1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VBulletin or Invision for integrating games?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by felix, Mar 23, 2006.

I'm currently running an active forum with ikonboard. Over the years I've hacked it to death, and I don't really want to change as it seems a bit daunting, but the lack of support and development is making me look elsewhere for a new mod I'm thinking about.

I have seen forums where you can play arcade games within the forums, the high scores are tracked it all integrates quite well. I believe that VBulletin and Invision Power Board can both be modified to add this feature.

I'm wondering if anyone currently uses this mod in their forum? and what they think of it? Does one have more (legal) games than the other or more features? I don't think VB supports multiplayer games yet but as an overall board it seems well supported and updated.

So basically, if you were to switch which one would you go for, bearing in mind the integrated games mod?

felix, Mar 23, 2006 IP
  2. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    vB for sure.

vB and IPB both have arcade add-ons, the difference is that vB has more than one. Even better than that is that one of these that vB has is identical to IPB's version.

I'd say that both have an equal amount of games available to them, but because of the different options you get with vB's arcades and the larger support community...I'd go with vB

GTAce, Mar 23, 2006 IP
  3. felix

felix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the reply and info GT.

I did not realise there is more than one arcade add-on for VB, I thought there was just v3 Arcade.

Looking on vbulleting.org I found that there is indeed a version of ibProArcade for VB. There is actually a new version, 2.5.5, which is supposed to be on its way in a few days time.

So it looks like I'll be taking the plunge and moving my board over to VB, then working on adding some games.

felix, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  4. lappy512

lappy512 Peon

Best Answers:
    lappy512, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  5. felix

felix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Took a look at your forums lappy, nice setup. Interesting that you allow guests to play games as most sites I've seen require you to register to access the games.

I have now decided (I think) to go with VB and setup IBProArcade on that. There does seem to be an issue with playing tournaments, which I read about, where users get logged out before they complete the game, hence the high scores are not recorded, but apparently this has been fixed for the next release.

Although you are using Invision Power Board, how have you found the arcade? Did you encounter many problems or bugs setting it up and using it?

felix, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  6. gprime

gprime Guest

Best Answers:
    Felix, wise move. vB is a more robust BBS. And IBProArcade is the better of the two vB arcades. Naturally, you can find it on vbulletin.org, and download it once you get a valid license.

gprime, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  7. felix

felix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the assurance gp. Moving the forums and setting this up is not something I want to have to do too often, so picking the right scripts first time is important.

Think I better buy in some extra coffee to cover the next few days.

felix, Mar 25, 2006 IP