1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very strange behavior from Google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gbh1935, Dec 11, 2008.

I have two sites that received steady traffic from google for the past several years. Both sites were well listed in google but not MSN.

I started working on getting them listed in MSN. I created a sitemap, submitted it to MSN, and pinged it every other day for about a week. Finally MSNBOT came.

One my first site to get MSNBOTed.

The first weird thing I noticed is that my Javascript based site logging tool registered the MSNBot activity. Googlebot never shows up. This leads me to think that MSNbot is actually executing the javascript .js include file, something that googlebot does not do.

What is really weird though, is that as soon as MSNBOT started crawling, my traffic from google (as tracked by referrer) went to ZERO.

About 2 days later, my second site also crawled by MSNBOT. Again it showed up in my JS based logger. Again my Google Traffic instantly went to down in a major way. From 50 visitors a day to 2-3 visitors.

Is msnbot doing something to mess up my google traffic? Besides my own tracking JS, is it possible that it is executing the google adsense JS and getting my site blacklisted?

This just seems too weird to be coincidence.

gbh1935, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  2. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's news to me :) I got to try this with one of my sites. What kind of javascript did you have? Can MSN execute all types of javascripts? Can I send them in a 'javascript.refresh' loop? :)

There is no relation between MSN and google but a strange coincidence :)

jitendraag, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  3. jg_abad

jg_abad Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that Google will take this stuff as a black hat, If possible than provide details about your ranking ( you have mentioned that your traffic were from referral, it might happen that referral have removed your link) if you are getting visitors from Google search engine and your ranking affect from this stuff than we can have some conclusion.

jg_abad, Dec 12, 2008 IP