1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vector mapping urgently needed guidance

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Kulashekharan, Sep 20, 2005.

hi folks,
    I m on a project doing GIS in webservices for viewing biomass spatially
    To be frank i m a beginner to GIS, I learnt that the information i ll b geeting as input ll be vector images from a satellite ... I need to add on fns like zoom in zoom out ... zoom a particular selected radius etc.. Plz suggest me the whole working of it.
    What is vector images n how do v convert them to jpeg files..
    u can mail me at kulashekharan@gmail.com or post ur reply here
    thanks a lot

Kulashekharan, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  2. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey,

I would suggest using ARCVIEW by ESRI you can convert Vector images to .jpg
    and use plug in extensions to quantify the biomass overlaying the map.

There is a STEEP learning curve-, but I think you can download a lite sample of it from ESRI.com to play with and do basic stuff.

carowan, Sep 20, 2005 IP
  3. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    If you school/work doesnt have Arcview, try this site http://opensourcegis.org/ for open source GIS products. Dont know much about them, but they are out there.

I just realized, are you sure that the images you are downloading from the sattelite are Vector images? They are usually static jpegs, tiffs or something of the like,which then can be transferred to a vector image by an arcview extension. Its been a while since I messed with this but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

carowan, Sep 20, 2005 IP