1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Venting

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by CedarCity, Jan 13, 2006.

I just wanted to vent a little to you guys and get some suggestions on what I should do. I have submited to DMOZ quite a while ago and of course no one has reviewed my site yet. Thats not the problem really, My problem is I know there is no editor for my section of the site. The reason I know this is because out of the 12 sites listed in my category only 2 accually work. The others have been redirected to other sites (infact one agent has 3 listings pointing to his sites and they all have other agents names on them) I sent an email to dmoz and of course they quickly rejected it because there is no one to edit the category. Well being the type of person I am I figured I could help out and edit the category but of course thats a conflict of interest so thats not going to happen. So I guess the question becomes, do i just lie to get accepted as an editor under a different name or what actions can I take. I really would prefer not to lie but being as my main competition is cheating the system it almost seems justifable. Obviously im not going to do it I just get so frustrated with the whole DMOZ project. Ok well thats about it, thx for letting me vent and if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

CedarCity, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Go here http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=206357#post206357 and mention the category - it will get fixed up quickly.

No, dead cert to get rejected. Even thinking about doing that is a negative.

Can you edit objectively even though you have a personal interest in the category? If so, declare the interest and your honesty will be appreciated and probably count in your favor.

Get the category fixed first as above - sounds like you have a grudge that needs to be exorcised before taking things further as an editor - grudges are as bad as self-promotion.

brizzie, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  3. Draconic

Draconic Banned

Best Answers:
    Instead of being so frustrated, work on creating a quality site, and then worry about the directory submissions.

Lying and cheating justifiable? Wow. :D

Draconic, Jan 13, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  4. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    " Obviously im not going to do it I just get so frustrated with the whole DMOZ project."

For the all the people who just want to attack I will remind you of what I said. As to the suggestion to submit it to the forum. Thx very much for your help. I really hope that works.
    As to the grudge. I dont really have a grude. Does it annoy or upset me that my competition gets 2 listings in Dmoz and I cant get one. Yes. But life isnt fair and I have a way better site then him and its just a matter of time anyways even with his 500 link head start (if its true that dmoz is worth 250 links)

CedarCity, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  5. albemarle24

albemarle24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like venting was well worth it. It helped me learn something as well! I knew about the forums but didnt know they could be effective in getting dead links removed quickly. I have seen a few myself.

albemarle24, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  6. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya I feel the same way. While bitching like me is highly frowned upon in this case it seems to have helped alot. :)

CedarCity, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  7. TMan

TMan Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't work that way. If you're honest and objective you can still become the editor of the very same category. I myself for instance applied for a category which wasn't edited, and simply stated in my application that one of the candidates I would like to submit was of my own making.

Really, it's not like dmoz purely exists to irritate webmasters, it just exists to help people browsing the web, not the people making the web. (Although that's not very web2.0 :D )

TMan, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't think it is true. If it ever was, it's not now.

minstrel, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    When you reported the problem today in the RZ forum the reply was that the issue had already been dealt with on the 10th. Which means the email method works too. Note that DMOZ public servers can lag behind so you always have to allow a few days for changes to show up.

brizzie, Jan 14, 2006 IP
  10. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes the email method did acually work it just took time for the public servers to update.

CedarCity, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  11. PGZ

PGZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Hell I submitted my site and then my wifes as a joke with her....

Hers got listed and mine is still in Limbo somewhere.....Go freaking figure.

PGZ

PGZ, Jan 15, 2006 IP