1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

View with dynamic columns help

Discussion in 'Databases' started by warpedghost, Dec 22, 2006.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this view.

I have 2 tables.

TableA (Holds Event Scores)
    --------------------------------------------
    Player EventID Score
    Jim | 1 | 3
    Jim | 2 | 2
    Jim | 2 | 4
    Dave | 1 | 2
    Dave | 2 | 2
    Dave | 2 | 3
    Dave | 3 | 1
    Dave | 3 | 3

TableB (Holds Event Names)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Event EventID
    Running | 1
    Jumping | 2
    Diving | 3

I wanted to join the two tables but only have 1 row for each player. The table would have a column for each Event in TableB with the players name and the event with the sum. So the end result would look like this:

View
    --------------------------------------
    Player Running Jumping Diving
    Jim | 3 | 6 | 0
    Dave | 2 | 5 | 4

Is it possible to create column names dynamically based off of a tables column value? If so, could anyone help me with this view?

warpedghost, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  2. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    You are going to run into problems because your first table has no primary key. This would also be easier if there were a third table. The third table would be playerID, player. Your tableA should look like ScoreID, playerID, eventID, score. Without the scoreID, you could run into problems with matching rows. If the score in Jim's third entry were 2, then that row would match the second entry and could confuse the db.

You can do what you want by using nested select statements. For example (note- my example assumes three tables):

tblPlayer
    -->intPlayerID (int) pk
    -->chrPlayer (char)

tblEvents
    -->intEventID (int) pk
    -->chrEvent (char)

tblScores
    -->intScoreID (int) pk
    -->intPlayerID (int) fk
    -->intEventID (int) fk
    -->intScore (int)

select chrPlayer as 'Player', (select sum(intScore) from tblScores r where intEventID = 1 and r.intPlayerID = p.intPlayerID) as 'Running', (select sum(intScore) from tblScores j where intEventID = 2 and j.intPlayerID = p.intPlayerID) as 'Jumping', (select sum(intScore) from tblScores d where intEventID = 3 and d.intPlayerID = p.intPlayerID) as 'Diving'
    from tblPlayer p

Or something like that....

druidelder, Dec 28, 2006 IP