1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Visit Length E-Tailing

Discussion in 'General Business' started by T0PS3O, Feb 10, 2005.

Hi,

Just had a look at our statcounter 'Visit Length' pie chart and was a bit shocked to find the attached stats on one of our shops. It's 16:00 afternoon time, a log of the last 500 visits approx.

In particular, the < 5sec group is 'interesting'.

Because it's Javascript based it might not be entirely accurate but it does seem to be failry consistent.

1) How does this compare to your sites?

2) Why just 5 sec?

In an attempt to answer 2), most of these come from Google, obviously through a relevant search so one would assume they found what they were looking for (in most cases). I hit the back button myself within a few seconds if the site is appaling or I can not establish the visual link between the offering and what I was looking for.

Our site doesn't look crap at all so that can't be it. Relevant KWs, what they were looking for, are in H4 and H2 tags above the fold so they should be able to instantly verify the relevancy of the landing page.

What else can be done to keep them a few seconds and get them to read the content at least?

It can't be loading time either since the pages are failry light.

Only explanation I can think of is a technical one where it might be down to that it can only record the time on their second hit. Else there is no data to measure the length from. If they only stay for one hit, i.e. don’t click further, the system might default to ‘< 5 sec’.

Any ideas on this matter? Thanks.

Attached Files:

T0PS3O, Feb 10, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I found it, it's indeed a technical limitation. When someone only reads the landing page and doesn't click through, it never gets to the 'next guy with a stopwatch'.

T0PS3O, Feb 10, 2005 IP