1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Validate, validate, validate!

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Owlcroft, Jul 20, 2004.

The factory over at SEO Tools, Toys, and Packages has been working overtime, and there's a new tool out: Validate.

Validate will automatically submit all the pages of all your sites--but under your selective control--to the renowned W3C Validator, gather the results, and present you with by-site web-paged summaries of pages that did not validate, with each listing being a click-on link to the W3C Validator detailed report on that page, so you can see at once how and why it failed validation.

The tool is designed so as to easily be run nightly as a cron job. It allows selective skipping of directories on a by-site basis, so that archival or test files need not waste validation time.

And it is, of course, 100% free.

Like all my SEO tools, toys, and packages, it is not earth-shattering in its originality, but does, in my opinion, provide easy, solid, useful, and--above all--immediately useful practical help in actually SEO-improving one's sites.

All I can say to recommend it is that, like every tool I offer, it is closely derived from something I have long used myself.

Incidentally, if you haven't looked in on the site in a while, I've been adding a few "white papers" on SEO topics. "I only know what I read in the papers," as Will Rogers famously remarked, but I do try to read a lot of papers.

Owlcroft, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  2. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    This address is not correct owlcroft!

I get your sorry page!

Foxy, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  3. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a great tool and would like to try it when it is available.

mushroom, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    I just now clicked on both uses of the link in the original posting, at the word
    Validate (and I just checked this one in another window), and all worked OK for me.

But let me set it out in plain text:
    seo-toys.com/validate-seo-tool/validate-tool.shtml

Please try again, and let me know if you still don't reach the page.

Owlcroft, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  5. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your page loads fine but the link to the actual tool seems dead: http://seo-toys.com/validate-tool/validate010.zip

l0cke, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  6. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    It's the Zip file that dose not work.

mushroom, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  7. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, now I get it.

Yup, lesson in hand, don't change a directory's name after posting links to it.

Large dunce cap being donned.

But the link will work now.

Owlcroft, Jul 21, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Some further upgrades in the other tools and toys have now taken place. The list, and current levels, now are:

"Freebie" (add thousands of pages): v. 1.00 (finally!)

"Validate" (bulk-submit to w3c validator): v. 0.10 (newly released)

"Weather" (page dropin for anywhere in the world): v. 0.30 (just upgraded)

"Rates" (page dropin with currency-exchange rates): v. 0.20 (just upgraded)

"Via" ("hide" links from bots): v. 1.00 (unchanging)​
    There are also some "SEO Tips" white papers on the site--basic stuff, but you never know what can help.

Owlcroft, Jul 24, 2004 IP
  9. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Note to anyone using my "Rates" dropin package:

The International Monetary Fund, with no notice on any of their pages, just drastically changed the format of their exchange-rates data file. I have made a new v. 0.30 to handle that, but previous versions will not work--worse, they may look like they're working, but continue to give out-of-date numbers.

Please switch to the new version asap.

They also now apparently update that file every 20 minutes through the business day, and I will soon have a version 0.31 that will grab the data "live", rather than archiving it nightly.

Also: the "Weather" package has been upgraded to 0.31 with a patch to exit cleanly if the raw XML feed goes down (as it did last night for the first time in my experience).

And, finally, the "Validate" package has been fixed since original release so that the cron interface script will work right.

Owlcroft, Jul 26, 2004 IP