more people get familiar with it, we'll be seeing plenty of OSC sites and derivatives for some time yet.

There's plenty out there about securing sites, eCommerce and otherwise, it's highly advisable those implementing shops do a spot of light reading before embarking on a default install from Fantastico and sticking a $69 skin on it...

Just my 2 cents.

Cobalt64, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  7. kbabi

kbabi Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info guys. Well, I always use Virtumart for Ecommerce. and I installed some free Joomla security extension. IS that all right? or should I do more than that?

kbabi, Dec 5, 2010 IP