1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS or Cloud hosting? Which one should I buy? (Hostgator, GoDaddy, SingleHop....

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by тнє Sufi, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ray Baron

Ray Baron Member

Best Answers:
    A dedicated server is not necessarily or automatically more powerful than a VPS. A low end dedicated server (and $60/mo is low-end) may well be less powerful than a VPS in that price range.

BTW, VPS/cloud are not synonymous (seeing a lot of "VPS/cloud"). One of the main advantages of "cloud" is the ability to automatically scale. A VPS must be manually scaled and a dedicated server does not scale well without taking it offline, e.g., to add memory. You generally have a lot of time when a dedicated server is 'wasting' resources if you have highly variable traffic.

Ray Baron, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  2. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree with you. Cloud gives the facility of "anytime server scaling". And that is the best part, as you can save resources, as well as money.

тнє Sufi, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  3. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    Hostgator/godaddy or any other host offering shared hosting will rip you off on dedicated (asking $200-300+) BECAUSE they know how much money they can make on each server selling it as 100+ shared accounts, and if you crazy enough to order it from them you will have to pay somewhat close to what those 100 shared users pay collectively.

there is a totally different market of (unmanaged) dedicated servers at non-ridiculous prices, and once you have money for one you never think of going back

atxsurf, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  4. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    private cloud may be
    public cloud - is and easy way (for hosting company) to dynamically spreading tons of users between many servers as opposed to manually assigning many users to each server and having load problems on certain servers. Probably better then shared, but you still have dedicated nothing.

atxsurf, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  5. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you get me wrong. That was an example. I am and was never interested to buy dedicated server from some companies, who themselves buy from another company!
    I know the difference between managed and unmanaged servers. I have been running unmanaged dedicated servers since 2008 with ThePlanet (SoftLayer now). I had helped clients to setup and manage server on arvixe, 1and1, mediatemple, choopa and several other companies (can't remember names right now). All were unmanaged dedicated server. I am not new in dedicated servers. But I was new in Cloud or VPS. As I nnever used them before. So need to get it clear, which is better. Now after using both VPS and Cloud, my opinion is "Cloud is far more better than VPS, if you have extra money to spend".
    Hope I was able to make it clear to you.

тнє Sufi, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  6. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    cloud can be better than VPS, and even better than dedicated - all depending on how many customers are sitting on that cloud, how they use it, and what resources it is based on
    in my layman understanding:
    shared=unlimited customers on one server
    VPS=fixed number of customers on one server (with some guaranteed dedicated resources)
    dedicated=one customer per one server
    cloud=unlimited customers on many servers

thus cloud is just a better variation of shared where you can potentially use it exclusively when everyone else is asleep, or having all the load problems when it is oversold and heavily used

atxsurf, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  7. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think a good VPS will be suitable to host your sites instead of paying a higher amount for a cloud hosting.

dumindushalika, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  8. holyhermit

holyhermit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd rather go for VPS from Hostgator.

holyhermit, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  9. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    What I am using now is thousands time better than hostgator VPS.

тнє Sufi, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  10. holyhermit

holyhermit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then why do you need others' opinion on it? Take it out from the list of choices you mentioned.

holyhermit, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  11. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, this thread was opened late February this year. That time I needed these opinions. But now, I don't need them anymore, as I am happy with my current host.

тнє Sufi, Jul 28, 2012 IP
  12. bizcheers

bizcheers Member

Best Answers:
    you should a virtual hosting account first. in your case, there is not necessarily buy a VPS or higher hosting. you may see my website( http://organicseofacts.com/ ), massive data loading but speed is pretty good. i bought virtual hosting @ Arvixe.

4 USD PER MONTH
    . very cheap

bizcheers, Aug 3, 2012 IP
  13. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    That will not be able to cope up with my traffic :)

тнє Sufi, Aug 3, 2012 IP