1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin 4.0 - have they become greedy????

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by giorgioarmani, Oct 13, 2009.

1. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not though. I'm getting a free copy of Windows 7 because my new laptop was Vista and I bought it within a certain time period. (Well if I ever get around to sending in my forms.) That's not happening in this case. One of those posters over there was *cough* expressing his annoyance of only having his license for something like 2 months and is being required to fork over the cash yet again.

theapparatus, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  2. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The issue here is vBulletin hasnt told us before when we purchased the main license that we have to pay seprately for the next version where as windows has mentioned this from before itself.

Bohra, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    lol... okay, well if you buy a server that is bundled with vBulletin 3.x, you would expect 4.x to be free?

Let's say you bought Windows Vista 2 months before Windows 7 came out... Microsoft wouldn't give you Windows 7 for free.

I've never seen anywhere that vBulletin told me vBulletin 4.x would be free when I purchased 3.x.

digitalpoint, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually that would be one of the questions I would be asking. When I got this laptop, I did check to see if the free upgrade would be included. Some of the laptops I came across did not offer it. (Was it Vista Basic that didn't include it?)

I have no real love for Windows but I realize that keeping up to date is a necessity.

When I first started hosting way back when in '9*cough*, I started with a Wildcat server. I remember out of the box it had a wide open SMTP server that was open to relaying and the only way to fix it was to buy the upgrade.

I don;t remember what the time periods were. To be honest, if I was making a purchase and knew that there was a pending upgrade, I'd make sure there was an upgrade path or *cough* I'd fine a temporary solution if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. Mobile-Monster

Mobile-Monster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

When I made the purchase of vbulletin 3.8.x, I was told that the patches would cost $60 a year which is not the case now. I have to pay $175 no matter whether I use VB4 or not. If I bought Windows Vista 2, Microsoft will never force me to buy windows 7 to get the essential security updates for the vista 2.

Mobile-Monster, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Security patches are free until 3.8.x is officially end of lifed... I think that is when 4.2.x comes out, but I could be wrong. vBulletin has always done it that way... This is how it would be when 4.1 is released (for example):

Version       Level of Support
        Current  4.1    Full Support
        V(-1)    4.0    Bug + Security
        V(-2)    3.8    Security
        V(-3)    3.7    End of Life
    Code (markup):

7. Mobile-Monster

Mobile-Monster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn you are pretty much correct here. Security patches are indeed free irrespective of whether you have paid the annual maintenance fee or not :eek:

Mobile-Monster, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  8. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, Ray Morgan said vB4 would be free for active license users.

The problem you don't seem to understand Shawn is not really the money. It is in some way, because they approached it in a NEGATIVE way. IB played these tricks and turns on customers and did it to benefit their own selves. If you treat your customers like crap.. regardless of the pay. They are going to hate it and move on.

I'm at the vB forums practically daily, so I know what goes on. You probably haven't been there as much. So from your point of view it's just about the fee. $130 and your done... but it's not so much about the fee as it is about respect.

BTW, they benefit more by keeping you than pissing you off. If DP moved away from vB to IPB... they would be screwed.

True, but that doesn't mean programmers out there can't put up patches themselves. It's not that hard if you know what you are doing...

Cal813, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  9. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    No disrespect to Shawn but DP is a drop in the bucket compared to some VB installs out there. They all pay the same prices for the licenses as well.

Chances are they're making their money off of the hosted installs anyway.

10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They don't do hosted installs, but yeah... I was about to say the same thing. This is certainly one of the larger vBulletin forums, but vB certainly wouldn't be screwed if we moved to IPB and they lost out on $130. :)

I'd say there's move value in the code I've written over the years for scalability stuff that has been adopted by vBulletin here and there. :)

In fact, just showed them today how to rewrite a single SQL query (that is run every time a user views forumdisplay.php). It give the same results, but take far less DB resources and in my case makes a query run in 0.01 seconds (vBulletin's way of doing it takes 0.5 seconds to run). So yeah... every page view of forumdisplay.php is half a second faster now (and DB servers aren't nearly as stressed).

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?322879-MySQL-Subqueries

11. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about losing $130.

Think about the rumour spreading!

"DP changes from vB to IPB"... There must be something wrong with vB is what people will think. And that in turn hurts vB's rep when a large board decides to move, when a so called product "vB" is supposed to be the best.

I think vB has been good, but in the future it's going to go down hill. I would say vB4.0 or 3.8 will be the last best version.

Cal813, Oct 27, 2009 IP
  12. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking IPB when I said that. Was thinking it from the other thread.

http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting

They do offer paid phone support though. Paid ticket support for the forum purchases as well.

theapparatus, Oct 28, 2009 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ticket support is free for vBulletin Suite owners. But that certainly wasn't the selling point for me (I've never once needed it).

digitalpoint, Oct 28, 2009 IP
  14. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same here...

For those that did get the suite.. hope the cms and blog are good... well those that will use it.

I still have a few days to upgrade... but I'm thinking I most likely wont...

Who knows, if vB4 actually turns out well and IB changes their ways. Maybe they will have another discount sale down the future for members to upgrade.

Although, I predict vB to take a huge hit within the next 2 years.

Cal813, Oct 28, 2009 IP
  15. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see the new "CMS" as being anything to brag about, in fact from the little I've seen it, I'm not impressed at all.

Brandon Sheley, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  16. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Rite vbulletin is mainly a forum and shoould stay as a forum software not a portal software

Bohra, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  17. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's ridiculous that they can't at least show a demo of it.

Pixelrage, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  18. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people are thinking the same as you. This can be seen at the vbulletin forums.

tercede, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  19. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well.. I agree. I mean we do see presales, but to pay for something at $100-300 USD isn't easy on presales. Smaller items can get away with presale pricing. It's like selling a car before it's fully made versus selling a video game, which will be due out.

Cal813, Oct 29, 2009 IP
  20. i2k

i2k Peon

Best Answers:
    So,
    If you have an active license of vBulletin 3.x, the update to vBulletin 4.x is free and you don't have to pay for upgrades 1-2-3 years, depending of the lifetime of vBulletin 4.x.
    When the'll be realeasing vbulletin 5.x you'll have to pay $xxx the money that you would have payed for upgrades in the 1-2-3years lifetime of vBulletin 4.x.
    It's the same thing, the only difference is that you just have to pay in advance.

i2k, Oct 31, 2009 IP