1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VOTE: Stop making new directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by EducationLinks, Aug 26, 2007.

?

Should webmasters stop making new directories?

1. Yes. There are far too many new, low-quality directories already!

38.0%
  2. No. Let's see how far we can push Google before "Big G" devalues all privately-owned directories.

19.0%
  3. Maybe. Creating new directories is fine, as long as each focuses on a particular niche.

43.0%
  1. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask the owners of all of the newly-penalized directories the same question.

You can create as many general directories as you wish, which is your choice, but don't be surprised when your directory(ies) get banned.

EducationLinks, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  2. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Get banned? That doesn't make any sense.

I am quite sure the directories that dropped SERP ranking will get back again, I do not believe they have penalized them, but I might be wrong, but there are not facts what you are saying either.

As we say, only time can tell. Patience and we will see why this occured ;)

Regards,
    Meti

WatchOut, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  3. EducationLinks

EducationLinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "avivadirectory" = no search result
    "aviva directory" = no search result

When your site does not appear in a search for its own name, that is a penalty, not a SERP issue. I have dozens of sites, and never once have any of them dropped from #1 on a search for their names during SERP updates.

EducationLinks, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  4. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    EducationLinks,

Just so you are aware of this, this has happened to me and many other webmasters in the past, I remember not long time ago it happened on a non-directory web site for me (I don't remember which site) but I gained back my SERP within two weeks.

Maybe you are right, it might be a penatly, but I still do not believe Google is penalizing us, at least not yet.

Meti

WatchOut, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Google has made its intentions quite clear. They have drawn a line in the sand you would have to be blind to miss. Its time to get real, yes but there is one option missing from this poll which makes it pointless. Or is that the real future of the industry?.

workshop, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  6. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do see you post this baseless claim everywhere in this forum. Do you have a direct link from google to justify the line drawn by google?

maldives, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    There are two schools of thought here. There is the right way and there is the wrong way and if you believe that you have a right to lie cheat and steal that is your right.

workshop, Sep 4, 2007 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

Again, do you have a source? Thread on internet forums are hardly a reliable or accurate resource for much of anything.

Can you provide me with some solid evidence to support your claims? I see no proof of this, regardless of what you think of a keyword phrase search results render.

It looks to me like other sites just rank higher than the directory for that kw phrase.. That is not uncommon...

Hell, say "snot far" a few times on DP and it will be the number one result for that kw phrase..

So, where is your proof?

Mia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can do the search yourself and replicate what is being claimed (or not if it's false).

The Difference Between an Automated Penalty and a Hand Edit
    September 05, 2007
    Aaron Wall, SEOBook.com

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

I did. But that still does not prove that Google in intentionally penalizing directories...

Mia, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No it doesn't, in itself. And in fact this, based on Aaron Wall's comments, would suggest that Aviva is not penalized.

Neither does this.

But it has been reported that until a few days ago those searches were not returning the relevant directories.

minstrel, Sep 6, 2007 IP
  12. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I voted for option 3. There are a lot of directories. I never really look at the general ones, but then what you have to think about is that there are also a lot of good directories, which tend to be the niche ones. For example, hotscripts is a very useful and high visited scripts directory. The directory in my sig is an affiliates directory which is very useful for the people that are looking for ways to monetize their site or learn a little more about affiliate marketing, etc.

Niche directories, if done correctly can be very good. Although saying this, the affiliates directory in my sig is becoming more of an affiliate marketing resource site rather than just an affiliates directory as it has more than just a directory now. It's like a site with a directory embedded into it kind of thing.

I find that there are a lot of directories that don't have listings for all their cat or looks as if they have been put up over night. Saying that though there are still some good general directories about like Aviva.

john269, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  13. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very nice directory you have their.

DownUnder, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  14. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting thread...

I see nothing wrong with new directories, but am amazed when I see a person claim to have 10-20, and they're all low-quality... Why not make 1 and invest all your time into it?

Honestly, a lot of the new directories that have thousands of indexed pages, are nothing more then search-spam...

Eh, personal opinions...

tarponkeith, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  15. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is, some people seem to think that you could have one site making $1, but then if you had 10 or 20 of them you would make $10 - $20, which mean's it's much better to have 10 or 20 or if not even more if you want to make much more money.

The truth about this is, that if you worked everything out, then it clearly shows that having over 10 - 20 sites is the best way to fail online.

Say you had 10 sites. It takes 10 times as long to work with site designs, monetize them, advertise them, etc.

Now if you spent all that time on one site you will then have 10 times the amount of time to do a good professional design, more marketing which will result in higher PR and better rankings for that one site, more time to work and test your monetizing of your site, more time to update your site and give what your visitors want, more time to learn about your traffic, etc.

john269, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  16. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    If PhpLD charged even $20 bucks for the script the number of new directories would plummet overnight.

Lexiseek, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  17. tarponkeith

tarponkeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But with PHPLD, isn't there a backlink to their site on the bottom of every page? So, if the number of PHPLD new sites plummets, so does the number of new backlinks to the PHPLD site...

tarponkeith, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

Isn't it possible that Google is all messed up again as usual? I rarely find anything relevant when searching for things using Google as it is... I always see a wiki listing as the number one search result for just about everything though..

Go figure...

Mia, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  19. -MGS-

-MGS- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree, We have some many now. Every way you turn on the web a new one is being made.

Google is now starting to clock onto directories and will start to discount links within it, I do not think it woul dhave done this if like just say we did not have the directory boom that we have beenhaving. googl eha spicked up on directories:(

-MGS-, Sep 7, 2007 IP
  20. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have just voted on #3

dhruv37, Sep 7, 2007 IP