1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vista is most secure os?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by 1ahosting, Mar 24, 2007.

1. kblessinggr

kblessinggr Peon

Best Answers:
    Not quite, the built in security of Unix and Linux based systems are far tighter than those of a default windows installation. So something on an automated level would have a harder time breaching a mac or linux box.

Though the exaggerated sense of security of a mac user does leave them vulnerable to phishing scams and such, and in some cases may blindly provide their username/password when a malicious program asks for it. But to date nothing on an automated self-propagating level to the destructive level of stuff written for windows has been seen on a mac yet.

In the end over half of the infections or security breaches could have been prevented had the end user used some common sense.

kblessinggr, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. FBZ

FBZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    haha, not possible. Windows Vista isn't open source thus years behind any other operating system in terms of bugs and security. Linux distro's are far more stable and secure than any windows OS around.

Mac is just based off of unix in which is open source. They are far more better than Windows, and have some pretty unique and crazy ideas, therefore being successful :p.

Microsoft will never be secure until they go open source or calibrate with another company, both options will likely bankrupt them :p (if that isn't going to happen already).

FBZ, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Mac OSX has been certified Unix just over a year now and can now be called Unix instead of just "based on".

drhowarddrfine, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  4. AC-Coach

AC-Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft OS's are so insecure they remind me of a piece of Swiss cheese...loaded with holes

AC-Coach, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  5. francisD09

francisD09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically it is the platform of Windows 7 so I guess it would be secured but still, It's much more safer installing another security software for more protection.

francisD09, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  6. pantho

pantho Banned

Best Answers:
    The most secure we would consider is LINUX and Vista is not secure from ma point...and everyone knows that..!

pantho, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  7. lamthao

lamthao Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista is more secure than XP but it run slowly

lamthao, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  8. harishsyndrome

harishsyndrome Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista happens to be more secured when compared to plain XP not SP3.
    Vista UAC gives additional security feature, but the fact UAC can be broken easily

harishsyndrome, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  9. FifthDimension

FifthDimension Member

Best Answers:
    The right statement would be Vista is a people-friendly operating system thats about as secure as it can get. It is not guaranteed to be that secure, but is often the target of maliciousness simply because it is very widespread.

FifthDimension, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  10. ArmKaz

ArmKaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no secure os. All OS systems have holes in them. If you want a os without any holes, then the end less possibilities of using an os would be limited.

ArmKaz, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  11. ulooms

ulooms Peon

Best Answers:
    I thaught OSX was the "Most Secure" OS? Havnt used it on my iMac forever but never once had a threat.

ulooms, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    OSX is Unix and far, far more secure than Windows could ever hope to be. All *nixes are.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  13. moneybagz

moneybagz Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh god, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump the thread, I'm new here and I didn't know it was 2 yrs old lol! :confused:

moneybagz, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  14. Lanarkshire IT Services

Lanarkshire IT Services Guest

Best Answers:
    hi there

NO Windows OS is secure unless the user takes the appropriate security messures and maintains these constantly.

Thats why there are updates all the time.

As a test, go online with Vista with NO AV, spyware / malware (not included with Vista) or firewall protection and see how you get on.

Take you about 8 seconds to get infected.

Regards

Lanarkshire IT Services, Aug 16, 2009 IP
    calum likes this.
  15. j4k3yyy

j4k3yyy Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a common misconception any operating system is safer than another. When you put somebody in control of a system, 99% of the time it's their fault the system gets owned.

A secure system depends on who's maintaining it.

What's more secure, a fully patched Windows Vista machine or a Debian box running OpenSSH v3.6?

Trust me, i speak from experience. The problem is almost always between the Keyboard and the Chair.

j4k3yyy, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a nice thing to say but not true in itself. It's far more difficult to break into any *nix system compared to Windows. Even a careful Windows user is bound to get infected and no Windows user would dare run without an anti-virus program (and some run more than one). However, many of us *nix users don't bother. Not just because there are only two known exploits in the last 10 years (both are now dead) but because of the difficulty for these exploits to get into the system in the first place.

Now someone will pop in here and talk about some Linux kernel vulnerability recently discovered but they won't know that the exploit can't possibly execute (and they won't be able to tell you why either but they read about on the internet so it must be true).

So some operating systems are more secure than others, it's just that Windows is the least secure of them all. And while a careless user can get even a *nix computer infected, it's highly unlikely, and the same careless user will very likely get his Windows computer infected.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  17. aamigallery

aamigallery Guest

Best Answers:
    The newer OS from MS are bound to be more secure as compared to previous OS.

aamigallery, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  18. vishal172

vishal172 Peon

Best Answers:
    nope Linux is secure than any other

vishal172, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  19. SoSweet

SoSweet Peon

Best Answers:
    My be vista secure.... but i use XP sp 2 with firewalll and its fine

SoSweet, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  20. rahuldev

rahuldev Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i guess yes so, but havent tried the windows 7..Windows 7 may be the best os.

rahuldev, Oct 6, 2009 IP