1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Validating site maps

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by MaryMach, Aug 13, 2012.

I used www.xml-sitemaps.com to generate a sitemap for my new website. I've never tried to validate a sitemap before, but wondered if I should. When I tried to validate it at the W3School site, I got the following message:

Result of Validating: http://www.st-petersburg-attorneys.com/sitemap.xml
    Failure

Am I doing something wrong, or are we not supposed to attempt to validate sitemaps?

Also, there's a statement at the top of my map:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Is this a problem?

MaryMach, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  2. mnmani

mnmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mnmani, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  3. MaryMach

MaryMach Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks, mnmani . . . It's good to know that the message about style is normal.

I'm not sure what to do about the other now. I tested the sitemap at Google Webmaster Tools and it says there are no errors found. But the site you link to says it does not validate because it has an undefined root element. Which should I believe?

If Google is wrong, maybe I should try generating a map at some site other than www.xml-sitemaps.com since this map was apparently generated by this site with a mistake?

MaryMach, Aug 13, 2012 IP