1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'Cluster Computing' started by Suresh Kumawat, Mar 5, 2012.

Hello Friends.

I want to know about virtual memory in computer. Please write something about it.

Thanks

Suresh Kumawat, Mar 5, 2012 IP
  2. RobertStev

RobertStev Peon

Best Answers:
    In computing, virtual memory is a memory management technique developed for multitasking kernels. This technique virtualizes a computer architecture's various forms of computer data storage (such as random-access memory and disk storage), allowing a program to be designed as though there is only one kind of memory, "virtual" memory, which behaves like directly addressable read/write memory (RAM).
    Most modern operating systems that support virtual memory also run each process in its own dedicated address space. Each program thus appears to have sole access to the virtual memory. However, some older operating systems (such as OS/VS1 and OS/VS2 SVS) and even modern ones (such asIBM i) are single address space operating systems that run all processes in a single address space composed of virtualized memory.
    Virtual memory makes application programming easier by hiding fragmentation of physical memory; by delegating to the kernel the burden of managing the memory hierarchy (eliminating the need for the program to handle overlays explicitly); and, when each process is run in its own dedicated address space, by obviating the need to relocate program code or to access memory with relative addressing.
    Memory virtualization is a generalization of the concept of virtual memory.

RobertStev, Mar 18, 2012 IP
  3. David krsty

David krsty Peon

Best Answers:
    Virtual memory is just like you can say a system where all physical memory is controlled by the OS (operating system).

David krsty, Mar 20, 2012 IP
  4. success.inhere

success.inhere Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    virtual memory is feature from OS, to help physical memory. Basically, virtual memory is using some partition to allocationing from hard drive, and the standard size is doubling of capacity from physical memory :)

success.inhere, Apr 1, 2012 IP
  5. vita-admin

vita-admin Member

Best Answers:
    Practically, Its the memory which controls your multitasking performance... the more the virtual memory, the more your multitasking will be boosted.. i m struggling with my "Old Prime" - windows XP ...because the system on which its running is terribly low on ram and hard disk hence i had to empty every piece of data+junk from my laptop and increase the virtual memory through settings, umm, for now my lappy is atleast out of ICU for sure, no doubt it hangs sometimes ;)

vita-admin, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  6. mangoo

mangoo Peon

Best Answers:
    mangoo, Nov 2, 2012 IP
  7. xsimio

xsimio Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do not overuse it. It will slow your computer. :)

xsimio, Jun 7, 2013 IP