1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin or IPB?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by cmpolis, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Which forum software is better?

1. vBulletin

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. IPB

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
    Hello Everyone,
    Ive decided to make my next forum not phpBB. Which is better and why, vB or IPB?

Thanks

cmpolis, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  2. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are essentially the same software...vB tends to have a better user side, IPB has a better admin side...everything else is all personal preference/needs. I prefer vB because it is more widely used and thus has a larger mod/support community

GTAce, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  3. Eased

Eased Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have fell in love with vBulletin from the start.

Eased, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  4. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin all the way

terryuk, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  5. juniorcj

juniorcj Guest

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin has better support channels (I believe, as you are paying for it), and is easier to customize in my opinion.

I love the mods as they work seamlessly, with phpBB i often have trouble getting a mod to work properly or at all.

juniorcj, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  6. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    vBulletin. Its a stronger, more developed product from a somewhat stronger company. And more to the point, vbulletin.org has a massive hack database which puts IZE and other IPB modding sites to shame.

gprime, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  7. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    VB all the way ...................

just-4-teens, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  8. janjalani

janjalani Active Member

Best Answers:
    When you buy a vb, you might wanna buy vbseo too :p

janjalani, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  9. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    vBSEO is a waste of money unless you have nothing better to spend it on...and for any small to medium-sized forum, this will be the case. vBSEO is a good piece of software, but TERRIBLY overpriced...I say take that $150 and spend it on advertising, contests, a new skin, etc. Save vBSEO for way down the road.

GTAce, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  10. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like vbulletin and its intuitive admin area, however it has too much options that makes hard to manage it by yourserlf if you do not have a team to help you out setting up different aspects.

Also I like Invision subscription manager which is easier to handle and effective getting members signing up for packages, so I stick to this.

Finally, thought limited, it is still possible to get free skins graphics and mods for Invision. vBulletin is all pay, pay and pay... except for a German site offering some skins and graphics for free, with the bless of vBulletin, of course.

Mystique, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  11. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I respectfully disagree ;)

While the vB admin interface might be a little bit more confusing than IPB's, it can still easily be maintained by one person.

Also...the subscription manager for vB is identical to IPB's...and there are many more free skins out there for vB than IPB ;)

GTAce, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  12. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They're pretty much the same but I prefer using IPB. :)
    <3 Invision Power Board.

They're also more inexpensive. ;)

EGS, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  13. ForumPosts

ForumPosts Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though I have got an IPB subscription, I'm going to have to go with vbulletin.

It's more expensive, granted, but for that you get a better all around package.

ForumPosts, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  14. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, IPB is more expensive (for owned licenses).

gprime, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  15. dataman

dataman Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like both of them, both are bloated, contain bad coding by design (they both need a lesson on memory management). I think if they developed in C or some other programming language they would understand that. But just having a PHP background limits one's range to (just give more memory );).

Other than that, there are still security holes in vB, I don't know about IPB because I haven't looked at it for some time. I recommend to all my clients Jive Forums, because it's written much better than any other forum package that I have had the chance to look at (code -> structure and design).

dm!

dataman, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  16. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin all the way. Vbulletin is, in my experience, the best you can get and completely worth the money. IPB, however, isn't worth a dime. I'd take phpbb over IPB any day.

Lpspider, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  17. hTK

hTK Peon

Best Answers:
    I've run an IPB board for a year now, it is pretty nice as you can quickly get used to editing the template and stylesheets from within the administration.

Just 2 weeks ago I purchased vBulletin and it made me wish I knew a year ago what I now know. vBulletin may have an uglier admin interface (though this can be opinionated) but it's got much nicer features and capabilities than IPB. Plus you guys are right, the vbulletin.org community is great!

The good thing with IPB though is that you don't have to pay every year with their Lifetime license,
    with vBulletin you have to pay the $30/year to renew the updates subscription.

IPB form business aspect seems to be expanding considerably with the introduction of new products and integration between them. Blog, Chat, Mail. Though you can surely get these for vBulletin as well, IPB would assure that your integration lies with them, and not scattered amongst third party vendors.

If you want good board-statistics, then check out big-boards.com, to the left they have a statistics link and there you can see which boards are being used most and have the highest success in terms of popularity/member base/posts. vBulletin leads the ranks by far.

Costs, money, but it's worth it to most people.

hTK, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  18. biggazillakilla

biggazillakilla Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been running two sites with vB and IPB, and I find that it's much easier for me (someone with little coding knowledge) to get what I want done with vB than with IPB. Not many users have stated a preference, but the ones who have have said that vB is more "welcoming."

biggazillakilla, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  19. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hTK, I love some of the points you brought up...

Regarding the pricing...

vB for 2 years = $190
    IPB for 2 years = $185

I would consider those the same as far as pricing goes. Also note that with IPB, you still must pay $30 each year after the second if you wish to receive support...I just feel like vB's pricing scheme is more flexible.

I'm gonna have to agree on the IPB extensions/add-ons. I love how they are releasing more products that are officially backed by IPS and will integrate perfectly with your forums. Jelsoft should really start doing the same.

GTAce, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  20. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    There are rumors of them doing so, starting with a CMS, for which they've long parked the domain.

gprime, Feb 18, 2006 IP