1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VS 2003 or VS 2008?

Discussion in 'C#' started by JEP_Dude, Mar 14, 2009.

I have VS 2003. I like both VB and ASP.Net. I'm wondering if the expense of VS 2008 is worth it. (Is VS 2009 or 2010 on the way?) So I figure that I should ask the forum what's the difference?

JEP_Dude, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  2. MLab

MLab Peon

Best Answers:
    VS 2010 is on the way along with the .NET framework 4.0.

That said, I would encourage you to start using VS 2008 as it supports the latest version of the .NET framework (3.5) and also supports development for .NET 2.0.

Feature-wise, all Visual Studios versions look and behave mostly alike with some "enterprisey" feature differences not a lot of people bother using.

The real difference is in the framework it supports. .NET 2.0 added support for generics, master pages, improved web controls, etc. Ajax is also available but is a separate download.

The 3.5 framework is mostly 2.0 with enhancements such as LINQ, extension methods and it offers built-in Ajax among other features.

Hope this helps.

MLab, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  3. JEP_Dude

JEP_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    MLab, and others ....

Thanks for your informative feedback! Since VS 2010 is on its way, then I think I'll wait until then.

Yet an derivative question comes to mind. Would there be any problems if I were to develop an ASP.Net application using 2003 while an assistant used VS 2005? Can different versions mix together like that?

Thanks in advance.

May you have a blessed day.

JEP_Dude, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  4. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Visual Studio 2003 is now obsolete and using the framework version 1.1. You at least should use Visual Studio 2005. However, it is highly recommended to use Visual Studio 2008 since it supports framework 3.5 and you can thus use the latest available utilities of the microsoft .net framework.

MayurGondaliya, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  5. JEP_Dude

JEP_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought the price for VS was considerable back in the day when 2003 was the latest. What is MS asking for 2008 these days? ... And wont MS drop the price of 2008 drop as the 2010 becomes available?

How did these prices change in the past?

JEP_Dude, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  6. tomcomc1

tomcomc1 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try vs 2008 express edition, its free. but there are some features missing.

tomcomc1, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  7. brian65

brian65 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend both you and your assistant working in the same version of VS to avoid project conversion problems.

brian65, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  8. JEP_Dude

JEP_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is VS 2008 express edition free? I just took your advice and I download it. However, the only reason I can see why this is free is because VS 2010 is almost ready to be released. Does anyone know when MS plans to release CS 2010?

JEP_Dude, Mar 18, 2009 IP