1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Viewing Client's System Requirements

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Feidan, Jun 15, 2004.

Hi, I am a total n00b when it comes to scripting (Im just learning ASP this summer) and web pages but I was wondering if it's possible for a web page to detect a client's RAM, CPU clock speed, Video Ram and Operating System when they browse the page? I am trying to create a requirements page that can tell clients if they have enough memory and cpu power to run an application.

Is there anything that javascript or ASP can do? I do know that Javascript can return what kind of browser a person uses and some display properties but that doesn't help. Are there any kind of scripts already out there that can do the job? Thanks for the help

Feidan, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't found answers to all of your needs but, you can visit http://wsabstract.com/script/cut22.shtml for a script to detect the OS. :cool:

North Carolina SEO, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Server logs pick that up any way (along with Screen Res and Browser type)

SEbasic, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  4. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure this would require an activex control or something similar.

l0cke, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  5. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe the concern here is to predetermine if a client has the resources available and respond to them if not. IMO.

North Carolina SEO, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  6. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    The goal is to check to see if the client has the resources availible and simply state if they do or dont. The goal is to inform users with no computer knowledge if they can run our service on their machine by going to this page. Does anyone have any sites that can teach me activeX controls as l0cke mentioned?

Feidan, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  7. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    l0cke, Jun 17, 2004 IP
    Feidan likes this.
  8. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is roughly exactly what I was looking for. Was it done in javascript or using ActiveX and where could I find a site that could teach me how to build something like that?

Feidan, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  9. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Search for "Using ActiveX Control on your Web Page" or something similar. I would not even attempt creating a control if you do not know VB/VC++. You will also need to get a digital signature for your control from a third party such as Verisign... Actually, now that I think of it you may also want to look into creating a java applet. Java may work but I am not sure if it can obtain all of the information you require from a client.

l0cke, Jun 22, 2004 IP
  10. Feidan

Feidan Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your help L0cke. I think my best bet is to try to get Java to find the information as I know little of VC++ and VB. I think it might be possible to get some of the information through Java. I guess I will have to go digging into the API :)

Feidan, Jun 23, 2004 IP