1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vista killed my Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clive, Apr 2, 2007.

For over 1 year I used to operate a HP Compaq nx6110 Notebook PC running a preinstalled Windows XP Home Edition. Not a problem at all during all this time. Today, I decided to upgrade it, and that turned out to be a bad move it seems.

What I did was:
    - add an extra 512Mb of RAM, and replace the CD-RW with a DVD-RW drive
    - upgrade to Windows Vista Home

Mind that it says HP recommends Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business on this particular laptop guide page.

It took me about 1 hour to configure the laptop under the new Vista, and then all of a sudden the screen froze. I had to force a reboot, and then it would not start again. The power led lights up, I hear noise, but no reaction on screen at all. I suspect that it's the Vista that has blown the graphics card and since it is an integrated one, I might have to get a new motherboard. Could I be wrong?

Clive, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  2. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    maybe it's the upgrade you've done, the hardware upgrade

sandossu, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  3. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Took the extra RAM off, and unplugged the dvd drive for change but no difference..

Clive, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  4. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is the extra RAM no-name? If not, does it have the same clock speed as the existing RAM module(s)? Does HP actually support the extra RAM you added to your laptop? It might be a problem with the RAM or the graphics cards, but that's not said yet.

sebastianrs, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  5. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    It used to have a 256Mb and I added an extra 512Mb stick, make seems fine...

Thanks for your input, sebastianrs

Clive, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  6. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I must have missed to further look at new posts of this thread. Anyway, in case the problem does still exist... what I was referring to was the clock speed of the RAM, not the capacity. For example, you might have had a PC2100 DDR RAM module and added a PC2700 to it. I doubt that this might have caused the problems, but I wouldn't exclude it at all.

sebastianrs, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Thanks for coming back to this, Sebastian.

My laptop is not at the service guys for diagnostics. I kind of do not feel fantastic about that but hopefylly they will come up with a clear answer to what has caused the crash. If it was the Vista then I'm going to contact Bill and ask if he hasn't got a spare laptop to give away to me :)

Will keep you posted, once again thanks.

Clive, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  8. Freelance GD

Freelance GD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think its vista. It might be the Ram you added. Check again all the hardware you added/upgraded.

Freelance GD, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  9. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    It was just the RAM and the DVD RW drive replacement. Yes I will check that when I get to talk to the service people..

Clive, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  10. RSLegit

RSLegit Active Member

Best Answers:
    don't buy vista lol. waste of money, wish i hadn't bought it

RSLegit, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  11. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe you did not install vista correctly??

this guy has a good video of his installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7UhLNyigg

did you run your PC with the new mem & DVD prior to the U/G?? adding too many things at once is never a good idea ;)

timsdd, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  12. RSLegit

RSLegit Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, of course i insalled it directly. it is a just a flawed operating system produced by the epitome of an overly capitalistic company.

RSLegit, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  13. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    The DVD RW, the 512Mb RAM and the Vista. Well I guess the Vista was too much, wasn't it :D

Clive, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  14. BargainBait

BargainBait Active Member

Best Answers:
    It might be the RAM you added. Unless I read your posts wrong and missed something, when you were adding stuff to your laptop, you might have fried the motherboard with static electricity, gotten dirt/dust somewhere where it should not be, or anything else that can happen when the case is open. The last time I replaced RAM in my desktop, the motherboard was fried since I forgot to release my static electricity on something beforehand. :(

BargainBait, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  15. rogeraususa

rogeraususa Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I lost my Dell XPS GEN 2 laptop to Vista as well. During a visit to MS Update site, the auto-download of the newest NVIDIA drivers incorrectly installed GeForce 6800 Go ULTRA drivers for my GeForce 6800 Go. Basically, I got artifacts all over the screen and in short order, my graphics card was dead and the computer wouldn't even boot anymore. Just power on and a dead, black screen. Now its off to Dell for a replacement (and probably very expensive) graphics card.

Vista was very nice to use (for the short time I spent with it), but the graphics drivers aren't even close to stable, MS update sent me drivers which incorrectly identified my card and caused me not only crashing, but inevitably the death of my laptop.

As long as I ran in standard VGA or "classic theme" I could at least boot into the system for a while.

Check your drivers and make sure that the correct ones are installed. It's common knowledge on the web that Vista graphics drivers (NVIDIA mostly - and ATI to a lesser degree) are pretty flaky.

rogeraususa, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  16. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    stories like this make you want to run right out and buy it!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

timsdd, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  17. prue187

prue187 Peon

Best Answers:
    prue187, Apr 12, 2007 IP