1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vbulleting and MySQL permissions...

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by NewComputer, Jan 25, 2005.

I have had my webmaster setup a database for me to use with Vbulletin. Problem we are having is that the only access to the database that will work is the admin access, the one that would give me access to all the databases through PHPmyAdmin. I cannot use this username and password, but according to him, he has configured it correctly. I don't have a lot of details, but hopefully someone here can help me out. He seems stumped.
    SEMrush

NewComputer, Jan 25, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He didn't configure it properly. :) After you setup new MySQL users/permissions, make sure you flush privileges. Also, if you are connecting to a newer version of MySQL from an older client (for example the one built into PHP) you need to use the OLD_PASSWORD() function to create the old style password hashes.

digitalpoint, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shawn,

I will let you know how he responds to that info. He is extremely stubborn and always says "That won't work", no matter how good my ideas are (or yours :).

4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am getting this error:

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in

Followed by my directory

Followed by

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

Can anyone help....

5. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Use at least a couple of accounts for your web apps. One with read-only privileges - for anonymous web users; they can read the database, but can't modify it, even if they somehow managed to find a SQL injection vulnerability in your app. Another one with select/insert/update/delete privileges. These users would be able to modify the database, but can't drop tables or databases (still, they can empty tables, but this time you would have their user ID and can track them down). And finally, you will have your admin account for yourself (it can be different from root for various security reasons).

J.D.

J.D., Jan 25, 2005 IP