1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vista or Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kattposh43, May 28, 2008.

?

Which OS is the Best

1. Windows Vista

33 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Windows 7 (Vienna)

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. scozzie

scozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Windows 7 won't be out until at least 2010.

Theres nothing wrong with Vista...people just like to jump on the "bash Vista" bandwagon.

If you're having problems I think it's a case of the "workman blaming his tools".

Can anyone give me a genuine reason why they think Vista "sucks"? I'm sure there will be a few of you, but the vast majority will have no idea why they're saying it...it's just because other people say it.

scozzie, Jun 2, 2008 IP
  2. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally agree with scozzie. They blame Vista but most of them didn't even tried it :)

Yankee85, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  3. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    100% true. I have talked to most people who said they heard Vista was bad. And they said its just because someone told them so.

I've talked to people who work in the tech field and most of them say Vista is pretty stable. Yes it has one or two problems. But all these tech blogs talking about this is the end of Microsoft. All I have to say is keep dreaming. Apple's new OS hasn't even made a dent in Microsoft and yet everyone is hating on them. Wait till Windows 7 comes out. And the surface computing experience.

Not to mention that with the bundling of Windows XP in computers for developing markets, Microsoft is making sure that it is a step ahead of Apple. As I say its easier to find life on Mars than Apple to take away the computer market from Microsoft.

worldman, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  4. BigFatMan

BigFatMan Banned

Best Answers:
    From what I have read, VISTA has too many bugs. I am sticking to Windows XP for now.

BigFatMan, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  5. scozzie

scozzie Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol...what bugs? What have you read exactly?

That's what I mean...people assume things that simply aren't true.

scozzie, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  6. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah...
    BigFatMan, at least try it.

Yankee85, Jun 3, 2008 IP
  7. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well the main problem is the reviews. The people in the tech world seem to be paid off by Apple to wrie bad reviews for Vista.

So far its not helping Apples cause though. People are just becoming more and more attached to XP.

worldman, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. Kyle101

Kyle101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend either. What you need to do is you need to see if you have enough money for a Mac. If not, you've narrowed it down. Ask yourself if you want Windows XP (don't even go as high as Vista or Vienna) or Unix/Linux. Unix/Linux is your best bet security wise, but on Windows XP it's easier to install apps and programs and some people are more comfortable with. But, in my opinion (I've worked with all OSs) here's the list from best to worst:
    Mac
    Unix/Linux
    Windows XP

Windows Vista and Vienna don't even deserve to be on a list with best in the title.

Kyle101, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  9. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know who told you vista is less stable than XP. I use Vista64 and it's much more stable than XP.

ly2, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  10. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, good plan. Pay double the amount for a mac. This way when it breaks, you can pay double the amount to get it fixed.
    This pretty much sums it up: http://freepostpictures.com/macpc.jpg

ly2, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  11. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think Vista in unstable. The main bugbear with it is the fact that it's a pain in the arse to get working how you want it to. Windows 95 was a pain to get working, Windows 98 was a bit easier, Windows ME (Vista's evil older brother) was a pain in the arse, Windows XP was the best one yet, easy too install and setup and install further software. Vista has taken a step back again in terms of ease of use. It's obviously better and more sophisticated, but it is a pain to get working compared to XP, which is a major oversight on MS's part.

I know loads of people through my work that have needed help setting up Vista when, if Vista was made properly, they shouldn't need any help... it should be even easier to set up and run than Windows XP, so easy a chimp could do it. Most users aren't tech-savvie DP posters, they're just people sat at home with their kids, people who work in offices for who a computer is just a machine they use and not a way of life - all the stuff that's been added into Vista, the better security and anti fraud stuff is aimed at these numpties who don't know any better when downloading crap and opening phishing emails, but they've made it initially unusable to the same numpties they're trying to cater for, so they have to ask people like us to sort it out for them.

Hopeful the next Windows will have more of the chimp in mind, switch it on and it just bloody works - everyone's happy...

Astroman, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  12. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    windows XP

homebizseo, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  13. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Windows 7 = Windows Vista + multi touch support

crath, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  14. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Vista has to be the worst OS so far. As hungry as a rabid dog and as difficult to navigate as a plane without a wing I'd go straight back to XP if I could. Problem is I got caught with the new lappy I bought, it never came with a Disc only the OS on a partition, clever gits. I can't see why they're looking at Windows 7 when they haven't really ironed out the creases with this crap yet!?

JamieG, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  15. Fire_Thief

Fire_Thief Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista is great and 7 will be too.

Fire_Thief, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  16. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    And not just Apple :)

Yankee85, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  17. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    + all the interface will be WPF-based.... I can't wait to have a cool looking notepad :D

Yankee85, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  18. HydroJohn

HydroJohn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use vista! I have got 2 computers one with xp and one with vista I persaonally love vista and will upgrade my other pc when i get tha time :D

HydroJohn, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  19. ProDom

ProDom Peon

Best Answers:
    Windows XP is still available on Dell.

But whatever you've heard about Vista is wrong. It DOES NOT CRASH AT ALL, its more stable than XP ever was.

ProDom, Jun 6, 2008 IP
  20. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard vista is bad, I'm telling you its bad from experience. It's memory hungry to an unacceptable level, slow and cumbersome and has taken what I feel is a backward step by complicating the uncomplicated. Its not a patch on XP which in truth you could transition from pretty easily from the older versions. As for bugs, no, there aren't that many now, there was but I've not (touch wood) had any real issues for a while now.

JamieG, Jun 6, 2008 IP