1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VestaCP Exim is not sending emails, but is receiving normally

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by loginbiz, Dec 2, 2015.

Recently i did VestaCP install on a new server of my own, and then, created two users and uploaded site&database content to it, and so, everything was working normally, except for one thing, that is the SMTP that for some reason cannot send emails, all the emails that i try to send it become automatically stuck on the exim email queue like frozen emails.

Too, sometimes i receive a bounced message appointing the following error to me: "retry timeout exceeded". By the way, i am receiving emails normally, my inbox is working 100%.

As i recently installed VestaCP on my operating system that is CentOS 6.5, probably it is some configuration that is missing, or such so, because i did not did any config on exim.

I need a solution or some hints to be capable to solve that problem.

loginbiz, Dec 2, 2015 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello there,

A couple things to check:
    • First thing, check the log files on your server, they may help pinpoint the issue.
    • Make sure your IP has correct RDNS set up. If it does not, most mail servers will reject it.
    • You should check your IP using some of the different black list checks, here is one to start - http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx. You may have to go through and request removal. If you have multiple IP's on your server, check them all, one may be clean, then you can set up Exim to send mail via that IP.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Dec 4, 2015 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    As he's saying the email never even leaves his server, it's not because the IP is blocked, or RDNS isn't set up (although they might not be set up correctly regardless, of course) - the way he describes it, the email never goes out - if it had, and bounced, due to server config errors, he'd get a mail back (at least from some hosts) telling him why the email bounced.

I'm guessing something is amiss with the SMTP-setup, and I'd recommend the same - check the server logs, to see if there is an error repeating there. How are these emails being sent, btw? Via webforms, internally from a mail-client, sent via PHPs mail-function...?

PoPSiCLe, Dec 4, 2015 IP
  4. loginbiz

loginbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies, and i probably agree with PoPSiCLe, by the way i do not have sure.
    The emails are been sent via Outlook(windows mail client) using my MX configs with SMTP Auth enabled. The inbound mail server and the outbound mail server points to the same address.

Here is the exim log tail 1 minute after i sent the email:

[​IMG]

loginbiz, Dec 7, 2015 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Wait. Is this a local server set up on your own network?

PoPSiCLe, Dec 7, 2015 IP
  6. loginbiz

loginbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. is a cloud server hosted on a data center, i got the log via SSH client

loginbiz, Dec 7, 2015 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    I'm confused... you're running a server on a cloud-setup... but using Outlook to send emails? Wtf?

PoPSiCLe, Dec 7, 2015 IP
  8. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ PoPSiCLe - Sending mail in this fashion is typical as you are sending it from a local computer to a remote mail server for distribution / collection.

@ loginbiz - From the small snippet of the log provided there appears to be a couple of issues. Check your resolv.conf file to ensure you have good DNS servers listed, as the first error states it cannot resolve a host to IP address. I would suggest you use Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). The second issue I see is that there is someone trying to log in with the incorrect credentials.

I think the majority of your issues may be due to the server not being able to resolve domain names correctly, which is the resolv.conf file I mentioned you need to validate.

Regards,
    Chris

RHS-Chris, Dec 8, 2015 IP
  9. loginbiz

loginbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, my post was weird, but this time ill be more accurate.

I have a CentOS 6.5 server hosted on a DataCenter and i am acessing it via SSH. I have installed VestaCP on it and then as default Vesta is using EXIM mail server to send;receive emails.
    At the moment i have a problem that EXIM cannot send emails, because they just become stuck on the queue like frozen emails and never go out.

I said that i was using Outlook with properly configured email with my hostname and my username and so, to send "Test Messages(mails)".

loginbiz, Dec 8, 2015 IP
  10. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Ah, that makes more sense. As @RHS-Chris stated, it sounds like you have a resolver-problem, problem with DNS - can you reach websites and such from the server? Ping external IPs?

PoPSiCLe, Dec 8, 2015 IP