1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to start a small running/exercise club or business, need pointers and advice

Discussion in 'General Business' started by eroker, May 23, 2011.

What I want to do is to first start off with a small independent local free weight exercise and running club/business. All running an exercises will be performed on public grounds.

My target audience will be unfit teens to unfit adults, people who want to increase their running speed, distance, endurance, or people who just want to be more healthy and lower their heart rate. Body weight exercises will be included as well such as push ups and sit ups.

My experience - I have been through Army Basic Training, and AIT. (maxed my pt test in AIT). I am currently on the reserves, and I believe that a part time job like this could bring in some extra income to help me pay for school. I like to help people, and watch them improve. I am very fit, but will become even more fit before I even think of starting a program like this. I have also a good name for my club, and have promoted fitness products in the past with affiliate marketing, and this allowed me to learn a lot about the fitness world.

I am good at marketing so I believe I can get a good amount of customers.

I haven no nutrition or fitness degrees or certificates. I know this will help and if I decide to go along with this I will definitely need invest into it.

So, lets say I start this club or business. I will most likely let people try it for free, and then charge them a beta version since I would be new to this, and explain to them why I am charging a small price.

I am just concerned about liability. What if one of my customers or club member gets seriously hurt while under my "teaching or instructions" and they decide to take legal action against me. I of course will be making everyone sign a contract, waiver, or agreement beforehand. I am not sure how much good this will do.

I don't have tons of money to spend on a lawyer also.

Thank you so much, and I appreciate the help!

eroker, May 23, 2011 IP
  2. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well an easier solution would be to go around in your community and check out what other gym's/fitness centres/swimming pools etc are offering. I am sure they would have a fine print in their legal document.

RovingCalypso, May 23, 2011 IP
  3. nibblymonster

nibblymonster Guest

Best Answers:
    I think it's best you consult a lawyer who is familiar with such cases to draft a contract. Also, you might have to accept the fact that there will always be a small chance of being sued even with a release. Most gyms require their clients to sign a waiver, but despite this there are still lawsuits being filed against gyms and trainers, and some of these lawsuits are successful. It all depends on how the specific details of the incident and how the client got injured.

nibblymonster, May 23, 2011 IP
  4. eroker

eroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, will look into it

eroker, May 25, 2011 IP