1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Value Of Instant PR8?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by digitalpoint, May 4, 2004.

?

What what you pay for an instant PR8?

1. $10,000/month

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. $7,500/month

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. $4,000/month

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. $1,000/month

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Would never pay

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
    I'm curious what people think the value of an instant PageRank 8 would be? Ultimately giving tens of thousands of links across hundreds of PR8 and PR9 sites (which yields a PR8 to the destination without any other links).

This is not a "for sale" offer, so please be honest...

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 4, 2004 IP
  2. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    Instant PR8 wouldn't mean anything if the keyword anchors weren't correct. However, using correct keyword anchors coupled with the PR8 ranking, it is my personal belief that a PR8 ranking would dominate 90% of the keywords on the internet.

Hexed

hexed, May 4, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right... I should have mentioned that. Anchor text of your choosing as well.

- Shawn

4. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is any question that $4000 a month for such a setup would be hasty if your business could rake in $40000 a month in revenue, such as credit card merchants, etc.

I don't pay for links however the advertising I do for edsolutions.ca is probably about 30% of my total revenue. This includes flyers, news paper ads to local newspapers, etc. So I don't see how online advertising should be any different if the market was there. Obivously Toronto computer service isn't globally marketed and for the most part we'd be throwing away our money.

However, if we were to open a 24/7 1-900 tech hotline, thats a different story..

Hexed

hexed, May 4, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the site and the product and the profit margin.

Even if a PR8 and the right anchor text put your at #1 in the SERPs, and I'm skeptical about that, you still have to convert the visitors when they hit your site. If all the elements don't work you could just be blasting your money away not matter what the price.

In the end it has to be decided on ROI.

Shawn, I'm mildly surprised at you asking the question. I didn't think you were a big fan of PR. Can you tell us your motivation for starting this thread?

compar, May 4, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    While not a "big" fan of PageRank, I still think it has value. Mostly was just curious though. It's not like I have a PR8 site anywhere, so... :)

As far as it having different values based on the type of site. I agree... so maybe I should have phrased it as What value would it have to you personally?

- Shawn

7. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true, high PR doesn't mean as much as it did, and frankly I'm not a fan of PR either.

However, an instant PR8 with 1000s of properly formatted and thoughtout backlinks would dominate most any SERPs.

Hexed

hexed, May 4, 2004 IP
  8. kusadasi-guy

kusadasi-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    not only anchor text, themed site is more important i think.
    For example; a link from a PR8 Computer site to a travel site is almost nothing. i have several PR7 links but the result is unsatisfactory... Topic Sensitive PR is more important IMHO...

kusadasi-guy, May 4, 2004 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would agree to some extent. But I think once you get over a certain level, the themed linking has less value. I'm pretty sure tons of PR8 and PR9 links would be beneficial to anyone (at least anyone looking for link development) regardless of the theme of those links.

- Shawn

10. kusadasi-guy

kusadasi-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, it's perfect. You can buy high PR links for a domain then links to your other domains.

(PR8 links to WebSite-A, then
    Website-A links your site B-C-D ...etc)

BTW, what you mean by "getting over a certain level" ?

11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    By getting over a certain level, I meant that theming has a higher weight for lower PageRank links. So once you are over a certain level (for example PR6), they have value regardless of the theme.

- Shawn

12. kusadasi-guy

kusadasi-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    This subject is so interesting nowadays. I would like to ask a question.

For example, you have a site and have PR5.
    Do you want 20-30 quality, natural and themed Back Links from PR4-5 websites or just 1 or 2 PR8 link(s) from irrelavant themed site(s)? Which one would be your prefer?

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would take the 1 or 2 PR8 links.

- Shawn

14. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:

I'll take the 20 - 30 natural and themed back links.

I’ve been in the market for links for quite some time and have just started making a few small purchases. I feel like I’ve seen just about “pitch” for text link ads that exists…. high PR, low PR, expensive, not so expensive, related, not related….the list goes on.

Maybe it’s the traditional marketer in me, but I’ve been completely ignoring PR when looking at sites to buy links on. I’m primarily concerned with theme, with traffic being equally as important. Granted, theme & traffic being some what equal I'm taking the higher PR site if the price is right.

During the buying process I’ve continued to ask myself “what if Google changed it all tomorrow? Where would I be?” Google does have a habit of surprises. If the whole importance of linking changed tomorrow & I disappeared from the serps I want my links to be where my best potential customers may be in hopes that they will visit my site(s). While I doubt any of that will happen, if I’m paying for the link I may as well feel like I’m getting a little “protection” from the whims of Google.

That all applies to buying links. When it comes to free links or directory submissions just point me to the sign up form :)

GuyFromChicago, May 4, 2004 IP
  15. hamaki

hamaki Peon

Best Answers:
    if one believes in dominating G SERPs in business is important, then i would treat buying a PR8 link just like any other marketing expense. to put a price on this tool depends on too many factors though... so let me just say that buying PR is a real option to be considered vs never put down money for a link.

hamaki, May 4, 2004 IP
  16. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    If that PR8 is coming from an auth site for your theme, well, the result I think is obvious. If it's a heavy theme (ie real estate) it'll do wonders IMHO.

If you're asking in terms of financial value, it's a matter of (as compar said) ROI. Onsell a link or 20 and you might cover the initial investment.

If it's off theme, it's just another 40%er.. (just another pr builder). The 40% bit is my figure as to the importance of overall PR.. it's seat of the pants and highly speculative but there you have it.. I just wish I could remember where I read it :)

Here's a question: If I had 10,000 PR3 pages within a site (ie my homepage has pr8 which propagates inward to become say 10,000 pages at PR3).. and I linked from them all to external site B-related. What cumulative effect would they have in terms of PR (ignoring the crawl time of course).

It's a legitimate question, I'd like to hear your thoughts :)

john_loch, May 4, 2004 IP
  17. kusadasi-guy

kusadasi-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Very good question. :rolleyes:
    certainly, i prefer PR8 link. But if i havent any other site, have just 1 website, i prefer 20-30 natural-themed back links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&c2coff=1&q=internet+marketing
    (PR6 websites kicking PR7 websites)

1-2 months ago, one of mysite was PR6 and it was kicked by 2 PR4 websites.

And yes GuyFromChicago, themed backlinks brings traffic and prospective customers.

kusadasi-guy, May 5, 2004 IP
  18. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have pr7 for free - just as a result fo some 20'000+ hrs of work during the past 7 yrs - and all under direct control and hence reproducable at any given time
    i few weeks ago i had pr6 and all was like NOW

the 5-10% traffic increase per month is entirely the result of more new chapters and better services as well as improved or updated SEO

i see no difference between pr7 or pr8 o reven pr9 ..
    i had plenty of #1 keypword positions before when i had pr6 and has similar number (98x #1 and 163x among top ten ) now.
    i did NOT see any increase in serps as a result of pr6-7 move.
    more chapters, more topics, more articles, more and better quality always end up in increase in traffic ... i am sure that is applicable for all site owners.

whatever you have achieved step by step as a result fo work rather than links is reproducable
    whatever you win from links ove rnight can be lost over night and suddenly you are back to 0.

so if you are for whatever reason #1 or even among top 3-10 in any site relevant keyword combination .. then pls what exactly are additional benefits of higher PR ??

may be i fail to get an important message or miss to see a point

is the adsense click price higher for higher PR ??

hans, May 5, 2004 IP
  19. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Couple of PR5 carefully interlinked domains gives you daily sometimes twice daily crawl by G and interestingly if Y value is close you get Y and I crawl you daily as well.

Once one has an estanblished presence a PR4/5 for starters is easy to achive the above.

PR will have to change to include a relevancy element and I hope that G applies some brakes to links like only valuing one link per domain.

PR8 is a nice to have but it's lost it's importantce.

Linking structure will come under more scruteny as presently it's just too easy to manipulate G by just taking out the cheque book out and buy 1000's of links.

M

expat, May 5, 2004 IP
  20. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    With regard to Hans' post - I can certainly see how the difference between PR 6 and PR 7 might not be a major one in many markets. I do, however, think the difference from 4 to 5 is quite significant and also from 5 to 6. Once you are at 6 than you'll have a leg up on at least be on par with most sites competing for a lesser-competitive term or regional searches. The 7,8,9s I think are really just necessary for highly competitive, national competition.

Anyhow, since no one actually said a number I'll say one... $1,000 to $1,500 or so.

I'm cheap and poor so that's why its so low, plus the fact that the PR, however high, is still one component in the mix. Even if my site would then become without a doubt the dominant player in my regional market in the SERPs I wouldn't be adding a dramatically greater amount of traffic as it already does pretty well. And then of course there's the whole idea that only X% will even turn into leads, and then from that X% into clients....

ephricon, May 5, 2004 IP