1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to list my site in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by webmaster365, Apr 12, 2010.

I want to list my site in DMOZ directory. What is the best way to get this listing.

webmaster365, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The first step is to read the sticky at the top of this forum, then read the hundreds of other threads asking the same question.

Its really that simple :)

snooks, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  3. tata_capl

tata_capl Peon

Best Answers:
    Go To Dmoz> Choose Related & Deepest Category> Make Sure There is Active Editor > Submit Your Site

tata_capl, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is so wrong. How many times do we have to say this before the 'SEO experts' finally believe that strategy slows the process down rather than speeds it up :(.

Real statistics (though a few years old) at How to get your site listed FOUR times faster! .

jimnoble, Apr 12, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Every category has hundreds of editors.
    Because a name is listed at the bottom of a category does not make them 'active'. My name is on some categories but they will not get a visit in months if I don't have much time for editing or other categories that my name is on demand attention or as an editall I am simply looking after something else.
    A site will not be listed in a 'wrong' category, it will be moved and so it waits twice to be reviewed.

You have now been told by two editors of long standing that it is a very bad idea to try and category spot for an 'active' editor as a way of getting listed faster, please don't do it for your sake and ours. Read the post which jimnoble directed you to and follow that advice. Believe us that post at RZ really is the very best advice.

Anonymously, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Erm, Go To Dmoz> Choose Related & Deepest Category> Make Sure There is Active Editor > Submit Your Site There is NOTHING there that would actually SLOW the process down, other then actually getting people to submit to related categories...assuming they only submit once, isn't that pretty much what editors here keep saying? I mean, the part about having an active editor is a bit off...but slowing them down? How...by giving them a suggestion pool to look at? *boggle*

here is advice that will slow ya down...
    Go To Dmoz> choose ANY category because Anonymously claims that your site will be moved to the proper one > Make Sure There is Active Editor (so that the editor WILL move your site) > Submit Your Site

Here is another one...
    Go To Dmoz> Submit Your Site

Proof? And by proof, I want proof of the ones that bother to actually use the suggestion pool, which is completely and totally optional, which means that SOME categories potentially will NEVER EVER get a site looked at... yes, there may be 100s that CAN edit in any given category, but that in no way shape or form means that 100s will...

Qryztufre, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Here we go again.

I will say it once more for you Q, put your glasses and memory hat on.

A site is slowed down if it is not suggested to the correct category because it waits there for a review by an editor and that can be from a few days to a few years. Editor reviews the site, it has been suggested to the wrong category and it is moved. It waits again for another review which can be from a few hours to a few years. If site had been sent to the correct category in the first place it would not have waited from a few days to a few years in that wrong category waiting for the first editor review. So suggesting to the wrong category, as Jim says, slows the site down in its review progress. Simple.

Anonymously, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Erm, no... jim said just the opisite of that *boggle* Put on your glasses and re-read what you just replied to!

Suggesting to a related category with an active editor WILL increase your chances of getting a listing... granted, selecting the BEST category is likely even quicker... but again, look at what you just replied to and try saying I'm wrong again LOL... you are little more then a troll that is willing to twist the ODP guidelines and the posts of other editors simply to make me look bad. Don't believe me? Look at your posting history here as of late!

Go to DMOZ = the BEST place to submit a site to the ODP!
    Choose Related & Deepest Category = Said time & time again here. Submitting to an unrelated category is even against the guidelines and can get your site REJECTED! Which is a waste of time for everyone! Submitting to a related category is a good idea, sorry!
    Make Sure There is Active Editor = With an editor listed, it does stand to reason that the editor HAS been active (at least one edit in the last three months!), that means they editor likely looks in his/her own cats, which likely means, assuming they use the suggestion pool, can get your site listed faster!
    Submit Your Site = Again, this is a requirement if you want to actually bother submitting to begin with.

So tell me, if that is actually wrong, what do YOU suggest? And I am not saying just come back to the thread with a personal attack against me...I'm suggesting you actually give a useful post for once!

Sorry...but submitting to a relevant category with an active editor should in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM slow the process down at all...unless there is a flaw (and that would be one wicked flaw) in said process.

Qryztufre, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    OK, Q. You are wrong.

Jim replied to another poster and highlighted
    and then said
    . He then went on to link to a post in RZ which told how to speed up a review by 4 times and that post says
    It is no good suggesting a site to a category because there is a named editor, a named editor does not equal an active editor in that category anymore than it does for any other category.
    Wrong in the sense that the editor may not have been active in that category within the last 4 months. As I have said my name is on categories that I have not visited in 6 or more months, but many categories that don't bear my name I have been active in the last two days. What was being implied here was that the editor is active in the category because there name is on it and sometimes that is far from the truth. I edited in one category for several years and it had another editor name but that other edited never edited there in my years there. But was active elsewhere so their editing was never called into question.
    Delays may well result if people try to suggest to relatedcategories because there is a named editor, because if the site does not fit there it will be moved and wait for another review. The advice that I have always given is to find the correct category, as best one is able, but if a related category is selected wrongly then the site will be moved to the correct category but it will likely be delayed waiting for two reviews. Trying to spot active editors or whatever will not help or speed the the process up, likely will slow it down. That's what I said and that is the right advice. If you seek the good of posters here that is the comment you will make.

The op said a RELATED category with an active editor not a relevant category.

Anonymously, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    submit it to the correct section, with proper title and description and forget about it ;)
    it can take months/years to get accepted

Brandon Sheley, Apr 14, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Which is still much faster then an unrelated category... and an active editor should also indicate a category that has fairly recent updates within it... as it's clear that someone can be out of the ODP for years and still be listed there....and by your own account, an editor that stumbles upon a listing in a related category that is better suited someplace else will move it (and there is actually a chance they can list it there...after all, there are hundreds of editors with such access).

As for the 'statistical' information on the RZ post, that is all but laughable, RZ is NOT an official source of ODP information any more then this is, and statistics without sources are pretty easy to come by... statistically all the sites I added to the ODP were worthy of a listing, yet you seem to have no issue insinuating otherwise. so go figure.

Besides, what good is a 'single best category' for a site when there are HUNDREDS of sites with HUNDREDS of listings? Surely they can not all be in the single best category as that's a statistical impossibility ;)

Qryztufre, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  12. MichaelOwen

MichaelOwen Guest

Best Answers:
    browse the forums and search .. you'll fidn it

MichaelOwen, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So who has ever talked about an unrelated category?
    Not at all it may indicate that someone has added sites but it may be a long time before anyone updates the category again, who can tell when a volunteer will choose to do that? If you have some inside information that tells you, please post it here, because I would like to know. Is in the cards or the crystal ball?
    Not at all you may only have had one category with your name on it but that is not true for more experienced editors, but it does not mean that they edit in the categories with their name on, as I have said before a name in a category defines the limits of their editing, though sometimes its easier to keep a category on your dashboard for eas of access if one has many different categires. But you were not an editor long enough to feel that, one category limit to ones editing is very simple to vavigate on ones editor dashboard...
    Again an editor with very limited experience will not know what it is to be editing in a category suggestions pool and find a site that does not fit. It is easy to move it, much more time consuming to follow it through. Far more usual to transfer it to the suggestions pool of the new cat and then either deal with it when dealing with that suggestions pool or another editor review it in that new pool.

It's good to know that after 6 edits you are willing to contradict a senior meta editor in JimNoble who directed you to RZ for that information. Also please point out where I have suggested your edits were not worthy of listing. I merely laugh, as indicated in the last sentence, that you want to project you have more knowledge after 6 edits than a senior editor with 10 years experience. I will let readers draw their won conclusions.

As we endlessly point out to you any site with more than one listing, except Regional/Topical, is at editors and DMOZ discretion. We ask that people try to find the best category to save them undue delay in having a review and for our sake to save editor time transferring the site to the correct category. But if it is not suggested to the best category then it is not a disaster it will be moved though probably delayed.

Anonymously, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  14. Allthebest

Allthebest Peon

Best Answers:
    For submitting your site in DMOZ you have to fallow all the instruction of the site. it realy take time to list site.

Allthebest, Apr 14, 2010 IP
  15. webmaster365

webmaster365 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for your valuable time and cooperation.

webmaster365, Apr 16, 2010 IP