1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Volunteers Need Not Apply

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wrmineo, Dec 1, 2005.

1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A friend of mine submitted an application about 7-8 months ago that he filled online in 5 minutes and he was an editor less than 24 hours after submitting the application. May be instead of wasting money on universities, you should pay my friend to teach you how to fill an application? ;)

gworld, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  2. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a similar story.

As many users here on DP I do have several websites running, some of them are in DMOZ, some of them are not; some because they do not meet the editorial guidelines, some because they're affiliate sites. I'm well aware about these subtle differences.

I do know how to express myself well, (especially in my native language - which isn't english). I produce quality web-services which are valued and appriciated by my users. Any page produced on the web is text, but I do believe that what makes the web come alive is interactivity, I try to fully utilize the way the web can deliever software using rich media and databases.

The services I am talking about here features unique media rich content, they have no excessive advertising (compared to other sites in the same categories, they're very clean), they are designed by a professional designer. They're coded by me, validated by W3C. Features kickass features and solid testing. Hosting on servers I myself maintain at quality hosters. In other words, top notch.

Yet these sites isn't entered even in the smallest of categories by the editors.

As the first poster in this thread suggested; I too was fooled to believe that becoming a part of the solution would end my problem. I took up the challenge and submitted my first application to a very small (5 links), low pr (4), category at a small language part of DMOZ. I was rejected because of spelling mistakes togheter with a personal message from a editor. I took this experience to me.

Did this stop me? No. I tried again. And again.

A couple of the reasons that were given to me:
    "You need to enter all websites you are affiliated with in your application even if they are not related to the category". That is not a easy task, owning over 150 domains. Some where it's only my name in the WHOIS-information, but ran by another person. Does participation in a forum count as "involvement?"

"We have recieved your application, but have currently no possibility to accept it.". This was said about a spell-checked, fact-checked, proof-read and very complete application to the above mentioned category. (By myself and a good friend that is also a editor).

Summarizing my thoughts about this can be nothing else than my open disgust for the way DMOZ is ran; my ego-tripped, ego-centric, powerhungry, selfish, conservative, small-minded people abusing the system to feed their own sites visitors.

I dont know what the problem with DMOZ is, but either someone there has it out for me or it is just as corrupt as everyone says.

KingSEO, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  3. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    And why did you try to join DMOZ as an editor. :rolleyes:

pagode, Jan 30, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  4. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The same reason I want to join, the same reason YOU joined....the money!!! :D

EveryQuery, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  5. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to tell you but I have never made any money directly or indirectly from my editorship. I have a website but that is just for my hobby and it has no advertisements on it.

pagode, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  6. KingSEO

KingSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that one not mentioned critiera in DMOZ guidelines is that websites with advertisements are regarded as "lesser" than sites without.

Is that something I should consider when submitting?

KingSEO, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    500,000,000 possible sites to list. 200,000 new sites actually listed a year. 499,800,000 webmasters convinced corruption is keeping their site out.

1,500,000 possible submitted sites to list. 100,000 new sites added from submitted sites. 1,400,000 webmasters convinced corruption is keeping their site out.

Could it possibly be just the competition for those 200,000 prized spots keeping those 499,800,000 out? Maybe? If you have one or two or three sites already listed then you are already doing far better than the average.

brizzie, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  8. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No one is offering you big bucks for a listing. Pagode? You must be editing a bad category. You need to get over to the Shopping, Business, Real Estate, or Adult categories. Then you can start banking... ;)

EveryQuery, Jan 30, 2006 IP
  9. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    More numbers, more assumptions, more rhetoric.

A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and he will say that on the average he feels fine.

I have some of my own sites in DMOZ, have suggest and got accepted countless others .... you're making blanket assumptions that will alienate those who are not out to bury DMOZ.

This thread was started as a discussion about becoming an Editor, not about getting sites accepted. Too many at ODP assume that anyone applying to be an Editor is out for self-promotion. Stop applying your own motivations to others.

Are some people aggravated, disappointed and even disillusioned? Yes.

Will subjective, suggestive and arrogant rhetoric like that make it worse? Yes.

wrmineo, Jan 31, 2006 IP
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    The only people I see here at DP making that assumption are not DMOZ editors. In their eyes everyone who is a DMOZ editor can only have self-promotion as an interested to be one. I won't say there are editors who joined for this reason. But I also know a lot of editors who joined for complete other, non-selfish, reasons. And I am one of them. I joined because I knew a lot of sites about a hobby I have which weren't listed in DMOZ. I thought it would be a good thing to help these sites get listed. I then got hooked. Now 6 years later I have added some 15000 sites.

pagode, Jan 31, 2006 IP