1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

v7ndotcom elursrebmem SEO Contest

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by hulkster, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Team Aussie is a serious, serious contendor - my guess is you have the most 'relevant' links from all the V7N competitors, since your scorecards were natural link bait.

So are you going to 301/302 redirect all your landing pages onto one a week before the end of the contest to see if that will push you to the top?

hulkster, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  2. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Well, yes, i do have a few links :)

But redirection - no, that's not on the books. As for one week.. that would be leaving things a tad late..

I do have the odd parry or two up my sleeve.. you'll just have to wait and see ;)

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  3. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to seeing what you send up doing John - I hope when all the dust clears, you can share what you did.

Good luck.

hulkster, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  4. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Nice recovery there alek !

LaCabra, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  5. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats man!
    I am glad to see you back in the race :) Whats that secret move you did to get back now again ?

This last month will be very exciting to follow.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  6. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    He called in a favor from his buddy Matt!

LaCabra, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, Matt said he'd take the penalty off, but only 30% of it for now ... 30% the next week, and then the reminder the following week ... he didn't want me to move too fast up the rankings. Said I should be slam dunk to win based on the PR/SERP magna-flux rating after all that, but just in case, he'll add a page rank 100 weighting factor on May 10th.

He also said they're watching all the coop weight getting tossed around, especially to the top ranking sites and debating how to deal with those guys and their sites.

;-)

hulkster, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Speaking of that, has anyone seen the IP address 64.233.173.89 come pay them a visit? I've seen some pretty bizzarro web log entries from this guy, and ONLY on my contest domain. Spoofs a referrer URL (and other stuff) that invariably seems to be a recently added link, so it is aware of stuff pretty darn quick. And while that IP doesn't resolve, it belongs to Google.

WebMasterWorld talked about him a while back.

hulkster, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  9. toms

toms Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice move Alek it's now time for serious things :)

toms, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  10. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    So you know someone that affects your ranking and does it as a personal favor for you??? Please explain this a bit further I have no clue???

About the Coop tossing :) If this would end up in sites getting penalized and perhaps even banned it would be a sure way to say that Google bowling works.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  11. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Now now, you know that none of us would be using the co-op to get our sites to the top!! :D:D That's a no-no!!! :D:D

Nintendo, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  12. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Can you point to the weblog entries ?
    Also I'd like to see the agent string.

I'm interested to know how you ascertain he's spoofing referrer data, when it actually exists (or do the new links you mentioned actually not point to the pages being requested ?)

At the end of the day, there's likely nothing to worry about unless you're cloaking.

You'll find that some folk use proxies or services attached to Google in the hope that they'll spy cloaked pages (half the people cloaking nowadays are actually sloppy enough to use out of date IP's, entire C class blocks, or worse, agent strings to discriminate between bots and clients).. not to mention G's own service which invariably comes into play when ppl report bogus sites.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    The user agent string varies. I'm certain the refererrer is spoofed because in a few cases, it's been a site I own, and that IP hasn't looked at the listed referrer site. I also notice in several cases that it pulls the html, but not the referenced images, which is indicative of some sort of spider.

So has anyone else seen that IP address pop up in their web logs?

hulkster, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Marcus ... Alek is a very good friend of Matt Cutts ... he was a job reference for Matt during his interview with Google. Matt started off as a little dwarf/peon at Google but quickly moved up in the corporate ladder, primarily due to Alek's help at night. You can read all about Matt in his blog. Matt also helped Alek build his cement patio/deck and helped him setup his huge BBBQ. So basically, Matt owes a lot to Alek. They have been personal friends now for about 8.5 years. :D

Alek can you put a few links to your BBQ and cement patio/deck?:)

LaCabra, Apr 8, 2006 IP
  15. Greenguy

Greenguy Guest

Best Answers:

The stories Matt tells about Alek at PubCon and SES are amazing. Like the time Alek had to hold Matt back in that bar room...I mean chat room brawl. My favorite Matt/Alek story is the one about them getting high on Redbull and Jolt and hacking Yahoo's site and making it say "HULK SMASH PUNY YAHOOLIGANS". Good times, good times.

On a side note not only is his main page coming back but the interior ones are showing signs of growth. The black hats page is coming back at a 6 according to McDar and his bowling page is doing very nicely also. Sweet...

Now Alek about those rats, .357 or bathtub napalm?:confused:

Greenguy, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  16. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Yahhhh ... did you hear about the one were while on a road trip, Alek went to a lingerie store to buy his wife some sexy "pantha thangs" ? Apparently Matt bet Alek $50 he wouldn't put them on and run down the hotel hallway. Alek put them on and while running down the hall tripped and smashed into the ice machine and knocked himself out. Matt had to call the concierge to help hall him back into the room. LMAO

:D

LaCabra, Apr 11, 2006 IP
  17. Greenguy

Greenguy Guest

Best Answers:
    I loved the time when we were all at SES in San Jose. Matts doing his speech on spam. Just then Alek busts in the side door dressed in a hocky mask and weilding a chainsaw. He chases Matt around the room yelling something about Matt banning his BBQ Grill page. The best part was when Alek tripped going up the stairs and fell pulling ol' Sergei down with him. Chainsaw still running Alek looked up at him and said deadpan, "This won't affect my rankings will it?"

I think we discovered the reason for the "Google Bowling" right Alek?

Greenguy, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  18. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    For those of you interested in grabbing a v7ndotcom PR6 link (with some fun and info thrown in), this post might be of interest to you ;)

Daily PR6 Link Draw

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  19. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thought I had responded to this earlier, but yea, I saw that too and wondered "what-up" ... went away in a day, so my guess also is an April Fools joke by someone at the big "G"

hulkster, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  20. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Actually ... that was a little experiment I did (took you guys a little to comment on it I was surprised). I threw 50% of my coop weight at it (plus some secret ingredients) and 4 days later poooof #5. Look out for May 2 and Team Canada! We may be quite BUT we're not asleep !!!! Fasten your seatbelts! ;)

LaCabra, Apr 14, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.