1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin vs. phpBB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by bnaze13, Apr 20, 2005.

1. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Actually if you want to use some free forum then i recommend SMF and if you want to use paid then definately vbulletin!.Reason Vbulletin is better then IPB and other paid bb scripts..and SMF is alot better then PHPBB.You can install modifications with few clicks alot of skins better support on thier forums. :)
    Saad

saadahmed007, Nov 28, 2006 IP
    Imran likes this.
  2. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you.
    VBulletin is simply the best forum software available on internet today(prove me wrong). You can virtually do anything with VB ad mods, customize the way you want, looks,functionality, mods, plugins, etc....

phpBB is free it comes with lots of issues, security, not so easy to modify, I wont be running a forum with phpbb, If I'm doing some serious business.

SMF is free as well, security wise its best compare to phpbb or other boards, I have 4 smf forums and 3 vb boards. I'm completly happy with vb I can do Any modifications with ease, recently added photoplog gallery, downloads mod all with simple steps. Not the case with smf though have to really scratch my head before do any modification to template, most mods needs default template to run/work, wont work on other templates.
    [​IMG]VB and its team.

Imran, Dec 2, 2006 IP
  3. dojo

dojo Peon

Best Answers:
    The best forum for me is phpBB, even if I have VB, IPB and myBB.

I know how to install the hacks and mod the themes and the hacks WORK no matter the version they were created for. I have VB 3.5 and I'm scared to upgrade since the 20 hacks I installed for my forums MIGHT not work. Never had any issues with phpBB. Just made the code changes in one of my board and the 20 hacks I had previously installed work perfectly. No issues or worries.

I dislike VB since it's not offering features it should offer, they make updates monthly now and I need to see if the hacks I installed work or not. Excuse me but I have 10 forums and not time to play with the script whenever the good guys at VB release a new line of code in an update. Never worked with the support, don't need it. After 5 years of phpBB I thnk I know what I am doing.

Not to mention that winning phpBB of the year at phpBBhacks makes me even more in love with the good free script I use on 6 of my forums :)

dojo, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  4. thuonghieu

thuonghieu Peon

Best Answers:
    vBB is best in secure, phpBB is "BEST" in INSECURE :D
    http://google.com and search key: vBB bug
    After that search key: phpBB bug
    That is reason why big forums use vBB

thuonghieu, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  5. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really think that is a reliable way to compare the security using google search. If you use a different search such as vbulletin bug instead of vbb bug then it returns a whole 80,000 more results than what phpBB bug does. :D

My favourite to use is phpBB because of its ease of use in template modification and how the code is separated from the html. It may not have as many features as the other bulletin board systems but with all the modifications which are available on the phpBB site i'm sure it can be brought close to it.

In regards to security, as some have said that it is the most "insecure" there is I myself don't entirely think so. As it is said on the phpBB site in numerous posts a phpBB forum which is kept up to date and has html disabled is quite secure. That is something I had observed in the past. My forum in the past had been hacked twice, both times only when phpBB was 8 versions behind the latest release. Since always having it up to date I have had no problems with being hacked whatsoever.

SMF is another good choice for forum software (free choice). I've snooped around the Administration Panel of a live site and liked what I saw, although I still prefer phpBB over it anyday. (thats just me)

One thing to note though, the new phpBB is going to totally kick some butt when it is released, with all the new features and the like. Maybe it may be able to be compared to the paid solutions for forum software.

:)

chopsticks, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  6. thuonghieu

thuonghieu Peon

Best Answers:
    Securityfocus.com is biggest site in security. Try search it :D
    phpBB bug: http://www.securityfocus.com/swsearch?query=phpBB&sbm=/&metaname=alldoc&sort=swishrank
    Too many :p
    Change key vBB and vBullentin and you will see

thuonghieu, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  7. chopsticks

chopsticks Active Member

Best Answers:
    30 pages for phpBB and 9 pages for vBulletin. There is quite a significant difference, but remember there are alot of unsecure mods which are created by the users. :)

The base phpBB seems quite safe.

chopsticks, Dec 3, 2006 IP
  8. thuonghieu

thuonghieu Peon

Best Answers:
    For free forum, I like ikonboard in Perl.

thuonghieu, Dec 12, 2006 IP
  9. alex-big-guy

alex-big-guy Member

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin is really expensive ! $280

alex-big-guy, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  10. masud7827

masud7827 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i thing vBulletin rockzZz but it is costly and PHPBB is open source

masud7827, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  11. dropbop

dropbop Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people cant afford to purchase vbulletin.. I would suggest SMF. Very simple to set up, easy to use, and has number of security features... my favourite being an analoge clock instead of captcha, its gotta pretty difficult for people to inject your database cause these hacking scripts are just no good at telling the time, especially if its not the present time!

In saying that, all forums are good in their own ways. But if I was to say which one to go for then it would be vbulletin.

dropbop, Feb 25, 2010 IP