1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very sloppy update for Q1 - 2008

Discussion in 'Google' started by Bryce, Jan 13, 2008.

Has anybody else with multiple websites found this update to be very sloppy and just totally hit or miss ? I'm not complaining as I operate over 60 sites so there's bound to be some discrepencies but overall, this update was one of the most odd and unpredictable update I've ever seen from Google.

For example, I have interior pages outweighing the main index of several sites. I also have sites that used to occupy the #1 spot in the SERP's for niche terms drop off the radar and sites that I didn't even bother to SEO work their way to the top of the SERPs.

Also, Google's backlink count for 90% of my sites is totally off. For example, I have one site that Yahoo is showing 6000+ backlinks for and Google is only showing 1300+ in Webmasters Tools and only 230 using the link: command.

As I stated above, with as many sites as I have, I'm used to some volatility during a Google update... Please share your experiences and maybe we can all figure out what the heck just happened.

Bryce, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    shaunclark likes this.
  2. Cryspatus

Cryspatus Active Member

Best Answers:
    A few of the blog posts I have that had no backlinks went up in PR, and some of the ones with hundreds of backlinks either stayed the same or went down. I just started a new website that has only had one page indexed, and its a random page thats far in the archives, not the home page... Google is definitely acting strange

Cryspatus, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    shaunclark likes this.
  3. jamieellis

jamieellis Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site just went #11 to #5... then back to #11 again after about an hour. Things changed a lot then everything went back to exactly as it was before.

Wierd.

jamieellis, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  4. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    I also see higher PR on the inner pages of two of my sites even though nearly all of the backlinks come into the home pages. It's illogical and mathematically impossible for this to happen if the PR calculations are done correctly. So either these are calculation errors by Google's algo, or possibly the update isn't over yet and the discrepancies will be corrected in a few days.

billybw, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  5. conker_on_net

conker_on_net Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am looking forward to this update being over. There is some strange stuff going on and G seems a bit unsettled.

conker_on_net, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  6. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds to me like google is experimenting with things to try to get rid of sites that are trying to game the integrity of their algorithm

it is interesting that you say that sites that you "didn't even bother to SEO" are showing improvements .... when you think about it, that is the way google intended it in the first place

ruffnat, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you ruffnat but it seems like every time they try to fix something they end up breaking three other things in the process. I don't really mind because I use only approved techniques but I'm puzzled by the random application of PR to some of my sub-pages and not all on an even basis ????

@conker_on_net, it looks like (to me anyway) that the update is complete. I haven't seen any real changes since Friday evening. Has anybody else seen changes occuringover the weekend or do you think it's over for now ?

Bryce, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. And I think you might be right.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of change except with three smallish niche directories. One of them (the newest, smallest, least developed, and least promoted) was off-line for a while around the time of the previous update and has been showing the "gray" toolbar PR graph (PageRank not available), while the other two were PR4 and PR3 if memory serves ( the PR3 might have been PR2). As of a couple of days ago, the previously "gray PR" one (still very much a kind of "under construction, no real promotion" site) is showing PR4 while the other two have gone to gray bar.

Wierd.

Edit: Actually, I just did some further checking and my main Psychlinks site has gone to PR5 after languishing at PR4 for 2 years. I guess I'll stop complaining. :eek:

minstrel, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    shaunclark likes this.
  9. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, google is currently trying a new algo. and this update was the preversion of that algo. change

trichnosis, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  10. dman_2007

dman_2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever they are trying, it is not working correctly. One of my sites has 5150 backlinks according to yahoo, 1776 backlinks according to google webmasters tool and 176 according to google, yet it has pr 0.

dman_2007, Jan 13, 2008 IP
    shaunclark likes this.
  11. ryan_xj

ryan_xj Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site used to be at the top 20 with the homepage, then changes to a deeplink and drop one spot.. thats weird!

ryan_xj, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  12. jakomo

jakomo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Yes something rare happen here, one of my site got PR4 and got the backlink update, but at the same time gone from Google, coincidence or not? I do not know

Best,
    Jakomo

jakomo, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  13. ketan725

ketan725 Member

Best Answers:
    looks like....... google shows only backlinks for my site. no pr.

ketan725, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  14. mhmdkhamis

mhmdkhamis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this update not finished yet
    i hope it finish to see all result to all sites

mhmdkhamis, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  15. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    I get PR 4 although I only expected PR 2 for my new site. Strangely, my older site is still PR 3 although I get big jump in my SERPs in the last 2 months. Strange? Yes, of course!

wokaka, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  16. 1websitedesign

1websitedesign Banned

Best Answers:
    i have page rank 3 and it,s showing 66 links in the link command

1websitedesign, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  17. nebraskaemarketing

nebraskaemarketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed that my PR 4 Stumbleupon Blog has dropped to grey bar. del.icio.us too. Strange

nebraskaemarketing, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  18. adamx8

adamx8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bryce, I operate 72 websites and you're right...it is a hit and run right now. I am holding tight though and staying on the ride. Some times it's instant and sometimes it's not, but truthfully this is the first update with this many websites so I guess it is to be expected. I compare it to Santa...he doesn't visit all the boys and girls at once, he does it through the night.

adamx8, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  19. fromkhun

fromkhun Guest

Best Answers:
    Most of mine site remain the same.

fromkhun, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  20. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Pr update won't affect your SERP rankings. Even if PR did you would see the results when your site received link juice. The PR update is just a visible update to the public so they can see a number.

fadetoblack22, Jan 14, 2008 IP