1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very sloppy update for Q1 - 2008

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bryce, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, my Stumbleupon page was PR3 and it's now a greybar as well. Again, this update is very strange. I'm not complaining because for as many minor inconveniences I saw in my sites, I did make some headway with others. I'd hate to be a webmaster with only one site or blog though because these updates are getting too unpredictable.

Bryce, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  2. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CanadianEh, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  3. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    depending on where I check, I get pr0 on multiple dcs, pr1 on multiple dcs, and occasionally pr8

my own toolbar says pr0

ruffnat, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  4. corlock

corlock Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't pay really much attention about this latest update...still focusing more on SERP ranking and driving traffic...

corlock, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  5. FREE BET

FREE BET Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I like the fact that the social pages dropped in rank...(the comment sides.....) it really does show a more realistic view...

FREE BET, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  6. abraxas

abraxas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It appears "unranked" on my toolbar, but not sure if the update is over or if there wont be another one soon...

abraxas, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  7. bestsoftworks

bestsoftworks Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen no changes on my site. I'm assuming it will take them several days to complete all the updates.

bestsoftworks, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  8. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    It's showing as a greybar for me :eek: and the highest internal page I can find is PR1, the rest are greybar or PR0.

Could the update be still going on? I thought it was over??

Bryce, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  9. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe something in google's algorithm that is designed to penalize many sites somehow got technorati caught up in it, and google will do something manual to fix that one (because it is high profile)??

ruffnat, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  10. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but it still doesn't make it right that smaller webmasters get penalized and the bigshots get a "fix" from Google just like Copyblogger did last update because he's a part of B5Media. Doesn't seem too fair on Google's part. Oh well, their stock fell 17 points today, probably more tomorrow. Hope Matt Cutts cashed out his stock options because people are shorting Google at under 600 per share before February (hehe, I am one of them)...

Bryce, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  11. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you, it sucks because so many of us that do things the honest way end up getting the short end of the stick and google only fixes their mistakes on a small percentage of sites (high profile ones), and the rest of us are left with sites that are crippled through no fault of our own

ruffnat, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  12. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. This is sux but this is life.

wokaka, Jan 15, 2008 IP
  13. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    For my site, my page rank has been 4 for two years, yet my backlinks in webmaster tools have doubled since I first started monitoring them a little over a year ago. My organic results are fine, but it is funny how there is a psychological effect to not seeing your pagerank on the toolbar go up when you feel like you've earned it. Any way, the only change I've noticed in this update is that the link: operator count changed a week ago.

ericfromandys, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  14. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most sites have a lot more links these days so it takes relatively more links to keep a PR4 than it did a couple of years ago.

CanadianEh, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  15. DLGx

DLGx Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites got dumped 100 positions back, again, and lost 75% traffic. Happens every time google does a major update.

DLGx, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  16. daones

daones Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same here.. I really expected to improve my PR2 site.. I moved up considerably in SERP rankings and doubled my backlinks and picked up a few higher PR backlinks and received no PR improvement.. must be an error if you ask me because I would of at least expected PR3. My blog which I barely did any link building for expect social networks got a PR2 from 0.

daones, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  17. DLGx

DLGx Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a lot of interior pages/subpages on the domain ranking way higher than the mainpage or main section pages for stuff. Guess it's google's way of "improving" their search index.

DLGx, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  18. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate it when that happens, hopefully you'll get your rank back in the next update. I lost two PR5 sites (dropped to PR3) and loss of 50% traffic in the last update (and I never sold links on those sites) but both are at least back to PR4 now and I'm seeing an influx of traffic. Luckily none of my major earning sites got whacked this update, only one site I was doing a community service (go figure).

Bryce, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  19. joey112

joey112 Guest

Best Answers:
    Guys this isn't an official update. Google do this a couple of weeks before every update. You will notice the PR of your sites changing from 2 to 3 to 4 and back to 2. Don't expect it to be stable. But i can see another PR update the first, Q1 of 2008 to be within a fortnight. Especially since the last one was so delayed.

joey112, Jan 16, 2008 IP
  20. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds to me like billybw has this problem. (There is a link in that thread to a tool to find those higher PR interior pages.) Are yours doing the same, Bryce?

You are thinking of a canonical update. I don't think this one was, but with the flaws I am seeing, we will probably see a canonicalization update soon, followed by another PR update if they stick to patterns I have noticed before...

NetMidWest, Jan 17, 2008 IP