1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Volunteers Need Not Apply

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wrmineo, Dec 1, 2005.

Friends, members and DPers, lend me your ears. For I have not come to praise DMOZ, but to bury my aspirations ....

For many years, I have supported and even defended the principals of DMOZ. I have even scoffed at the many hate mongers who seemed only to be bashing out of frustration that their site or editor application had been rejected.

I myself had applied to be an editor on two previous occasions and was rejected. I merely chalked it up to needing to improve my own understanding, skills, etc.

After some serious prodding of a few senior editors, I recently decided to again volunteer to become an editor; I hold dear the principle of becoming part of the solution versus complaining and being part of the problem.

With the mentoring of a few editors, I decided to apply to the regional category indicative to where I live. Although my community is very small and very few websites exists, I went to great lengths to find some relevant sites that would be good, relevant, and unique additions to the ODP. I spent several hours researching online to find these sites, sent the sites and my proposed titles and descriptions to a few editors I know for review.

In all, I had about eight hours into the application process alone. It was reviewed by three current and two previous DMOZ editors prior to submission. All five felt it was a solid write-up, the category to which I applied was a good fit for a new editor, and that I had no "stoppers" in place that would preclude me from offering my time and services as a volunteer.

I submitted the application on 25-Oct-2005, did the email confirmation and awaited my email response.

Yesterday, I posed a question at RZ regarding whether or not I should give input as to an update to my application - I recently became affiliated with the building and management of two new sites, both of which had been submitted to and accepted for submission into DMOZ. Although they were not within the category for which I had volunteered to assist with, I did not want any preception of impropriety.

The question I posed was not answered, but I was told:

Although I was not inquiring about the status, I was honestly a bit put off by the notification in this manner, especially since I'd not even received the infamous email of rejection.

I do believe they are things that could be done to improve the ODP but I still like DMOZ, its mission, and the weight it gives to sites who are lucky enough to get listed. I know several honorable and ethical editors, past and present.

However I also know that I will not be wasting my time applying to volunteer to become an editor anytime soon either. With so many things in life, it is said that the "third times a charm", to wit I will have to take closer to heart.

wrmineo, Dec 1, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster, minstrel and gworld like this.
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry for you that you got rejected but I could have told you from beginning that your method (Ass kissing) will not work. There are too many doing that and not everyone can become an editor.

Since you post on many forums, a much better method was to start with mild to medium level of criticism toward DMOZ and in the same time put some signs that you are ready to sell your principals in exchange for becoming an editor. This is a very effective method.

Since I know that you post in WPW also, do a search about an Admin posts who has a sticky about defending DMOZ in search engine section and he is also a DMOZ editor. You will notice that he started posting with attacking DMOZ and cbp (birdie in this forum), I think he called both crap but they made him an editor and bought his silence and he is now regularly used to delete anyones posting that is a critic of DMOZ.

Anyway, don't let it bother you and have a great day.

gworld, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    2 years ago I would have loved to be an ODP editor but got rejected and called a spammer. 6 months ago I would have still accepted the position.
    Now I wouldn't do it. All the good editors are leaving. I don't see any benefit in becoming a DMOZ editor anymore. No gratification other than being able to come on forums and annoy webmasters who have DMOZ related questions.

Blogmaster, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  4. Test-ok

Test-ok Peon

Best Answers:
    That's too bad Rob. I know Rob from other forums and he would have made an excellent editor. DMOZ's loss. :(

Test-ok, Dec 1, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  5. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    did you then go and volunteer for another site? if not, why not - could it be because, even though the good feeling from volunteering is the same no matter which directory you're volunteering for, that isn't the kind of reward you're looking for from this line of work?

bradley, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  6. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Tom!

I consider myself an objective person, but I must admit, if I didn't know several very professional, ethical and dedicated editors, it would've have been very easy for me to become subjective over this issue. Well okay, maybe I have to some extent, but luckily I know that great people within ODP exists which prevents me from taking this too personal or becoming one of "those people" who can only bitch about DMOZ and not be at least somewhat objective.

DMOZ's loss, my gain - more time for forum posting. :p

wrmineo, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    umm excuse me but what exactly are you trying to say?

Are you trying to discredit me in some way? And if so .. why?

Blogmaster, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    bradley, I don't get why you said that to Mike either. :confused:

Frankly, as far as I know, the other directories that allow a person to volunteer are privately owned and the hard work of the volunteers can be sold at the whim of the owner. In fact, unless I'm mistaken this has happened at least once or twice.

This is not true of the ODP; we have the social contract to protect us. Therefore, the good feeling from volunteering is not the same with other directories. I edit for the ODP. If they cease to exist I would not volunteer for any of the other existing directories.

compostannie, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    Jat likes this.
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Personal experience - Mike listens and takes on board, he may not always agree with us but then it would be a strange (and untruthful) editor who completely understood and agreed with everything DMOZ does.

wrmineo - sorry your latest application was rejected. You should still get an email with the reasons and if the reviewing meta editor put down reasons that might help. If you don't get the email you could enquire maybe?

brizzie, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  10. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    My apologies annie (and Mike!) - I had not considered that explanation for wanting to work only for DMOZ and when rejected not consider any other directory.

Shucks, it would have been better if Mike had said it himself, now we will never know, but I'm prepared to accept that's why he might only want to edit in DMOZ, and that DMOZ's importance to google SERPS relative to other directories every bit as welcoming (though perhaps not protected by a social contract, as you pointed out annie) is not a factor in that preference.

Mike, if that's true, then please forgive my cynicism (not usually unwarranted, but I can see it might be in this or any other case). In no way was I trying to defame you, I was merely putting forward the hypothesis most often shown to be true in situations like this one.

bradley, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, bradley... in Mike's case, you were right on in the initial post: the motivation would have been self-promotion, no doubt about it.

minstrel, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    gworld likes this.
  12. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was an editor in Dmoz for a while but like most editors you just forget to go there after a while. So after time my editor spot was closed for not doing shit. The thing I didn't like is when I tried to delete shitty sites someone told me to just leave them in the "waiting to be reviewed" section. It was really shitty since 20% of these sites were crap.

So then I decided to start my own directory. ;)

larysmith711, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    Sharpseo likes this.
  13. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    like I said, I'd rather not assume guilt without proof, so in my eyes he's innocent of self interest.

bradley, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Bradley, thanks :)

Here is the deal: I actually did edit for Joe Ant and Skaffe but lost interest. I did have a true interest in editing for DMOZ. And I did have a couple of sites I wanted to add, but that would have been only a nice side effect.

Right now, the things I have once been inspired by regarding DMOZ, they are drifting away. And I don't like the fact that there is so many politics involved in being an editor now.

I wouldn't spend my time talking about DMOZ if I didn't care at least a bit. But I don't see a bright future ahead. One thing I believe is that you guys are all gaining great experience thru being an editor, you should all consider doing something with that if you ever leave. ( http://scripts.site-sift.com has free scripts ;) )

Mike

15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Oh and you're still a scumbag. Go get some mental assistance yourself. You are a coward, Minstrel. Talking about DMOZ won't help you get better, face your real issues for a minute instead of spending half your day ranting about DMOZ like some moron.

You are so pitiful.

Added: I apologize to anyone else having to read this.

16. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I love this forum.. so much love. :D

I only applied to be an editor to get my sites listed in DMOZ, and I do think that the category I applied for would be much better off with half of the crap I would have deleted.

When you look at the crap in some of these categories its soo obvious that the editors have interested in the categories, because of the sites that are listed. IMHO.

But let's make love not war :D

DarrenC, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And you're NOT ranting about about DMOZ? or have we dragged you back into it AGAIN?!!? :eek:

And spending half your day in stupid threads like "Will Nintendo ever get laid?" and "Vote for me at Hannity" is a sign of mental health and maturity? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    It's called live and let live. Try it sometime. You always need something to argue or someone to get, don't you?

19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    laffs and laffs someone tried to give me a red neg but they don't have enough power to do so ;)

DarrenC, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  20. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    i've been racking 'em up recently... meh! I just wish people would leave comments as well

bradley, Dec 2, 2005 IP
    3sa and SEbasic like this.