1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vioxx: the new mesothelioma?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Tapanti, Oct 7, 2004.

I’ve seen a significant increase in the interest of lawyers and attorneys in finding people who might have had severe side effects with the use of Vioxx, especially after last week news and the drug being pulled from the market when a study showed that it doubled the risk of heart attack and stroke.

I’ve made a quick search for bids on terms such as “vioxx lawyer”, currently at $30 per click in Overture and “vioxx lawsuit”, currently at $18 per click in Overture and wondered if this is going to be the new mesothelioma for those who try to make money out of other people’s suffer. :mad:

Any AdSenser here using it already?

Tapanti, Oct 7, 2004 IP
  2. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it. Thanks

qll, Oct 7, 2004 IP
  3. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know why this thread was moved from AdSense forum to Search Engine Optimization forum... maybe it's the way I wrote it, but my intention was to find out if somebody with AdSense program was using it. Why was it moved? :confused:

Tapanti, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  4. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said in the meshotelioma (or mesotelioma or something like that) thread it's really bad to earn money from people's suffer and even from people's life.

It's better to focus on web hosting, reseller domain accounts and other keywords that will show some high paying ads and that are perfectly "normal". At least I sleep well at night ;)

eduardomaio, Oct 8, 2004 IP
  5. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh well, since the thread was moved to the SEO forum; let’s make it a SEO discussion. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you check DP’s Keyword Suggestion Tool, the biggest vioxx related words are the term itself, followed by “vioxx side effects” and “vioxx heart attack”.

As of October 8, making a search in GG for each of those words shows not a single lawyer firm in the top 10 results for “vioxx”; 2 law firms on the top 10 for “vioxx side effects” and 6 lawyer related web site in the top ten results for “vioxx heart attack”, including the obviously SEO specifically created viox-heart-attack.com.

In the case of “vioxx heart attack” you can see that SEOs have been working their heads off to improve the position of their clients sites, as most of the pages listed in the results are just regular brand new pages (mostly with PR0 or PR1) that are under big sites, and just for those who ever doubted about the efficiency of including your keywords in directories’ names, all you have to do is see the URLs of the search results:

1st place: /practice_areas.asp?ID=177&Practice=Vioxx_Heart_Attack

2nd place: /vioxx/heart-attacks.html

4th place: /Current-Cases/vioxx-heart-attack.asp

5th place: a/PROP364/vioxx-heart-attack.html

If you analyze those pages, it’ll be also interesting to note that even thoug all of them have been optimized, the resources used to optimize them are just basic SEO techniques, what proves that it is absolutely not necessary to use excessive and spammy optimization techniques in order to achieve good results, even in highly competitive areas.

It will be interesting to see how long does it take for SEO firms to position their law firm customers on the top 10 organic results for the first 2 search terms.

PS. Continuing with the “forum effect” discussion that has been held over the last few days, I'll be checking to see if DPforums get ranked for those words anytime soon. ;)

Tapanti, Oct 8, 2004 IP