1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vector ETS?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by mmelen, Nov 5, 2007.

I'm new to this... so any help would really help.
    I want to make a design for a printout.

Knowing only web design, I made the design via Photoshop as a .psd.

I talked to someone over the phone and he said I need it in Vector ETS w/ Adobe Illustrator.

Can someone tell me what I need to do? Is there anyway I can conver the .psd to whatever they need? What extension is a Vector ETS anyway?? Or am I understanding this totally wrong?

Again, any help appreciated. thanks.

mmelen, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, I think you mean EPS (Encapsulated PostScript), which is a common file format for printers.
    You could try to save it as a Photoshop EPS or Photoshop DCS 2.0 EPS (this one might be your best bet...).

First, set your colors to CMYK. Do this by going to Image>Mode>CMYK in Photoshop.

Now, go to File>Save As... then select either of the above options I mentioned.

You will have to call your printer and ask them though if they accept either of these types of files. One of them should be acceptable, just double check.

eruct, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. mac_crazy

mac_crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    Saving the file as an .eps from photoshop won't make it vector! Once created in Photoshop, it's a raster image (although there are vector tools in PS)... Saving as an .eps won't change this fact.

Your only option really, is to have someone re-trace the .psd art in Illustrator, and save it out again. Sometimes this is very simple, other times it's more difficult, depending on the complexity of the graphic/image. If you like, I could look at the image and let you know what I think, I've done this kind of thing many times, here's one example:

[​IMG]

Like the guy above me said, you can convert the image in Photoshop to CMYK, and if the graphic is hi-res (300dpi), he can probably print it. BUT, there are many types of printing, CMYK is only one. If you're printing spot colors, or using a screen printing technique, etc... CMYK isn't much help.

PM me if you need more info.

mac_crazy, Nov 6, 2007 IP