1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VerbalBattle.com

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by drmike, Jan 8, 2009.

I used to have a site on this domain and in only two months time it got ove 80 memebrs and 1200 some posts. I can't remember why I shut it down, but hopefully it doesn't happen again this time. Just relaunched it yesterday and already up to 10 members with over 100 posts.

It is a debate forum where people can debate any topic they wish, which... can usually lead to some high post counts.

Anyways, curious to see what you think it is worth now, and what it could be worth with.. 100 members, 500 members, 1000 members, any insights at all are appreciated and rep added for deserving appraisals.

drmike, Jan 8, 2009 IP
  2. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I offer money can I get some appraisals?

drmike, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  3. kanishka

kanishka Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^What do you mean??You offer money to whom?

kanishka, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  4. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol, why to offer money if you can get this service for free?

if you have money to spend for appraisal go to sedo or godaddy but I dont its worth :p

dlatua, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  5. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was more of a joke due to the lack of appraisal responses... I just seen 2 respones and figured I might have gotten a couple but guess not:(

I remember about a year ana half ago you could ask for an appraisal and have a few within an hour.

drmike, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  6. kanishka

kanishka Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will appraise as soon as come to my PC..

Currently on my mobile....

kanishka, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  7. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sweet, can't wait to hear your opinion!

drmike, Jan 9, 2009 IP
  8. kanishka

kanishka Active Member

Best Answers:
    well,

Nice forum.Unique in topic.

You got many categories and may be you need to add some more like debate on person etc etc

you could even advertise it a bit so that it can get famous. I mean the topic is hot and you could really get some good peoples in there to share their views.

The forum is well designed and if the popualtion increases(which i am expecting) you would need some moderators to maintain the forums as well.

Also try and apply some more MODs of Phpbb in the forum and just make it look cool and relevant to the Topic of forum.

Try and create good logo for the Forum , Do SEO many things are still left.

Once again , I am saying...Just try and popularise it and for sure it will grow well.

I personally feel that the Forum deserves more than thousands member and even i have become member(though i wont be able to contribute much as i am pretty Busy Nowdays)

All the Best. :)

kanishka, Jan 9, 2009 IP
    drmike likes this.
  9. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your insights kanishka, rep added!

I will look into some more MODs for the Phpbb to see what could be useful for the boards. I do plan to advertise but right now I am left to free advertising methods for a little bit, but with only four days under its belt the site now has 12 members and 122 posts, so as long as I can maintain that kind og growth, may not have to spend a whole lot.

As for SEO, I am not really sure how I would go about doing SEO where it is a script, but I will most definetly look into it.

Thanks again for your opinion. It kind of mimics what I was already thinking and what I have been told in the past. When i first purchased this domain over a year ago and posted it on here for appraisals I got an average appraisal between $x,xxx and $xx,xxx range with proper development and just wanted to see if people still felt that way.

drmike, Jan 10, 2009 IP
  10. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still looking to get some appraisals on this?

Thanks!

drmike, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  11. TheNoose

TheNoose Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it a "dofollow" forum?

TheNoose, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  12. Alan|AzH

Alan|AzH Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some observations, or 'what I would do if it was mine'.

• Switch to vBulletin. I'm a vb fanboy but those who know forums will be more likely to join a vb forum as the investment required means it not going to disappear in a few months. It's a touch of quality and class for a community.
    • Add a portal. This could be vbadvanced or a wordpress blog or custom job. Use this to show case your more interesting debates and topics, example right now if you had a front page with "GAZA BURNS" you'd get hits, interest, registrations and fun-times. As it is now I can't even see what is being debated and the temptation is to navigate away.
    • SEO that place. Your success is going to be related to getting noticed. I like human readable URLS. http://www.verbalbattle.com/gaza-debate.html is a hundred-fold better than http://www.verbalbattle.com/showthread=19567.php
    • Get a less generic theme. I get nothing from your theme. I see nothing related to debating, battles or similar. We're a very aural species. Pictures speak a thousand words.
    • Spell 'Deabte Forums' properly ;)
    • Reduce number of categories. 10 is far too many at this early stage. If you had, instead:
      • News
      • Politics
      • Religion
      • Other
    • You'd appeal to more visitors.

You have the potential to have mass appeal if you do it right.

Do you also have 'debate' staff? E.G. people you can trust to post interesting and involving opinions? Or are you just going to leave it to joe public to supply the content?

Alan|AzH, Jan 12, 2009 IP
    drmike likes this.
  13. drmike

drmike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Alan, thanks a lot for your comments! I have been putting a lot of thought into getting VB, but want to test the waters and see if it is something that will last before spending the money. I would hate to cough up the $180 and 2 months down the road have trouble getting anyone to join/post. As for the themes, seo, etc I am really limited at the moment as I do not know how to edit the themes, nor do SEO on a forum... I can do HTML SEO, but once it gets into php I am totally lost.

I am running with a friend of mine and between the two of us we try to get good topics up there whenever we have the time. If it does grow I will likely consider hiring people to come up with good topics and debate.

drmike, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  14. Alan|AzH

Alan|AzH Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck with it, Mike. I'll check in every so often see how you're getting on.

Alan|AzH, Jan 12, 2009 IP