1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS Hosting at Hostgator advice

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by lebspy, Apr 4, 2012.

im moving to hostgator of VPS of level 3

1.13GHz and 768MB ram. 30gb space.

i have a forum of 150 users online and a wordpress blog.

I would like to know if the VPS will handle my site or not. if u need any more info about the specs, plz let me know. thanks

lebspy, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  2. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is your forum vBulletin? That should be more than enough and some for your forum to grow more. What hosting plan are you currently using for these two sites?

micksss, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  3. lebspy

lebspy Guest

Best Answers:
    im using a quad core vps from kvc with 2gb ram, but it keeps overloading and shuts down. its really weird since i only got like 100 users online on the forums.

lebspy, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you say overloading, what exactly do you mean? What is the load when it shuts down? Are you maxing out the CPU, RAM, or...?

Also, are you running cPanel or any control panel on this VPS along with the forum or is it just the forum?

WSWD, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  5. lebspy

lebspy Guest

Best Answers:
    im using WHM cpanel. im using a wordpress and a vbulletin forum. when i say overloading it means that the CPU load is always about 7 and sometimes reaches 11 and even 20. the ram also maxes as well. i even stopped all services of the vps and the server's load stayed at 7

lebspy, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since you're using WHM/Cpanel, the Hostgator Level 3 VPS is not going to be anywhere nearly big enough for you. While the minimum is 512mb for cPanel, I would never use it with less than 1GB of RAM on a VPS. cPanel is going to just about max out that RAM. You add the forum on top of that, and it simply isn't going to work.

Have you determined what exactly is eating up the RAM and CPU? Wordpress is a resource hog, especially if you have a bunch of plug-ins. But you really do need to figure out what is causing the loads and usage and before you do anything.

WSWD, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  7. lebspy

lebspy Guest

Best Answers:
    well i contact the host and they said that mysql is eating all cpu resources. so i turned off mysql for some time to make sure if thats the problem, but i noticed that even with shutting down mysql, the load was still there. i assume that the server im currently located at is overloaded with too many other websites to the extent that im being affected by the others. i really dont believe a website with 70-90 people online cant be put on a quad core server with 2gb of ram. this really doesnt make any sense.

lebspy, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't notice you listed the host until I re-read one of your posts above. Even though their site says 4 cores, I doubt they're letting you use 100% of those 4 cores. In fact, I can almost guarantee that, just based upon their plans.

As well, I don't see any plans on their site with 2GB of RAM. Their largest plan I see is 1GB of RAM with 2GB of burst RAM. Is that the plan you have? If so, you don't ever want to count that as 2GB of RAM...particularly if the server is oversold and you don't have access to that extra GB of RAM. So if you have cPanel installed and a relatively busy forum, that 1GB of RAM could certainly not be enough. Contrary to what cPanel says, I have never seen the VPS version use less than about 300mb of RAM with even one site, and often 450-500mb. With cPanel alone using that kind of memory, chances are you don't have much less for anything else, assuming again you are really on a 1GB plan.

WSWD, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  9. lebspy

lebspy Guest

Best Answers:
    ok i got another question. how much does the speed of the cpu affect the loading speed of the site? i mean what cpu speed do u advise me to get based on the info i provided. i really would like to continue this conversation with u in private so i can provide u with more information about the vps stats im currently hosted at, so i can move to a new vps with good specs for once and for all, because im really tired and sick of moving from one hosting company to another. i would like to thank you again for your replies.

lebspy, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  10. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome!

Well if they are actually letting you use 100% of all 4 of those cores, you should be okay. Like you said, 4 cores should absolutely be able to handle your site, CPU-wise. The CPU speed is definitely going to affect the load times, but 4 full cores at 2.4GHz (as they list on their site) should be plenty. I'm still guessing the RAM is a major limiting factor.

When the server gets high load (or even when it doesn't), log in via SSH and run the "top" command. Here is a good article on how it works: http://www.kernelhardware.org/linux-top-command/

You should be able to get a pretty good idea using that as to what exactly is causing the increased loads, etc.

WSWD, Apr 5, 2012 IP
  11. AllHostOne.co.uk

AllHostOne.co.uk Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, well we can defently do a deal for you, i'd just need to know your budget so that I can work out what you'd be best with :)

AllHostOne.co.uk, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  12. pradimani

pradimani Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems some of your script is playing against you. Normally a 100 visitors forum can be run on a shared hosting even. Shared hosting from hostgator is enough for you, and its more powerful than vps.

pradimani, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  13. lebspy

lebspy Guest

Best Answers:
    budget is 50$

lebspy, Apr 7, 2012 IP
  14. lost45dollar

lost45dollar Member

Best Answers:
    knownhost may be...

lost45dollar, Apr 7, 2012 IP