1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want higher Adsense CTR? Advertise with Adwords

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by Zedzero, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    it worked very well on my situation, and it may work on some others' too.
    I advised people to give it a try for $1/day, not to invest $1k on adwords :)

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Except you don't even know if it worked yourself :confused:

yfs1, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  3. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    just to clarify:
    it worked for me and it is still working for me. Do i look too untrustworthy? Or do i look like i own adwords? :)

Just because i can not give stats and real numbers doesn't mean i don't know whether it worked for me or not.

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Point is, you can't prove it worked for you. As Yfs1 pointed out, you don't have the stats backing up where clicks came from. Unless you use the hardly-known and hardly-used AdWords url variables, you can't see whether a click came from natural listings or AdWord ads.

T0PS3O, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

Best Answers:
    You said yourself, it may have been a normal increase or a fluctuation. This has nothing to do with being "trustworthy"

Let me give you an example:

Your site sales for October are $700 - You decide to put an ad in the newspaper for $100 at the beggining of November. Your Novemember sales are $800.

You could say (and not be dishonest) that you had sales 8 times that of the cost of the advertisement.

Without having any idea where the people that made the sales came from, this could be a very misleading statement.

In your current situation, it is further compounded by the fact that we are dealing with very small amounts which are open to fluctuations. So if you go from .30 a day to 2.40 a day, that is very few clicks and can be due to:
    1.) Increased cost per click (maybe your sites theme was seen differently by Google)
    2.) Increased clicks due to Search Engine Position
    3.) Increased overall traffic

My point is that you are making a statement - "Want to earn more AdSense, Advertise with AdWords". I don't happen to agree with the fact that it is that easy. In fact through months of trial and error I have found the opposite. That it is an extremely difficult and time consuming way to make money with AdSense.

You are basing your statement on 24-48 hours worth of data and have no way to track who is actually clicking your ads or where they are coming from. You have stated your earning are up 8x - For all we know they could be up 10x if you weren#t sinking money into AdWords

yfs1, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  6. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, why do i have to prove it worked for me? This is an ADVICE. I'm not writing an academic article, or i'm not putting a gun to your head to start an adwords campaign. If you think that i am wrong, do not take my advice.

The funny part is, this is the first time i've seen anyone requesting proof for a little tip worked for someone.

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

Best Answers:
    The reason is that half the people on this board have researched and tried this so we also have an opinion.

Putting images next to your ads, blending your ads, making them stand out, etc are tips. They don't cost anything and it is easy to measure their value.

What you are proposing is actually quite difficult so if you were able to show it worked, it would inspire others and could become a really good thread.

Unfortunately if all you want to say is "It works, but I don't want to show how or why", its of no use to anyone. If I could come up with a way for this to work I would invest $10,000 tommorow as it *seems* like a simple business model.

Unfortunately in my research you have a much better chance of losing the whole thing.

yfs1, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  8. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    It's definitely a beginners tip and concept, but in the long run you do lose money. The ROI is not good enough to survive. This isn't anything new under the sun...most skilled SEO has tried to master this concept but it just doesn't work. If it was really that simple then all webmasters would be hip to the game and Google will be the one losing money. I doubt Google will be that giving, that's why their profit scale is designed the way it is.

If you spend $10.00 of advertising on Adwords at 0.05 cents (the minimum bid) then you will receive 200 clicks...out of those 200 visitors you will probably have 1% click on a Adsense ad. Let's just say 5% clicked on an Adsense ad that's 10 Adsense clicks which Google will pay you possibly anywhere between $.50 - $3.00 (not each - for the entirety) depending on the value of the Adsense ads. It is very uncommon to get $1.00 for a click on Adsense and Adsense is one of the highest paying advertising platforms.

There is a way to make this work in your favor but it takes skills and you must focus on your entire advertising. Adwords is a great way to get visitors to your site and hopefully they will be returning visitors who will eventually or continually click on an Adsense ad each visit to your site...but the buy-then-click method just doesn't work in the long run....you may have 1 or 2 good days but it is not consistent. Trust me.

antonaf, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That's the danger if we leave these generous tips undiscussed. A noobie could jump on the latest tip and squander tons of money. And that happens a lot.

T0PS3O, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  10. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't say "advertise with adwords, and you will be rich". what do you want me to write in thread title? "i advertised with adwords and my ctr seems to be increasing, but this is based on just one days data, so it may not work for you, and here is also some data about my adwords campaign and adsense earnings still in the thread title". Thread title is the summary, get it? and anyone who cares to read what i have written on all my messages can see that i haven't written anything about this should work on anyone, on all occassions.

Instead, i have written my observations, backed up by my adsense and adwords data (which i don't have to prove since i'm giving only advice), and said it should work for you. And, i am open to suggestions and ideas on why this happens if not from adwords, but the fact that you are not sharing anything besides hammering the thread is preventing this.

If you want to try it, try it. If you don't want to try, then don't. Why is it so hard for you? If you have any counter advice, tell it. Why try to ruin the thread by accusing me of suggesting unproven tips to people?

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I imagine that if you are paying only 0.05 per click that the terms you are targetting are in fact fairly niche.

What about the adsense on your site? Is it more generic - if so, it might work, as the more generic the ad, the more is tends to cost (duh).

SEbasic, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  12. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no problem with discussing this tip. This is why i started this thread in the first place. I may lose money on this on the long run, as i said it's been only two days now.

But accusing me of giving false information to people is a different thing. I never remember suggesting people to invest $10k on an adwords campaign. Instead, i told that i have just started a $1 campaign. Anyone who is investing $10k on a free tip based on $1 campaign doesn't deserve to have that money anyway lol

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

Best Answers:
    No one is attacking you nor are they "Hammering this thread". We are giving our own experience with this as it has been tried by most of us.

The reason most people post here is because you don't get 10 people posting "Cool, Thanks" after every post. If you want to be succesful you have to question things.

There are 3 regular posters here that earn mid 5 figures a month (and probably quite a few others that don't post regularly). They are at that point for a reason. If they just threw money into something because it was advice, they wouldn't be where they are.

If someone posted here, putting a new meta tag in your page will get you Number 1 on Google in 1 week, would you just say...Cool, I'll try that Thanks

No, you would ask the site, why does it work, etc

That is what this forum is about

As far as the 10K, If something works at $1, why wouldn't it work at 10K?

yfs1, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    That sums it up better than your initial post. We all appreciate you share what could potentially be valuable information. Please don't think we don't appreciate it. It's just our nature here to dig up all pro's and con's and chuck them on the table for eveybody to see, including our own real experiences as well as educated guesses about it. That's why it's called a discussion forum.

Our only real criticism to your thread is that you made it look too easy, by basing a promising technique on potentially flawed and way too little (1 day!) data.

That's it.

Everybody can make up their own judgement (or try for themselves) based on what we all said here.

T0PS3O, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    What I have found in that case is a pretty signifigant drop in CTR. Too much to make any money.

If someone is looking for something specific, they have less tendency to click on a Generic ad. Some will, but not enough to make up for the drop.

yfs1, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  16. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Zedzero, I've taken reds for you in this thread by requesting data on your 'advice' and losing my patience with responses of 'It works, it's worth it', back-peddling to 'I get newsletter sign-ups, return visitors', instead of the actual profit which you're now claiming your making based on nothing but hairy arse bollocks.

You have observed a higher CTR for 1 day backed up by what..?

Counter advice is: When you try a way of increasing revenue, at least have a way of tracking it. Are you just going to carry on pumping money in to AdWords even though it may be losing you money? Are you going to advise other people to do the same?

Ah but yes... you've already deemed it's 'worth it', haven't you.

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you have gotten red because of the attitude you show - not the actual questions you ask...

You jumped down his throat at the first opportunity and I think most people recognise that.

As a side note, I tried to give you red rep but I needed to spread it around first.

SEbasic, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  18. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    My attitude to advice based on sh*te? I see. I thought I was being quite reasonable, and for someone reading who may not of thought about that advice before trying it themselves, provided them with enough caution to sit back and see if the guy had any substance to his claims of 'It's worth it'.

Tried to give me a red? You fairy.

Pete

GADOOD, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  19. Sjorritsma

Sjorritsma Peon

Best Answers:
    No no CTR means --> Page CTR

If every visitor views 5 pages, then

100 * 5 = 500 pages * 10 % = 50 clicks

If you have a interesting site, people are coming back. Lets say every Adword visitor returns 10 times (my real number is 12.1).

Calculation
    100 * 5 = 500 pages * 10 returns = 5000 pages.

Go to your adsense account and see what your eCPM is
    example:
    eCPM = 5.00 --> 5000 * 5.00 = 25.00 Dollar
    eCPM = 10.00 --> 5000 * 10.00 = 50.00 Dollar
    eCPM = 20.00 --> 5000 * 20.00 = 100.00 Dollar

(it works for me)

Sjorritsma, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  20. Zedzero

Zedzero Peon

Best Answers:
    As i said, i have no problem with discussing this. But asking for some real data over and over is a bit more for a tip which i'm observing for only two days. I will post real data, if i ever happen to have.

About 10k: this is a risk problem as you know. It may or may not work, investing $10k without even knowing the odds is not same as $1.

Zedzero, Sep 6, 2005 IP