1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Venting on Advertising Yourself as a "Cheap Writer"

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by gbartlet, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Ratchet

Ratchet Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the logic you point out there. I also agree, why would you be proud of being an inexpensive content writer? The answer is simple, the quality is rubbish, though many people still opt to use these writers, therefore we need to lower our prices in an attempt to gain business. If people actually realize that their sites would perform far better with decent content from a decent writer other than rubbish.

Ratchet, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  2. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Me and sis call ourselves "inexpensive". We usually wind up getting hijacked by another member who calls our description a lie! :p

Karen May Jones, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  3. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okie so we have you and another member after your post saying that they wont reduce prices merely for the sake of competition, but what is it that we get to see in forums these days.. prices hitting the lowest just to get some work, not just here but on job sites like rentacoder, elance, guru et al..

I recently posted my requirement of freelance writers on all of the sites and honestly, the lowest quote I got was about a buck per 500 words. Of course the quality was decent enough.

loudbeats, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  4. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    You are making an assumption that EVERY WRITER (your words, not mine) is willing to reduce, we are telling you that's not correct. Is there something else you needed? It's very cute that you are enthusiastic about the deals you are finding, and I am very happy for you :), but I would avoid trying to contact other writers assuming that they'll be happy to accept your rates.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right you are.

That being said, I would like to see Jhmattern bidding to write an article for 1$. Just once. :D;)

lightless, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  6. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Prinzel, just cuz you're saying that you dont reduce prices due to competition wont erase the fact that almost 95% of writers out there are doing low paid content. And I can prove you wrong by providing 100's of forum threads not just here on Dp, but on other forums like Namepros, DNF, SitePoint et al. Oh and job posting website qutes from free lancers & companies ranging anywhere from $1-$10 some..

Here is a link to the work that I got done for 1 buck.. I think quality was pretty decent: Link

Prinzel, I never EVER in any of my posts mentioned about contacting writers or even try, and I can definitely see an assumption made by you about it..

Dont get all defensive just cuz you charge more then the most out and around cuz its not only about YOU Prinzy! :D

7. THFS

THFS Peon

Best Answers:
    I think i can proove him wrong, piling the evidence on now.

THFS, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  8. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll wait for that proof :p

9. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you have definitely done your research. You amaze me, and your 95% figure seems very accurate, especially since you did so much sampling. Thank you for schoolin' me, friend :)

And hey, if you are right about the whole 95% thing, why are you getting so upset about my warning you not to contact writers expecting them to accept your amazing theory? Maybe because you generalized a bit too much? Although, you threw in a percent...so you must be right...

And why did you change from "every writer" to 95%? You aren't lying or anything, are you? I generally believe everything I read on these forums, so I can't believe that you would...And, how will you prove me wrong? By proving that I will accept less for you? That's really the only point that I've made, and you already proved me right by acknowledging that AND giving me back another 5% of writers. Thank you:p

Awesome content on your site BTW. Best of luck!

alexa_s likes this.
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So what do you want? What is it that you seek to achieve?

Do you want another bunch of decent quality 1$ articles written? Do you want us all to write for 1$?

Writers are diverse, there are the big fish and the low rung "Will work for horsedung" types and many other types in between. Some of the big fish won't even bother to take two minutes out of their busy schedule to post you a reply. [And thus waste a few potential dollars in earnings]

11. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Prinzel, just for your peace of mind and clarity, I will quote my initial post and highlight that it doesn't say every writer writes for 1 buck, oh and for you to lightless. you both are trying hard on that point anyways lol :eek:

it says, every writer wants business and wouldn't mind offering the lowest price possible for whatever content work... and it doesn't say that you write for 1 buck but again who knows. I'm sure you very well negotiate your price with buyers, and who knows what you have been charging or have charged from each buyer.

I see this taking DEFENSIVE turn lmao, trying to defend your prices or what?? just cuz ya'll think that you write well.. oh and no I dont want or need your writing services. Thank you !!

12. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are wrong. "Some writers" would be apt though. At least one or two writers didn't want to offer the lowest price possible as seen from the posts some way back by Alexa and Prinzel.

So the usage of "Every writer wouldn't mind offering the lowest price possible for whatever content work ", which means 100% of all writers [Unless your usage of "Every writer" means 70% of writers or something] isn't correct.

Crap. There goes my chance to make BIG money. :(

13. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I dont need to sample you like 100 or 1000's of articles just to prove myself cuz I'm not the one proving things here (other then aprox. percentage), and as I said I can still provide links to those forum threads plus screenshot of quotes seeking low amount for decent or good quality content. I will be glad to school yah a lil' more :cool:

Where did I get upset? lol If you didnt notice, I'd actually appreciated and rep'd you for one of your posts earlier :p

As I said, I dont need to contact YOU or any other writers cuz I already have quality people working for me.

read my other post for "every writer" thing you on about.

I dont wanna prove you wrong because it'd just waste my time and I'm sure you would never admit to it even though you may have worked for low prices in those private message deals..

its Awesome for me :)

Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  14. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    who said I want anything mister so called quality writer? And there are some things done to achieve nothing, unlike you whose trying HARD to prove his point or achieve the title of Quality Writer lol

And I see how big of a fish you are (or are we one of those "Cheap Writers" pretending not to be one), taking out more then two minutes to respond to every post made out here. good going!!

15. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    Assumptions much :eek: who said I was going to hire you anyways?? :p

Anyways, I'll just leave you two (Prinzel & lightless) to it cuz this is taking more time then expected and I have money to make so that I can feed you "quality writers" for content. ;)

16. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Somebody needs a nap :)

lightless likes this.
  17. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't consider myself a writer though I love writing. I hold good writers in high regard. It's an art form. I would only consider myselves a part-time writer at best. Do you see me advertising writing services on my sig?

Anyways I was just having some fun with you. Didn't mean to get you mad or something. :D

loudbeats likes this.
  18. loudbeats

loudbeats Active Member

Best Answers:
    okie so I'm done wit my fun, ya'll should get over yours and get back to work. lol

lightless likes this.
  19. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    In some quarters, apparently a subtle (or, in this case, not-so-subtle) change of tack springs to the lips more readily than the words "Sorry, I may have been mistaken". [​IMG]

alexa_s, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  20. shulace

shulace Member

Best Answers:
    It's a start.. That's how I see it. Advertising yourself as a cheap or inexpensive writer or whatever you want to call it, is a logical jumping-off point. Not too many buyers are willing to entertain newbies, the tendency is to associate inexperience with sub-par quality writing. So in order to build reputation you sell material at cheap rates to get potential buyers to give you a second glance. There's the angle of "competition" as well, but I think that, that would be a cheap shot. Still though, it's a way strategizing one's survival in the web writer's world. :cool:

shulace, Jan 12, 2009 IP