1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VBSeo vs Zoints

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by eXe, Mar 21, 2007.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't use mod_rewrite, you can go back from either package.

I've said repeatedly, with vBulletin you do not need mod_rewrite and I don't think it adds any significant advantage. That5's true regardless of whether you opt for Zoints SEO or vBSEO or something else.

Once you use mod_rewrite, yes you are kinda stuck, because to reverse it means (usually) having the problem of re-rewriting or un-rewriting all those mod_rewritten URLs that were indexed in the interim.

If you really think mod_rewrite is a good idea or insist on using it, you still don't need vBSEO. You can do it with Zoints SEO or with vRewrite for free.

minstrel, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  2. chris20492002

chris20492002 Guest

Best Answers:
    whats vrewrite?

chris20492002, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  3. jward

jward Active Member

Best Answers:
    Note: If you use forum, thread, and user IDs in your CRR (Custom Rewrite Rule) format, you can set-up reverse .htaccess redirects to 301 redirect static URLs back to dynamic URLs - if for any reason you ever decided to do so.

jward, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
  5. KniveZ

KniveZ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zoints is free and not too hard to use.

KniveZ, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  6. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    But still u loose pages right, how long does it take for 301 to get new pages indexed and also does it work at all, has anyone actually tried it or its just a simulation done in some lab ?

paidhosting, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    no one can tell you how long it will take for your site to get indexed ;)

and the htaccess would work, no "lab testing" needed :p

just google "vBulletin SEO" and you'll get some good advice from several sites like daniweb, vb-faq, time2dine, vbseo and several others well b4 any mention of the zoints seo product ;)

Zoints owner even supports vbseo on some of his own sites

zoints is fine but..
    no sitemap to submit rewritten urls
    no official support

both these are major deciding factors in my mind for any long-term SEO ;)
    -Bs

Brandon Sheley, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  8. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zoints was primary made because of it being free. Everyone wanted to add a SEO and vBSEO was just too highly priced. No one could really afford it. Then Pirated copies came out and vBSEO had to drop their prices down a bit. Still though, it isn't enough. I know it's great software and support, but charging someone close to what the ACTUAL software is worth, just doesn't cut it.

Cal813, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  9. chris20492002

chris20492002 Guest

Best Answers:

they dropped the price :O How much was it before?

also how does vrewrite compare to zoints if anyone has used the 2.

chris20492002, Mar 24, 2007 IP
    sjsjsj215 likes this.
  10. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin is sef out of the box just fine ....

iatbm, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Or Google Zoints SEO and get different advice :rolleyes:

There are several free add-ons that create sitemaps automatically.

That and your vBSEO affiliate status...

vRewrite is simply a mod_rewrite solution. I've stated repeatedly that you do ot need this with vBulletin but it will rewrite your URLs if you insist. Zoints will also do that, if you insist.

minstrel, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  12. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats such a horrible exageration, not only is vbulletin fine how it is right out of the box but the few things that both Zoints and VBSEO provide will only help you a little.

The main thing they push is mod-rewrite which is next to useless.

ninjashoes, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  13. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yea and once forum is big rewritten urls will start making problems .... the money you then throw at hosting is huge. Ya know it is resources thing and not bandwidth Loco...just so you know ;) The difference is quite big and if you take money from non-rewritten urls and invest in seo ( YES there are other ways ) you can make your forum rank higher than that of Loco.M :D

oh and btw when I saw thread title I knew Loco would come here and post all kinds of crap...

iatbm, Mar 24, 2007 IP
    Cal813 and minstrel like this.
  14. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen boards using JUST vB itself and are all over google. There also quite packed and active, so you don't see them using any sort of SEO except for what vB has in default.

Cal813, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  15. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also was thinking just now.. if vBSEO did decrease their prices, they would have a tough time with current members. Just because they all paid extra and would be frusterated... I can't see how they would or could account for that...

Cal813, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt they will have hard time with current users, they can just provide free upgrades to them for next 2 years, that will not be hard, but i doubt vbseo would do that cause they are more into marketing and money.

Plus yaa if their price was 35$ for license(i doubt its worth more than that) i would not mind getting one and they would make more profit by lowering the price than trying to market their product cause more customers will sign up up. Buts that's my marketing strategy they got their own and its perfectly normal.

Another strategy they can adopt and would be success also is provide the 1st year of use @ $35 for new forums only (can continue to charge high for well developed forums cause they already got the green for purchasing it). After the 1st year if those new customers want to use the software or want to own it they must pay the normal fee.

Look at this way : Vbseo will be charging upgrade fee for the 1st year and for the next year the original fee and can than continue charging 35$ for next upgrade. So they actually do not loose anything.But gain more new customers

Took only 3 days for site to be indexed (usually all my sites take 3 days to get indexed cause one of my site is a magnet for google and serps) , vb was still out of box still, no zoints or anything was on it.

Cheers

paidhosting, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  17. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also look at the renewal fee. Wow.. vBSEO is really trying to grab as much money as possible. $35 for a renewal, yet the ACTUAL software (vbulletin) is $30.

Also buying bulk licences has no discount. vB gives you a discount if you have 2 licences and buy a 3rd, or if you have 1 and buy 2 more. I really feel bad for the people who emptied their pockets out for this software.

Cal813, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  18. jward

jward Active Member

Best Answers:
  19. Cal813

Cal813 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see how that works the same way that vB does it? vB STILL counts the licences bought in the past towards the discount.

Cal813, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  20. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whats with the animosity towards vbseo in this thread?

I requested a simple comparison of features & opinions of both products feature-wise and this whole thread is riddled with posts criticizing vbseo's price.

eXe, Mar 24, 2007 IP